2455Re: [Paternosters] Paternosters and Books

  • Melanie Peters-Turner
    Nov 1 3:48 PM
      On 1 Nov 2013 14:41, "Chris Laning" <claning@...> wrote:

      On Oct 31, 2013, at 8:17 AM, Melanie Peters-Turner wrote:

      > This aside turns up because I'm studying wills and the gifting in them. One of my questions asked is to do with literacy and whether Paternosters and books are given by the same persons (not sure yet, but suspicion is yes) - nicely messes with the assumptions on Beads = Illiteracy :)
      > I think this might prove to be a profitable tangent ;)

      If you ever run across a mention of something that could be a rosary manual in someone's will, I'd love to hear about it! ("Book of the rosary", "Book of Our Lady's Psalter" etc._

      O    Chris Laning <claning@...> - Davis, California
      +     http://paternoster-row.org - http://www.ravelry.com/stores/medievalknitting

      Definitely! I'm not expecting to find manuals, but it'd be really interesting if I did - the ones I'm working with so far are c1350-c1450, so possibly a bit early, but after this I'm hoping to expand it which gives plenty of opportunity for finding other nuggets to share! :D So far I've found a few books who seem to be identified by incipits (will need to hunt out which they are) and a couple of missals and graduals. No psalters either, which has surprised me, but might be hidden in the incipits... Will share interesting bits as I find them anyway. :)

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic