Making a Wiccan/Goddess Rosary

  • Winterhaven
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 13, 2004
      Whew! I just finished a great project for a friend of mine! I was talking
      to a group I had offered to make rosaries for and one lady drew me aside
      and told me that, since she was Wiccan, she wondered if there was some
      special sort of rosary I could make. Well, I'm dead keen on challenges so I
      told her I'd research it. She said she didn't want a Christian one or one
      that could be mistaken for Christian. I hit the web.

      All the Goddess rosaries and Wiccan rosaries were modeled on the Roman
      five-decade style but with differences like putting an animal charm or
      dolphin or moon or whatever in place of the fall and the Paters. H'mmm...

      So I set to work. For the end piece (crucifix) I put a medal with the
      Goddess on one side, the labyrinth on the other. It's been kicking around
      my whatnot box for a year and I decided this would be the place to use it.
      For the Pater beads I used jade beads, hand blown glass beads of a matching
      green color and one aventurine bead. For the Aves I used Mary's tears as
      they have a nice feel. Since the lady was quite elderly, I used larger
      beads and seeds and made the links firmer and larger so that even with
      diminished sense of touch she could tell which bead was which. in the
      third decade, however, was what I changed in order to make it a *definite*
      Wiccan rosary instead of a roman one. I interspersed Mary's tear with metal
      letter block beads (bringing that 'decade' to eleven instead of ten beads)
      thusly:
      -B o R o I o D o H o E --- to spell out the name BRIDHE (pronounced
      BREE-dh-eh, the 'dh' sounded like a medium hard th). I finished the center
      with a carved ivory owl (also kicking around my bead bag!) for a lovely and
      one-of-a-kind rosary. The extra bead in the central decade is for balance
      and to remind the user of the extra blessings we get from the Divine.

      I also crafted a prayer for her to use. Each letter of the name stands for
      a virtue.
      Beauty. My Lady, may my soul reflect Your be3auty this day.
      Resilience. My Lady, may my heart be resilient in my faith, to all shocks
      of life.
      Intelligence. My Lady, may I use Thy blessings with thought and care.
      Deliberation. Teach my soul, My lady, to slow down and appreciate Your love.
      Honesty. Give me, my Lady, the will to be truthful in all my dealings.
      Ecstasy. My Lady, my soul turns in rapt wonder at Thy creation!

      This will make the rosary like no other on earth! :) I once made a promise
      that I'd never make *any* two rosaries alike! So far, I've succeeded!

      Sylvia S.