Introduction

  • Chris Laning
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 4, 2002
      Hello, all!

      Since this is a new mailing list, I thought I'd start things off with
      an introduction.

      I'm Chris Laning, from Davis, California. My day job is editing,
      graphic design and publication -- I'm just beginning to learn how to
      do Web pages; mostly I do print media. My "second career" is European
      history before 1600 -- at this point it's far too consuming an
      interest to be called a "hobby."

      I'm active in the Society for Creative Anachronism (where I'm known
      as Lady Christian de Holacombe) and in the Guild of St. George, which
      presents the noble households of Elizabethan England (where I play
      Mistress Christian Ashley, gentlewoman to Dorothy, Lady Stafford).

      My interest in rosaries dates back to high school, when I first
      encountered Eithne Wilkins' book _The Rose-Garden Game_, which was
      for a long time the only popular book on the subject in English.
      However this didn't become a serious research project till a few
      years ago.

      It all got its start when someone in the Guild of St. George, who
      plays a historical character who is Catholic, asked me casually
      whether 16th-century rosaries looked like modern ones. I had no idea,
      so I started looking -- only to find that the answer was a definite
      "maybe!"

      The gold rosary carried to her execution by Mary, Queen of Scots
      looks a lot like a modern rosary, with five decades of "Ave" beads
      separated by larger "gauds" (Our Father beads). However at the
      joining of the loop, rather than the familiar metal piece and
      straight chain or "drop" (a gaud, three Aves, another gaud, and a
      crucifix), it simply has one gaud and an attached cross.

      I also found one picture of a 15th- or 16th-century rosary of bone
      from Germany, which follows the modern pattern, except that there's
      no metal piece at the joining, and the cross is a plain bone cross
      rather than a crucifix. I've since made a copy of that one.

      Further research turned up lots of interesting material, both before
      and after 1600, and I was hooked! <g>

      Since then I've been focusing on developing a collection of copies,
      as exact as I can make them, of the various types of rosary or
      paternoster available from the Middle Ages through about 1650, and
      it's been a lot of fun. I'm working on a web page, and I plan to post
      a number of my projects, with notes, in the Files and Photo sections
      of this group. Anyone can see these, by the way -- when I set up the
      list, I made the Files, Photos and message archives public, so no one
      has to be a member of this group to see them. I'll work on getting
      the first one or two of these up over the weekend, and I hope other
      people will post their projects too!

      I'd also like to see us share information about sources of materials.
      Some of the kinds of beads and metal parts I've been looking for are
      VERY hard to find. I've enjoyed the "hunt" for parts, but it can also
      be very frustrating.

      I look forward to seeing what everyone has to contribute!

      Pax et bonum,
      O Chris Laning
      | <claning@...>
      + Davis, California
    • Rose Amberwulf
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 4, 2002
        Greetings and well met, Lady Christian,

        I, Lady Roscelin de Limoges, am interested in anything I can find
        about rosaries during 14th century France. I've only started to look at
        info about rosaries/paternosters.
        I have made modern ones, but would like to make one for my SCA
        personna. Do you have any good suggested reading?

        Yours in Service,
        Lady Roscelin de Limoges, AoA
        MKA: Rose Amberwulf

      • FV/Rafaella
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 5, 2002
          Greetings all,

          I'm Senhora Rafaella d'Allemtejo of Dragon's Mist,
          AnTir. My persona is 13th c. Portugal and my current
          passions are enamelled glass, paternoster/rosaries,
          and early islamic pottery. I make and sell beads which
          are made out of lowfire earthenware but are
          "knockoffs" in design of period glass beads. I use
          those in my paternosters in addition to commercial
          beads.

          Modernly my name is Friday Valentine and I'm the
          Digital Resources Librarian at Oregon Health & Science
          University. I'm originally a cataloger, but I'm
          currently developing a database of multimedia digital
          objects for student, staff, and faculty use.

          My earliest fascination with the
          chaplet/paternoster/rosary stems from the first white
          and lime green plastic one I got at catechism as a
          kid. Although I am no longer a practicing Catholic, I
          find the prayer beads of all cultures intriguing.

          I did a suite of three paternosters/rosaries as one of
          my entries at AnTir's Kingdom A&S championship this
          year. My research got better points than my execution
          (ha!) due in part to Lady Christian's fabulous handout
          from her collegium class (yes, got a copy from a
          friend of a friend of a friend). Thank you for your
          great work (didn't we meet in passing at KWAS?)

          My documentation can be found at
          http://www.easystreet.com/~rafaella, tho I need to
          update it as I just recently got my hands on 500 Jahre
          Rosenkrantz and Rose-Garden Game and boy does that add
          to the research.

          I've also been doing a short "Make your own
          Paternoster/Rosary" class at events this summer, and
          did a short one-page culture/timeperiod synthesis for
          folks showing drawings of patterns they might could
          follow to make one persona-specific. Need to get that
          scanned in.

          Hey Rose, catch me at Acorn War if you and Armand will
          be there. I'll have the threads and beadbox with me as
          well as handouts. See my dox above for a bibliography
          in addition to the two books mentioned above. I can
          point you to what's available around town in the
          libraries.

          In Service,
          Senhora Rafaella d'Allemtejo, GdS, JdL
          Apprentice/Protege to Dame Zenobia Naphtali, OL, OP
          Sable Spider Webteam, Pursuivant Extraordinary, et al.

          http://sbc.yahoo.com
        • Chris Laning
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 5, 2002
            Just a reminder that, while a lot of people on this list belong to
            the Society for Creative Anachronism, not everyone does. Please
            remember watch out for SCA-specific terms and translate them if
            necessary. Also, this list is for *all* of history, not just European
            history before 1600, so please specify what you mean by "period." I
            would like everyone to feel equally welcome here!

            O Chris Laning
            | <claning@...>
            + Davis, California
          • Gladwen <Gladwen@aol.com>
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 15, 2002
              Hello,
              Imagine finding this group with a web search for "rosary". In the
              SCA, my name is Gladwen of Aylesford and my search was to find
              medieval examples of rosaries or paternosters in order to make one
              for a gift for a friend in the SCA. I found more information here in
              half an hour reading than in the last hour and a half on the web at
              various sites. I look forward to learning more and sharing with you.
              Happy Holiday to all!
              Audrey Theiler