Re: Photos posted, March 8th class

  • Chris Laning
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2003
      At 10:23 PM +0000 1/31/03, James Aldrich <jaldrich1@...> wrote:
      >I have posted three photos of rosaries I made for use in re-
      >enactment and historical interpretation.

      Ooooo, very nice! They show the fact that they have really been used
      and worn, too, and not put in a glass case somewhere <g>. I'm afraid
      mine mostly have that glass-case look to them, though I _do_ wear
      them, just not very often. Maybe I should carry one of them around in
      a pocket every day....

      I should note here that I'm going to be teaching my "historical
      rosaries" class at an SCA event (Collegium Caidis) in Southern
      California on Saturday, March 8th. I just ordered all the kit
      materials online that I didn't already have -- students will have
      their choice of making a 10-bead or a 50- or 55-bead
      paternoster/rosary for a price under $10 (haven't calculated exact
      costs yet). I don't recall offhand if anyone on the list is in that
      area, but if so, I'd love to meet you!

      Needless to say, I'm working on getting some of my "I have all the
      stuff, but it's sitting in a plastic bag in my unfinished-projects
      box" rosaries done so I can show them off in class!
      O Chris Laning
      | <claning@...>
      + Davis, California
    • Ruth Singer
      Message 2 of 8 , May 25, 2003
        Just came across this bead shop which sells lots of
        nice things including (highly unethical) coral beads.

        http://www.jewelweaver.com/

        Ruth

        It's Samaritans' Week. Help Samaritans help others.
        Call 08709 000032 to give or donate online now at http://www.samaritans.org/support/donations.shtm
      • Elizabeth Schechter
        Message 3 of 8 , May 27, 2003
          Curious. Why is coral highly unethical? Every bead shop and bead vendor
          I know sells coral.

          Ruth Singer wrote:

          > Just came across this bead shop which sells lots of
          > nice things including (highly unethical) coral beads.
          >

          > http://www.jewelweaver.com/
          >
          > Ruth

          > It's Samaritans' Week. Help Samaritans help others.
          > Call 08709 000032 to give or donate online now at
          > http://www.samaritans.org/support/donations.shtm
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          > O-oooooooooo-O-oooooooooo-O-oooooooooo-O-oooooooooo-O-oooooooooo-O
          >
          > To subscribe or unsubscribe:
          > To change your e-mail address or preferences:
          >
          > O-oooooooooo-O-oooooooooo-O-oooooooooo-O-oooooooooo-O-oooooooooo-O

          -------------------------
          Elizabeth Schechter
          SCA: Aurelia Aurifaber , Barony of Bright Hills
          "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vindendarum."
        • Chris Laning
          Message 4 of 8 , May 27, 2003
            At 11:18 AM -0400 5/27/03, Elizabeth Schechter wrote:
            >Curious. Why is coral highly unethical? Every bead shop and bead vendor
            >I know sells coral.

            The issue is probably that in general, corals worldwide are in pretty
            steep decline due to boat and diver damage, water pollution,
            over-harvesting, bad fishing practices et cetera. What's especially
            worrisome is that sometimes they are _also_ visibly declining in
            areas where none of the obvious things seem to be wrong, as well. So
            I have heard some comments from people who won't use anything made of
            any kind of coral. I don't know what the facts of the situation are,
            so I can't be any more specific about them.

            It is also true that the gem-quality black and red corals of the
            Mediterranean were already being badly over-harvested in the Italian
            Renaissance, and to the extent that they're still around, they
            probably still are. They have always been pretty expensive and hard
            to get -- I'm told that gifts of a single coral bead (rather than a
            whole string of them) are fairly commonly recorded in Renaissance
            documents, implying that's all the donor could afford.

            My impression is that much of the "red" coral being sold now is
            actually dyed, and its original color was anything from pale pink to
            yellowish white to brownish. This would explain why there has been so
            _much_ coral on the market at relatively reasonable prices in the
            last few years.

            I have mixed feelings. I'm ordinarily pretty sensitive about possibly
            endangered species, but I've bought real coral for a couple of
            projects where it was important to me to use as close as I could get
            to the original materials -- a small rosary (which was originally
            going to be a necklace) of dark pink coral, a reproduction of the
            Catherine of Cleves beads (still waiting on the metalwork), and my
            big German rosary.

            For the German one in particular, I felt it was important to use
            coral (or something like it) because the easiest substitute, glass,
            would have been far too heavy and would have "felt" wrong. It's
            sponge coral dyed red, and to the best of my knowledge, sponge coral
            is one of the commoner species and perhaps less in decline than
            others -- at any rate, it's lots cheaper. I paid about $135 (after
            discount -- list was $149) for 67 beads that are about 16mm in
            diameter. The price would have been five to ten times that for
            genuine red coral anywhere near that size.

            If you can find it, and if you're willing to use animal products but
            don't want to use coral, red dyed bone is probably the best
            substitute for both look and feel. I have seen very little of it on
            the market, though. I've seen a lot of red dyed marble beads,
            sometimes sold as "mountain coral", but to my mind the color usually
            looks pretty garish and it's heavier than bone. Coral-colored glass
            is lovely anywhere that weight isn't a factor. Glass is also stronger
            and much less easily scratched or damaged than bone or than real
            coral (which is relatively soft as "rocks" go).
            O Chris Laning
            | <claning@...>
            + Davis, California
          • Lishka Cheglokova
            Message 5 of 8 , May 29, 2003
              Hello...

              Another place to "find" very nice coral is thrift shops or second hand
              stores and estate sales... Coral was very popular at various times in recent
              US history and you can find lovely strings of coral beads for much less then
              they would sell the new beads alone. There are also lots of coral in some of
              the "retro" shops, but you'll pay more...

              Ever In Service
              Lishka

            • Ruth Singer
              Message 6 of 8 , May 29, 2003
                Maybe its a British thing as Coral is not sold over
                here as far as I am aware, and there are always
                warnings about not buying it on holiday in travel
                guides. I'm not sure if it is technically illegal to
                import it though. I would want to know a lot more
                aobut it before I bought any. It is such a shame as it
                was used so much for paternosters, and it would be
                lovely to be so accurate. However, I have bought some
                second hand ones which do turn up occaissionally.But
                they tend to be pink rather than red.

                Ruth

              • Meriel
                Message 7 of 8 , May 29, 2003
                  We have an SCA mongol persona in our area who has a TON of coral on her headdress.
                  Some of it is real (don't tell the border guards! :) ) but most of it she made
                  herself. Out of FIMO. So if you just want the look from 2cm away or farther, and
                  have issues with the ethics of coral, that might be one solution.

                  Kiara

                  http://calendar.yahoo.com