Re: Nuns purses and beads and things

  • Chris Laning
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 3, 2002
      At 1:31 PM +0000 11/24/02, Ruth Singer wrote:
      >Anyhow, another thing i spotted was a mention of ivory
      >beads. I've foind no reference or surviving example of
      >ivory beads used in the later middle ages in England /
      >Europe. Does anyone know better?

      Aha! I ran across one recently and had to re-think where I'd seen it.
      I don't know whether the 15th century is "late" by your definition,
      however.

      "...From his pilgrimage in 1418-19 the great Gascon lord Nompar II de
      Caumont (1391-1446) brought back in a coffer of cypress-wood a whole
      quantity of jewels bought in Jerusalem. There were **a set of
      paternoster beads of white ivory,** six other sets of 'black musk',
      and fifteen cords of paternoster beads of cypress wood and one of
      aloe-wood....."

      This is from p.78 of _Medieval European Jewellery_ by Ronald
      Lightbown (1992, Victoria & Albert Museum, ISBN 0-9481-0787-1). This
      book has an excellent chapter on Paternosters, with more information
      on the actual beads than any other source I've seen in English. This
      is a huge, lovely book that I wish I owned!
      O Chris Laning
      | <claning@...>
      + Davis, California
    • Ruth Singer
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 8, 2002
        Hi,

        Aha! I ran across one recently and had to re-think
        where I'd seen it. I don't know whether the 15th
        century is lateby your definition, however.

        certainly is. perfect for me.

        what a fantastic quote.
        ANy idea what black musk is? fascinating.

        is a huge, lovely book that I wish I owned!<BR>

        me too - and its out of print! very frustrating.

        Ruth

        http://uk.my.yahoo.com