Re: [Paternosters] Re: Greetings

  • Claire Curtis
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 30, 2004
      On Nov 30, 2004, at 3:04 PM, Leesa Orton wrote:

      > Grrr...I am not going to feed small beads to my child. I am searching
      > for a SAFE way to attach beads to a garment since she enjoyed playing
      > with a strand of them. If there's no safe way to do it...no beads
      > until she's bigger. Please do not mistake my questioning about how to
      > do something as a willingness to endanger my child for the sake of a
      > game. Sorry for seeming peevish. I know you (plural) are speaking out
      > of concern for my child and I thank you for your input. So...any
      > suggestions? I like the idea of large wooden beads and will probably
      > make her a string of large wooden beads to play with (or drill holes
      > through blocks, etc.). I happen to tablet weave, so I love the idea of
      > a tubular woven string for strength and durability. Any other ideas?
      > Molly

      Sorry, Molly... didn't mean to imply that you would knowingly put your
      child in harms way. However, there are so many folks who wouldn't
      think twice about making something 'look pretty' and ignore or be
      oblivious to the dangers involved.

      Some of the craft stores like Michael's have an area where you can
      purchase unfinished wooden pieces such as large beads. When I was
      growing up my grandmother gave my younger sister and me a rosary made
      out of big wooden beads. You might be able to find something
      ready-made at a Catholic gift shop if that's something you are
      interested in. But I think the unfinished wooden beads are what you
      may want to look into first. I don't know what they cure any of this
      stuff with so you might want to check out that before giving it to a
      baby who is all about putting it into the mouth for any and all
      exploration! LOL

      Again, sorry to have upset you... wasn't my intention.

      Aleta

    • Renee Robinson
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 8, 2004
        Sorry for the OT but, Molly Bell, you're on this
        list???

        Greetings from Calafia :)

        Millie doesn't put things like beads in her mouth
        (she's a food only goes in there girl), but I have
        found that she's not able to break strings of beads
        made with flexwire.

        Gwerith (Bran)

        --- "ldmolly@..." <ldmolly@...>

        http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
      • ldmolly@gmpexpress.net
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 9, 2004
          How great to hear from home!! I can't imagine how big
          Millie has gotten! How is the doting Daddy doing? How are
          you? Kailey is pulling herself up and trying to walk. I
          miss being surrounded by all of the talented folks in the
          Barony (but fortunately thanks to this list I get to pick
          the brains of talented people from all over the Knowne
          World). Are you working on anything cool? (Or is being a
          Mommy and Super-lawyer enough of a challenge for you?)
          hahaha
          Molly
        • Marion McNealy
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 27, 2004
            Greetings to the list

            I've been following Chris's blog for a few weeks and have been inspired to make a red coral rosary circa Germany 1500's. The beads just arrived from Fire Mountain today. The plan is to string them on 2/30 weight cream silk thread, either tablet woven or finger looped.

            A little bit about me...
            My name is Marion, in the SCA I go by Sophia Kress, currently I live in the West in the Barony of Darkwood. I have a website for my adventures in 1500's German clothing, cooking and research finds, www.curiousfrau.com

            -Marion