Nostradamus and rose beads

  • ardatli
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2003
      Hi! [waves] Checking in from the frozen north...

      About a year and some ago, there was a discussion on the list about
      period recipes for rose-petal beads for rosaries and paternosters, and
      Nostradamus was quoted as a source:

      > The Elixirs of Nostradamus Edited by Knut Boeser
      > Moyer
      > Bell Wakefield, Rhode Island and London 1996
      > The two books by Nostradamus that make up this
      > edition were originally published in French in 1552,
      and subsequently appeared in Augsburg in 1572, in a
      > translation by Dr Hieremias Martius. Only a very few
      > copies are still in existence. The original is in
      > the Austrian National Library in Vienna.
      > Page 30
      > How to make an aromatic long-lasting paste, which is
      > easy and suitable for forming musk beads and
      > paternoster beads. to all aromatic mixtures are
      > added roses which are the best things for imparting
      > scent.[Recipe follows in the book].

      I've been fussing with this recipe, among a few others, and
      unfortunately it definitely does *not* make a paste that can be used
      to form beads of any kind. What I have managed to create is a bottle
      of a very concentrated, strongly scented rose *oil*, which is then
      referenced as a scent carrier in his next recipe for a pomander.

      This doesn't prove or disprove anything, of course, since the very
      fact that Nostradamus references "musk beads" and "paternoster beads"
      in the preamble is a start. I've yet to find another in-period recipe
      for beads or pomanders, however, that involves more of a rose than
      just the scented oil.

      I'm giving the 1680s one a whirl now - I'll let you know how it turns
      out! :)

      Joane, playing with flowers.