Some Roasy History

  • faena0216
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2003
      I have recieved a couple questions, and because the answers may be of
      interest to the entire group, I will share the quote in this forum:

      "Thomas of Comtimpre, c. 1250 AD first called the prayers to Mary
      a 'rosarium' i.e. a rose garden. White roses of joy, red roses of
      sorrow, and yellow roses of glory reflected the mysteries. Henry
      Egher of Kolkar (1408) is the first to design a rosary with fifteen
      decades. Each decade had an Our Father and ten Hail Marys. By the end
      of the 15th century the rosary as we know it was completed. In some
      earlier apparitions of our Lady, the rosary is neither seen nor
      mentioned, e.g. at Guadalupe (1531). From Lourdes onward most Marian
      apparitions include the rosary....

      ... Used wisely and with faith, the rosary brings us to a deepened
      understanding of Jesus...

      ... Besides the Dominican rosary of 15 decades there are other forms
      of the rosary. The Rosary of the Seven Sorrows was developed in the
      17th century to honor the sorrows of Mary. The Rosary of the seven
      Journeys of our Lady reflect on Mary's journeys. ... The Briggitine
      Rosary has sex decades plus one Our Father and three Hail Marys. The
      7 Our Fathers honor Mary's seven joys and sorrows. The 63 Hail mary's
      refelct the 63 years of Mary's life according to the revelations of
      St. Bridget. ...

      Franciscan Crown Rosary:
      In the 1400's a young man with an enthusiastic devotion to Mary
      joined the [Franciscan] Friars. One day, while praying, our Lady
      spoke to him. She invited him to reflect on her joys while reciting
      the Our Fathers and Hail Marys. He shared the vision and Mary's words
      with the other friars. It was the beginning of the Franciscan Crown
      Rosary. The year was around 1422."

      From Catch Me a Rainbow Too, by Lester Bach OFM (c) 1999 ISBN 0-
      944996-22-1 p.248-249, 253