Successful paternosters class

  • chris_laning
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 14, 2003
      Pardon me while I crow a bit! I wanted to report that the
      Paternosters class I taught last weekend in Southern California was a
      great success (this was at Collegium Caidis, an SCA event).

      I had _sixteen_ enthusiastic students -- as opposed to the four (two
      of them friends) that I had the only other time I've taught this
      class. I used up almost all the kits I brought with me, which I find
      just astounding (but nice)! It's so gratifying to have lots of
      interested people.

      If students are actually going to string beads (which we did), trying
      to teach this class in a classroom with those chairs-with-attached-
      armrests was really annoying. I did bring a bunch of thrift-store
      towels, which helped provide a surface that beads didn't immediately
      roll off. But I'd prefer to do this in a science classroom, or
      another room with actual big tables; it would be lots easier. But
      that's about the only complaint I'd have, and I got LOTS of positive
      feedback.

      Part of the success of the class I think is that my "show-off
      collection" is now up to about a dozen samples of various kinds of
      historical rosaries that I can pass around. People really like having
      something to handle. (There's nothing like teaching a class to
      motivate the teacher, too -- four of them were new ones I finally got
      assembled the week before the class!)

      It also seems that people find the prospect of making a loop
      paternoster of 50 beads more attractive than the kits I also have for
      a straight string of ten beads -- I still have some of those left,
      since only two people wanted to do one. Everyone else got a kit with
      a 16-inch strand of 8mm beads (either glass or bone), plus five
      marker beads, a cross or other pendant (I had some Celtic knots for
      people who don't want to carry a cross), silk cord, and a needle.
      This isn't an expensive kit, either -- about $4.50 maximum.

      I've invited the class members to join this list, so hopefully we'll
      be seeing some of them soon. I promise I'll have more of the
      collection up on the web soon -- that's now the big project.

      What's everyone else doing?
    • Ginevra149@AOL.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 14, 2003
        In a message dated 3/14/03 10:42:55 AM Pacific Standard Time, claning@...
        writes:

        <<
        I've invited the class members to join this list, so hopefully we'll
        be seeing some of them soon. I promise I'll have more of the
        collection up on the web soon -- that's now the big project.

        I loved your class, and joined your list. A friend mentioned a string of 10
        that the Irish carried so not to be persecuted for being catholic and having
        a rosary. What can you tell me about them? What time frame was that? Out
        of period?

        I am so sorry I didn't pick up a kit to make. I had not pre registered so I
        didn't feel like I should take one that was manybe meant for someone else. I
        was a drop-in, add-on, and I am so happy there was a seat left!!!
        YIS
        Ginevra
      • Lishka Cheglokova
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 14, 2003
          You have every right to crow!!!! The class was GGGGRRRREAT!!!!!

          And now you get all the questions....

          I was reading that in the 1400's the church was as usual "blasting" people
          for their vanity and was targeting the jewelry worn by the upper classes. It
          goes on to say that people (women) espeacially simply moved the wealth that
          had previously been worn about their necks to their waists in the form of
          prayer beads. This is a old history book (1920's I believe). I had always
          assumed that that ment that they were wearing the beads about their waists -
          the low slung narrow belts that one sees in illumination with the long
          "tail" hanging down the front??? Or is it that they were wearing them hung
          on their belts???

          Lady Lishka

          My apologies that I will mostly be contributing questions in the near
          future....

        • Stacie Tibbetts
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 17, 2003
            I must say I very much enjoyed the class as well and appreciate the
            invitation to join this list.

            Leonora

            --
            *********
            Stacie J. Tibbetts

          • Ann Bedwell (Vivianna le Pryce
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 17, 2003
              Greetings all!!

              I wanted to say how much I enjoyed taking this class!
              I have never been in one like it, and Lady Elpeth who
              I took the class with, like me thought of all the
              great things we could do. She teaches childrens
              activities, and I thought of presentation gifts. I am
              going this very weekend to look for beads.
              vivianna

              =====
              Lady Vivianna le Pryce
              Chatelaine
              Barony of Angels, CAID

              http://platinum.yahoo.com
            • Stacie Tibbetts
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 18, 2003
                I was the student in your class who had trouble in the end with my
                silk thread tangling. I wanted to let you know that your suggestion
                of waxing the silk worked wonderfully and I was able to finish my
                rosary.

                Thank you!

                Leonora