Re: [Paternosters] Black string necklaces

  • jillwheezul
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 26, 2013
      Chris wrote:

      > As for scapulars, if I had to speculate on the basis of no evidence,
      > I'd think that 15th- or 16th-century scapulars would likely be something
      > like the first one I received -- two tabs of wool cloth connected by
      > cords. The wool cloth is part of the symbolism -- the lay person's
      > "scapular" is an abbreviated version of the original "scapular" which is
      > an apron-like object -- originally an actual work apron -- worn over a
      > monastic habit. It's essentially a very long narrow rectangle of wool
      > cloth about the width of a person's shoulders, with a hole cut in the
      > middle for the head, hanging down to somewhere between knee and ankle
      > level both front and back.
      >
      > I believe -- though I'm speculating again -- that the metal "scapular
      > medals" that take the place of a scapular are a modern innovation,
      > probably popular at least partly because they don't require regular
      > washing.
      >
      > Also, they don't itch ;)

      I report:

      In the way that these things are serendipitous, yesterday I checked out
      "Die Grafen von Sulz und ihr Begräbnis in Tiengen am Hochrhein" by Ilse
      Fingerlin that came via Inter Library Loan. Interestingly I learned that
      there are 17 coffins investigated from the 16th and 17th century. Many of
      the remains had both clothing and other items recovered, including
      scapulars and rosaries of different sorts. Chris, I thought this might be
      of interest as several of the devotional beads are still on their original
      silk cords and they do vary in style. One of the scapulars has what may be
      an encrusted oval medallion sewn on and they seem to be made of dark felt
      squares and narrow-ware silk bands that hold them together.

      Katherine
    • silveroak@juno.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2013
        Greetings,

        >I'm intrigued by the knot "with trailing ends in a cross shape" -- would like to see examples. I can certainly imagine cross-shaped *knots* -- I know how to tie at least one -- but having the loose ends shaped into a cross with no structure to hold them puzzles me and I'm having trouble visualizing it.

        There could be a stiffening wire inside it, or it could have been painted with a watered-down glue. Perhaps even starch??

        >I believe -- though I'm speculating again -- that the metal "scapular medals" that take the place of a scapular are a modern innovation, probably popular at least partly because they don't require regular washing. Also, they don't itch ;)

        I'm also speculating - what if the itch was part of the point? Thinking of the penitentes and such; a constant reminder of Christ's suffering?

        -Carowyn

        Woman is 53 But Looks 25
        http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5130d87035406587076f9st04duc