Re: [Paternosters] Black string necklaces

  • silveroak@juno.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2013
      Greetings,

      >I'm intrigued by the knot "with trailing ends in a cross shape" -- would like to see examples. I can certainly imagine cross-shaped *knots* -- I know how to tie at least one -- but having the loose ends shaped into a cross with no structure to hold them puzzles me and I'm having trouble visualizing it.

      There could be a stiffening wire inside it, or it could have been painted with a watered-down glue. Perhaps even starch??

      >I believe -- though I'm speculating again -- that the metal "scapular medals" that take the place of a scapular are a modern innovation, probably popular at least partly because they don't require regular washing. Also, they don't itch ;)

      I'm also speculating - what if the itch was part of the point? Thinking of the penitentes and such; a constant reminder of Christ's suffering?

      -Carowyn

      Woman is 53 But Looks 25
      http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5130d87035406587076f9st04duc