Mid 15th Century European Paternosters

  • uxbridgefox
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 29, 2013
      I have a question about the little pouches that are shown with these two mid 15th Century paternosters. Would these be reliquary pouches? And if they are what kind of reliquary would be in the pouch? Any ideas.

      Thanks for any ideas!
      Annette

      Mary of Burgundy Hours
      http://www.wga.hu/art/zgothic/miniatur/1451-500/2netherl/02n_1452.jpg

      Catherine of Cleves Hours
      http://www.usc.edu/dept/comp-lit/tympanum/3/images/folio320r_insert.jpg
    • Anplica Fiore
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 29, 2013
        The fabric object in the Mary of Burgundy Hours looks to be a small
        pillow to me. At least that's how I'm reading the 2 different fabrics
        on it. I would bet the small chest in this image is what the
        paternoster came out of.

        The Catherine of Cleves Hours pouch could just be a pouch that holds
        the paternoster when it's not in use.

        What do others think?
        An

        On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 2:17 PM, uxbridgefox <fox3785@...> wrote:
        > I have a question about the little pouches that are shown with these two mid 15th Century paternosters. Would these be reliquary pouches? And if they are what kind of reliquary would be in the pouch? Any ideas.
        >
        > Thanks for any ideas!
        > Annette
        >
        > Mary of Burgundy Hours
        > http://www.wga.hu/art/zgothic/miniatur/1451-500/2netherl/02n_1452.jpg
        >
        > Catherine of Cleves Hours
        > http://www.usc.edu/dept/comp-lit/tympanum/3/images/folio320r_insert.jpg

        Baroness Anpliça Fiore, Scrooby Herald
        Event Infomation Officer - Kingdom of Northshield

        Protégé to Meister Gevehard von Baden
        Apprentice to Dame Siobhan Medhbh O'Roarke