Habit Rosary Clip

  • cocobna
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2003
      I have searched in vain, to find a clip, commonly used to attach a
      full rosary or paternoster to a belt or cinchure. I've checked
      several rosary supply places in the web, and can't seem to find these
      anywhere. Anyone have any ideas?
      Thanks for your help...

      -Kathryne
    • Donna Mitchell
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2003
        Ebay sometimes has them. Usually they come with a nun's rosary. I've seen them there, but as they are usually antiques, they aren't cheap.-Donna

        I have searched in vain, to find a clip, commonly used to attach a
        full rosary or paternoster to a belt or cinchure. I've checked
        several rosary supply places in the web, and can't seem to find these
        anywhere. Anyone have any ideas?
        Thanks for your help...

        -Kathryne

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        O-oooooooooo-O-oooooooooo-O-oooooooooo-O-oooooooooo-O-oooooooooo-O

        O-oooooooooo-O-oooooooooo-O-oooooooooo-O-oooooooooo-O-oooooooooo-O

      • James Aldrich
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2003
          Try eBay. I saw one there some time ago; looked like what the nuns used in
          my childhood. Which leads to another idea-- kmow of any retired nuns'
          homes?

          Or if you have a depiction of some kind, a metal worker/blacksmith could
          help.

          JSA

          > I have searched in vain, to find a clip, commonly used to attach a
          > full rosary or paternoster to a belt or cinchure. I've checked
          > several rosary supply places in the web, and can't seem to find these
          > anywhere. Anyone have any ideas?
          > Thanks for your help...
          >
          > -Kathryne
          >

          > O-oooooooooo-O-oooooooooo-O-oooooooooo-O-oooooooooo-O-oooooooooo-O

          > To change your e-mail address or preferences:
          >
          > O-oooooooooo-O-oooooooooo-O-oooooooooo-O-oooooooooo-O-oooooooooo-O

        • Lishka Cheglokova
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 3, 2003
            What do they look like???? Does anyone have a picture they could post??? The
            pictures I have seen show the beads tucked over the belt or more often in
            the hands of the perosn...

            Lishka

          • James Aldrich
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 3, 2003
              Those I have seen are in the general form of a an S-hook. One bend goes
              over the belt or cincture and the other holds the rosary. Sometimes one or
              both sides is in the form of an escutcheon or the like.

              JSA
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 3, 2003
                At 6:39 PM +0000 6/1/03, cocobna wrote:
                >I have searched in vain, to find a clip, commonly used to attach a
                >full rosary or paternoster to a belt or cinchure. I've checked
                >several rosary supply places in the web, and can't seem to find these
                >anywhere. Anyone have any ideas?

                Hmmm. I've also bent my own out of a piece of old coat hanger :)

                Generally for wearing a _historical_ rosary when I'm in medieval
                clothes, I either just put my belt through the loop of the rosary (if
                it has one) when I put the belt on, or else put a piece of ribbon
                through the rosary loop and tie the ribbon around my belt. The rosary
                just dangles -- it isn't draped like a modern habit rosary -- but
                then just dangling is the way they seem to show up in period
                engravings and on tomb brasses.

                Rosaries can also be pinned onto a gown or doublet, or wrapped
                several times around a wrist as a loose bracelet, or around the upper
                arm above the elbow (which I like because I often have needlework in
                my hands).

                Long ones can be worn bandeleir-style -- put your head through the
                loop, pin it on top of one shoulder, and let it hang down across your
                chest to tuck into the belt on your other side. (The one good
                engraving I've seen of this has it on the right shoulder -- and
                flying free as the owner rides a horse!) One of the web pages I'm
                working on is of "how to wear your medieval rosary" pictures.

                BTW, I'm curious. I've been wondering whether the assumption that
                _all_ monks, friars and nuns _always_ wear a rosary draped from their
                belts is a modern thing. Certainly those in traditional habits
                almost invariably do so now. But is that an ancient custom, or does
                it date from the upsurge in devotion to the Virgin Mary in the 19th
                and early 20th centuries? I know that the custom of naming all nuns
                "Sister Mary <Something>" dates from that era. (A lot of people seem
                to assume it's a lot older.)
                O Chris Laning
                | <claning@...>
                + Davis, California