Re: [PasturedPigs] Hydraulic Hog Lift

  • Gunthorp Farms
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2003
      that is funny. I have pigs, chickens, and ducks (and a few squabs and
      rabbits) on the farm. The thing that is the easiest to catch because they
      are afraid of people is the Pekin ducks. They can't fly and they can be
      rounded up anywhere you want. Anyone that has raised pigs for any length of
      time knows that pigs are the most stubborn and hardest to move animal on the
      farm. A hydraulic trailer makes that chore much simpler. A "hydraulic
      lift" or hydraulic trailer is a livestock trailer normally about 6-8' wide
      by 15-20' long that hooks onto a tractor and has two hydraulic cylinders on
      it that move the trailer from the ground to as high as a semi. When I still
      sold commodity pigs I used mine to load pigs in the field and put them on a
      semi. I use mine to move pigs just about everywhere. Its so much easier to
      get a pig to go on a trailer that they don't have to step up on. I also use
      mine to move my pig portahuts and steel quonsets. I also use it to haul
      crates full of chickens and ducks from the field for loading on the truck.
      I really couldn't imagine living without them. In my honest opinion,
      hydraulic trailers are one of those appropriate technologies that make
      pasture production of pigs competitive.

      Anyone have non-chemical suggestions for mange control?
      Best wishes,
      Greg