Re: [Paternosters] Regarding the Shortening of Prayers

  • Chris Laning
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2007
      Emerson wrote:

      >I heard, I believe on EWTN, that at one time it was customary for
      >children to just say "Hail Mary," "Our Father," Glory Be," etc., and
      >just those words, NOT the whole prayer when reciting the Rosary.
      >
      >Is anyone else aware of this? If so, please give me some info about
      >why this was, and when it became a "sign of disrespect" to say the
      >shortened prayer.

      I'm not sure it was ever "customary," but IIRC the children who had visions of Mary at (I think it was) Fatima confessed that it was something they used to do, mostly out of laziness and a wish to get their "required" prayers over with faster. I don't think they, or anyone, thought that just saying "Our Father" or "Hail Mary" is the same as actusally praying the entire prayer. And their comment later was that the experience of seeing visions made them feel ashamed of themselves for taking that shortcut in the past.

      I wouldn't be at all surprised, though, to hear that other children might have thought up the same idea independently.

      0 Chris Laning
      | <claning@...>
      + Davis, California