~Adobe Illustrator book ??

  • Sonja
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 6, 2012
      Is there a good book on Adobe Illustrator for Dress pattern drafting?
      I see books on Amazon about AI used in Fashion Design.. But I would like info on how to create the patterns to sew the designs..
      Can some one recommend a book for me?

      Thanks.
      Sonja
    • stiksteek
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 31, 2012
        Hi Sonja,

        If you know how to draw lines and curves in AI, and if AI has a feature that allows you to measure both lines, and curves, and angles, you should be ok with any flat pattern drafting book of your liking. Most of them will teach you how to draw lines, or curves or angles, from a to b and c and d for a skirt, or a dress, or a pair of pants. The lengths of these lines will depend on your measurements. Printing the design requires a printer for large paper formats. Alternatively you can print tiles and tape them together.
        Getting the patterns to fit you properly, however, will certainly take a bit of practice, even if you follow all the rules of patterndrafting. It all depends on your body type in relation to the standard figurine used in the book you are using. So always make a sloper and see how well the pattern fits and where it needs personal adjustments.
        Hope this helps.
        Helen