Daily Meditation~~~~~~~>

    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 5, 2002
      THINK ON THESE THINGS
      by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      Our mother used to take all the neighborhood young people on a
      moonlight
      hike across the prairies. We always found a haystack that gave reason
      shove and push and throw hay at each other. Then we would stretch out
      and our mother would tell us about the stars, pointing out different
      ones -- and the moon.
      We were all quiet, listening to her words until she told us about the
      different phases of the moon. Some asked when the moon would be full
      and
      she said, "The moon is always full." We all contradicted her but she
      said, "We see the moon in all its phases but it is always the same."
      She
      told us there is a lunar moon and a solar moon according to time, and
      that the moon is the only satellite that orbits our world.
      The ultimate lesson was things are happening even if we cannot see it.
      She said that we were disbelieving because wanted to see and touch
      everything -- but it takes faith to know what is going on whether we
      can
      see it or not.
      January 4 - Daily Feast, Volume II
      Tough-spirited, sensitive, poetic, Geronimo. Thousands could not
      subdue
      him, his freedom was too important and his life too entwined in the
      refuge of nature. But a time came when he wanted to surrender and live
      peaceably. He simply commented:
      "I have to die sometime, but even if the heavens were to fall on me
      I want to do what is right. There is one God looking down on us all.
      We
      are all children of God. God is listening to me. The sun, darkness,
      the
      winds are all listening to what we say."
      It is in our power to day, "I hear You, and I surrender."
      ~ I am going to try to live well and peaceably. ~
      GERONIMO - APACHE
      "A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      Elder's Meditation of the Day - January 4
      "Our circle is timeless, flowing, it is a new life emerging from
      death-life winning out over death."
      --Lame Deer, LAKOTA
      When we look at the world in the manner which the Great Spirit
      designed
      it, we can see why it makes sense to live in harmony with it: the
      trees
      grow and bear fruit, the fruit has seeds, the seeds fall to the
      ground,
      the ground grows new trees, old trees die to make way for the young.
      Any
      time we think we can interrupt this cycle or change it we will
      experience turmoil and confusion. The Human Cycle exists as the baby
      becomes the youth, the youth becomes the adult, the adult has
      children,
      the adult becomes the Elder, and the Elder teaches the youth. Elders
      go
      on to the Spirit World. Spirit comes into babies to produce new life.
      Flow into the flow. Be the path of least resistance.
      My Creator
      and my
      Make, today,
      teach me to
      just flow with
      the river of life.
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 9, 2002
        THINK ON THESE THINGS
        by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
        So many mysteries, so much in question, so much to hold us in
        uncertainty.
        Maybe we have settled our minds too much on what we have learned and
        what is obvious without considering what truth really is. Truth is real.
        The rule of thumb that keeps us on the right road. But what is truth?
        Truth is the unchangeable, the perfect that cannot be detracted from --
        nor added to. It is the same from any angle and anyone who believes he
        can twist it just a little will not be surprised that he has only
        twisted his own view.
        We cannot make something wrong into something right by saying it must be
        the way we see it. The heart and spirit know the difference and we must
        take heed of the age-old wisdom that comes forth when we ask it to come.
        January 9 - Daily Feast, Volume II
        When someone slings a dart, a comment that hurts, we want to hit back.
        The indignity of an attack for no reason is beyond our understanding.
        Persons with no conscience sling arrows without thought of where they
        hit. Their desire is to hit something. What we have not known is that we
        can turn them back. We don't have to accept everything that is said. The
        quickest way to deflate the egotist is to see him as not important
        enough to take into account. His type of disease is contagious, and you
        should never expose yourself to such painful maladies.
        ~ You have compelled us to do that which makes us ashamed. ~
        CORNPLANT - SENECA CHIEF 1781
        "A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
        Elder's Meditation of the Day - January 9
        "So, with the Native way, it's not whether people find out about what
        you've done or not... that's not nearly as strong as having your source
        of morality within you, having your morality arise out of an inner
        perception of what is wrong, ridiculous, or shameful. You are your own
        judge."
        --Eunice Baumann-Nelson, Ph.D., PENOBSCOT
        Inside each of us is a voice. It is a quiet voice. It is a guiding
        voice. If we listen for it, it will guide us, and help us avoid
        disaster. It is especially active when we are afraid, when we are in
        doubt, when we are scared, when we need help, and when we get angry. If
        we are excited emotionally, it is hard to hear this voice. If we are
        angry, it's hard to hear this voice because it is usually quiet. The
        best thing we can do is to practice getting quiet. If we don't get
        quiet, there is another voice called the judge. It tells us to attack or
        say bad things to other people or to judge ourselves. This voice is loud
        and usually gets us into trouble.
        Creator, Great
        Mystery, help
        me listen for the
        quiet voice. Let
        me know this
        voice of Yours.
        Your ways are
        gentle. Guide
        me with this
        voice. Thank
        you.
        ------------------------
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 15, 2002
          THINK ON THESE THINGS
          by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
          Only a few months until the third volume of CHEROKEE FEAST OF DAYS will
          be published. A book is a new baby and treated with the same care --
          except for the diapers. This child is sub-titled Many Moons and meant to
          lift hearts and give someone a pleasant hour.
          Recent nights have had splendid moons -- so bright the whole land is
          visible. The deer stay to the shadows and even the owls seldom call when
          it is so light. Cherokee people use the moon to show how everything is
          in the round. The shape of our eyes are curved toward round, the world
          is round and so the moons and stars and many other things. But the best
          is the circle which is infinity -- life everlasting, no beginning and no
          end.
          January 15 - Daily Feast, Volume II
          The pond reflects a day of mist in gray tones. When the sky is blue, the
          pond is blue. Patterns like icewebs spread across the frozen surface in
          the middle of winter - so like we are when we take on the moods of
          others. Hills and lakes and fields are touched by the actions of the sky
          and wind. In the night season and all though the day changes take place.
          Sometimes the sky glitters with wings - sometimes it is softened by
          snowflakes. Man's soul has a light like that of a lantern that is
          untroubled in the turmoil of wind and storm. But we must know what we
          are reflecting.
          ~ My Grandchildren, be good. Try to make a mark for yourselves. Learn
          all you can. ~
          SITTING BULL - SIOUX MEDICINE MAN AND CHIEF
          "A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
          Elder's Meditation of the Day - January 15
          "It's all spirit and it's all connected."
          --Grandfather William Commanda, ALGONQUIN
          If everything is connected, we cannot disconnect. To disconnect is not a
          real choice. This is why we are always spiritual no matter what we do.
          Every alcoholic is spiritual. All our brothers and sisters are
          spiritual. We may not be behaving correctly, but nevertheless, we are
          spiritual. Our choice is to live out of harmony with spiritual ways or
          in harmony with spiritual ways. Everything is spiritual.
          Great Spirit,
          give me the
          knowledge to
          be in
          harmony
          with the
          spirit today.
          ------------------------
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 8, 2002
            THINK on THESE THINGS
            by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
            Good ideas are the flower of the mind, waiting to bloom for the benefit
            of the thinker.
            We are constantly in the process of manufacturing ideas. Every waking
            moment we are thinking continually, making mental images of that which
            we desire or need. Everything we see was first an idea in someone's
            mind.
            Ideas are fleeting messages that pass rapidly through the mind. Some of
            them are strong enough to impress the thinker. Many are not worth
            saving, but a few are very precious. They have to be sifter, sorted and
            analyzed for value. Then they must be acted on immediately, for they are
            very perishable. Once we lose an idea, it is seldom if ever recaptured.
            Everyone has access to a better and happier life through ideas, if we
            can trust the Lord to give us the will and courage to follow through on
            them.
            February 8 - Daily Feast
            Spirit has no high blood pressure. Spirit has no pressure of any kind.
            Look up at the leaves moving at the top of the tallest tree. No man has
            ever touched those leaves - but Spirit has. Look at the puffy clouds
            scudding across the sky - and catch the scent of evergreen - so many
            things set in motion by Spirit. Answers to questions may be out of reach
            - but not the Spirit. Send out your invisible praisers and singers to
            set the pace, to enlighten your spirit. When the blessing comes - ask.
            The Spirit knows.
            ~ I know how hard it is for youth to listen to the voice of age. ~
            WASHAKIE - SHOSHONE, 1870
            "A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
            Elder's Meditation of the Day - February 8
            "No individual or group can block another individual's path or change it
            against what fits his nature and his purpose. It might be done for a
            time, but in the end it won't work out."
            --Rolling Thunder, CHEROKEE
            Every person is born for a purpose. We may know our purpose very early
            in our lives, or it may take us some time. Very often we need to
            experience many things before our purpose is clear to us. Sometimes we
            pick our goals to please others. Sometimes others pick our goals to make
            themselves happy. Often this makes us unhappy. We need to pray to the
            Creator and ask Him what our purpose is. When we live outside our
            purpose, our path is full of obstacles. When we live inside our purpose,
            our path is smooth. When we are aligned to our purpose, we are happy and
            content.
            Great Spirit,
            whisper to me,
            in terms I can
            understand,
            what You
            would have
            me do and
            I will do it.
            ------------------------
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 12, 2002
              THINK on THESE THINGS
              by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
              This is a day that God has made, rejoice and be glad in it.
              What we do with each day is largely decided by the thought we give it in
              the beginning and how we start a new day plays an immense part in the
              success or failure of either carefully laid plans, or helter-skelter
              activity.
              We should open this day with as much reverence as if it were
              gift-wrapped and presented to us personally, which it is.
              What wonderful things can I do this day that no one else can do! Shall I
              spend these precious moments complaining? Shall I sit glum at my work to
              make others feel morbid? Should I continually acknowledge how little I
              have and how badly I feel?
              Or should I speak kindly, think kindly, feel kindly, and be so grateful
              that I have another opportunity today to do something for others that
              will bring them joy and lift their spirits?
              This day is in your hands. You will reap from it what you plant. If you
              would be loved, then be lovable; if you want peace, be peaceable; and if
              you would ask freedom, grant freedom. And learn to forgive without
              reservation.
              *<<<=-=>>>*<<<=-=>>>**<<<=-=>>>*<<<=-=>>>*
              February 12 - Daily Feast
              Beauty and ugliness are everywhere - even in some of the same things. To
              some a wide-open prairie is empty and colorless - but to others it is
              uncluttered simplicity - the way life itself ought to look. Physical
              appeal is high on some lists, but nu tso se dv na, which is Cherokee
              comfort, lasts longer. Whatever is in our hearts is in our sight. To
              love something or someone makes us see the beauty of it - not the wrong.
              It is to our advantage to be gentle in our observations - to see and
              cultivate the best in who we are and in those around us.
              ~ We love quiet; we suffer the mouse to play; when the woods are rustled
              by the wind, we fear not. ~
              INDIAN CHIEF,  1796
              "A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
              *<<<=-=>>>*<<<=-=>>>**<<<=-=>>>*<<<=-=>>>*
              Elder's Meditation of the Day - February 12
              "The spirit still has something for us to discover-an herb, a sprig, a
              flower-a very small  flower, maybe you can spend a long time in its
              contemplation, thinking about it."
              --Lame Deer, LAKOTA
                   The world today is about hurry up! get there faster!
              Work harder, produce more, hurry up, eat quickly, be on time, don't get
              stressed- headaches, conflict, drink to calm down, go to training on
              stress management, time management-STOP! STOP! STOP! STOP! STOP! STOP!
              STOP! Go spend 5 minutes with a flower or a plant. Look at it-think
              about it-look at its beauty, smell it, close your eyes and smell it
              again. Touch it; touch with your eyes closed. Listen to it;  listen to
              it with your eyed closed. Slow your mind down. Think about the little
              things. Now close your eyes and pray.

              Great Spirit,
              this feeling of
              calmness that
              I have, let me
              have it all day
              long.
              *<<<=-=>>>*<<<=-=>>>**<<<=-=>>>*<<<=-
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 25, 2002
                THINK on THESE THINGS
                by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
                Don't try to tell me what your enemy looks like. My enemy is lazy, a
                procrastinator that spends most of the time talking me out of success.
                My enemy says friends are fickle and true ones are most infrequent.
                Faith, I am told, is not enough to carry me over barriers. And I'm not
                loved so much as others, but that's all right because what good is love?
                The day is dreary, my enemy says, and the flowers at my feet will soon
                wilt. I shouldn't smile at anyone today because they won't smile back at
                me.
                This will be one of those days when everything goes wrong, my enemy
                tells me, and if I do anything right someone else will get the credit. I
                should watch the clock and realize how long the day is and how weary I
                am.
                Don't tell me about you enemy, I have one of my own. But the fact that I
                know my enemy makes all the difference. My enemy lies to me and wants to
                destroy me. So I'll refuse to give my enemy power this day by giving a
                special measure of love to my friends and knowing that everything is
                exactly opposite of what my enemy tells me.
                February 25 - Daily Feast
                Grandmother was the matriarch - a woman of few words and a lot of
                action. Children and adults knew she was the driving force. She did not
                beg for results, she expected them. The Cherokee family recognizes age,
                respects the authority of one who has lived many experiences and does
                not want to explain them. Her actions were not always appreciated, but
                there was order in the family and a learning that was to be our guide.
                When adults are not wise in their love and discipline, the child must
                use his own inner voice of authority to keep himself disciplined. No
                matter how many sources of discipline, the best comes from that inner
                source.
                ~ In my early days I was eager to learn and do things, and therefore I
                learned quickly. ~
                SITTING BULL - SIOUX, 1800's
                Elder's Meditation of the Day - February 25
                "The Creator was responsible for the existence of everything, a part of
                the Creator's spirit exists in everything and thus all things are
                connected."
                --Larry P. Aitken, CHIPPEWA
                The Creator designed nature, people, and all things as an interconnected
                system. Everything is connected to each other. This connection exists in
                the Unseen World. The same way our body parts are all part of the
                body-the parts are separate but also connected. If a part of our body is
                in pain, the rest of the body recognizes this pain as its own. In other
                words, the pain of one is the pain of all. This is also true of every
                interconnected system. Because we are connected, we should respect and
                take care of our Earth and each other.
                Great Spirit,
                let me treat
                everyone,
                today, as if
                they were You.
                ------------------------
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 26, 2002
                  THINK on THESE THINGS
                  by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
                  Life offers us a great deal of stormy weather. In the beginning we are
                  quite strong about it, taking things in stride and moving confidently
                  along. The things that test us seem to give us strength we didn't know
                  belonged to us. And quite suddenly there is an awareness that enough is
                  enough. But life doesn't know it, and the storm goes on and so do we.
                  Even though we are quite willing to give as long as we have to give,
                  there seems to be no more strength to the strength, either spiritually,
                  mentally or physically. We question how much longer, how many more times
                  we shall be able to reach into our bag of reserves to borrow another
                  ounce of strength.
                  Of course, the first thing we must do is take our minds off the thing as
                  we do not want it, and begin to think steadily about how we do want it.
                  It allows our creative minds to find the answers. It may mean we will
                  have to wait awhile in the dark, but when the light comes, it is
                  radiant.
                  There are many things that stay our feet along the way, but faith that
                  this too will pass can make that way serene.
                  February 26 - Daily Feast
                  It is frequently not the opportunity we need but the lesson we must
                  learn from having lost it. Our senses may be sharpened that timing is
                  very important and that we have to be ready when opportunity comes. But
                  opportunity is still not the whole thing. Making ourselves aware, being
                  sensitive when we brush against the chance to do something worthwhile.
                  If we are dull of spirit then nothing beckons to us, because it couldn't
                  get our attention if it did. Like attracts like. There must be something
                  in us that hears the music of the spheres when everyone else says it is
                  absolutely silent.
                  ~ Did you know that trees talk? Well they do. They talk to each ofher,
                  and they'll talk to you if you listen. ~
                  WALKING BUFFALO - STONEY, 1800's
                  "A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
                  Elder's Meditation of the Day - February 26
                  "The Great Spirit is the one that's looking after us."
                  --Jimmy Jackson, OJIBWAY
                  The only place our minds can find peace is when our focus is on the
                  Creator. Daily we need to ask the Creator to direct our thinking. When
                  we look at our brothers and sisters, we need to see the Creator in them.
                  When we look at the trees, plants and the animals, we need to realize
                  the Creator is within us. Our attention needs to be on the Creator. When
                  we work, we do it for the Creator. When we are troubled, we need to pray
                  to the Creator. When we are happy and joyful, we need to realize we are
                  feeling the presence of the Creator. Thinking God thoughts will produce
                  peace.
                  Oh Great
                  Mystery, let me
                  focus on You
                  today.
                  ------------------------
                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 6, 2002
                    THINK on THESE THINGS
                    by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
                    Frequently quoted American editor and author Christian Nestell Bovee
                    wrote that sensitiveness is closely allied to egotism - indeed excessive
                    sensitivity is only another name for morbid self-consciousness.
                    He wrote that the sure for it was to make more of our objectives and
                    less of ourselves. And it isn't easy to make less of ourselves.
                    Everyone at some time has felt extreme sensitivity toward people and
                    surroundings. It is a sensitiveness that does not always have a good
                    effect - seemingly for no reason at all we exercise no control over the
                    emotions. It can be frightening to realize that we are quite capable of
                    destroying as we are, at other times, of building.
                    It is written in the essays of Aristotle that there are right things to
                    say and a right way of saying them; and the same is true of listening.
                    So often we make a casual remark, not meant to be tactless, but somehow
                    it turns out that way. When there is a desire to appear witty, or
                    clever, at someone else's expense, there should be no pride in the
                    results.
                    And when we listen to someone's causal remark and take offense, we must
                    examine our own thoughts. If we allow our minds to run in channels of
                    vulgarity and mockery, then we can also expect to interpret others'
                    words to mean the same things.
                    We can so easily read the wrong things into others' conversations, and
                    in our own efforts to express ourselves say such foolish things that we
                    lose the priceless gifts if relaxation and fun of conversing with other
                    people. And for these reasons we must cultivate the art of speaking and
                    listening with the warmest heart - which harbors nothing that is not
                    right.
                    It is a good idea in the most sensitive times to recognize them for what
                    they are and to make a pact within one's self to bypass this time for
                    serious thought and decision making. This, above all, should be a time
                    for relaxing against the wind of over-sensitivity. To resist it only
                    strengthens it, and to look at it clearly and coolly will take away its
                    mystery and its heat.
                    It is well to remember that the too-sensitive person is not the true
                    self, but the one with the marvelous mental attitude most certainly is -
                    wait for that person!
                    March 6 - Daily Feast
                    To live by one's feelings is to wilt at the first sign of opposition.
                    Feelings are driven by the emotions and they keep us forever on unstable
                    ground. When we falter we are taken back immediately to a time when
                    things didn't work out. If what we consider a failure is still reminding
                    us years later, then it is a stumbling block that should be removed. Let
                    the weak say, "I am strong." And let that strength rise like the phoenix
                    out of the ashes to overcome every weak emotion.
                    ~ Although wrongs have been done me I live in hope. ~
                    BLACK KETTLE - CHEYENNE
                    "A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
                    Elder's Meditation of the Day - March 6
                    "And there are Four Corners of the Earth that we talk about, the Four
                    Colors of people, and the Four Winds. You see the winds - they are
                    spirits."
                    --Grandfather William Commanda, ALGONQUIN
                    The Elders teach us about the four directions. If we learn about
                    direction, we also learn about attention, about focus, and about power.
                    Each direction has spiritual power. In the morning, go outside, face the
                    east and get still; then, listen to your thoughts. After you have done
                    this for a while, turn and face the west. Get quiet once again and
                    listen to your thoughts. Did your thinking change when you changed
                    direction?
                    Great Spirit,
                    teach me the
                    power of
                    the four
                    directions.
                    ------------------------
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 8, 2002
                      THINK on THESE THINGS
                      by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
                      It doesn't seem that a simple thing like going fishing could have such
                      excellent results when the world suddenly seems too much. It is a very
                      difficult thing to worry when your mind is fixed intently on a little
                      red and white plastic float bobbing in the water.
                      Just taking one's mind off the general routine of living for even a
                      short time is like a much needed and appreciated vacation. We seldom
                      recognize the need for getting away from the monotony of following each
                      day with another day exactly like it. We lose the value of the hours and
                      minutes and lump them all together and plod along expecting miracles to
                      come some day and save us.
                      The effort we have to give is on releasing the problem and concentrating
                      on something beautifully simple and uncomplicated. Living doesn't seem
                      so ominous when we can go fishing for a little peace and quiet, and
                      sidetrack the things that weigh so heavily on our minds.
                      Good health is such a blessing. We don't all realize how much we aid or
                      harm our own health. In fact, we give much more thoughts to being
                      careful not to get wet than being careful not to get angry. And it is
                      said that anger can lower resistance to colds much quicker than getting
                      wet.
                      It is a proven fact that to feel love builds a resistance to illnesses
                      while resentment and hate can destroy both mind and body.
                      Longfellow once wrote that joy, temperance, and repose would slam the
                      door on the doctor's nose. There's no doubt but that most doctors' noses
                      are safe. But they, too, would be glad if more patients would exercise
                      their abilities to lift themselves out of much of their ill health by
                      knowing some measure of joy rather than self pity, some healthy thoughts
                      and less thoughts of self.
                      We lower our resistance to ill health in many ways, but none works
                      against us as surely as worry, anxiety, and care, plus our inability to
                      recognize the fact that we are our own greatest enemy.
                      March 8 - Daily Feast
                      It staggers the imagination to believe we can influence the direction of
                      our lives. But we do it day after day. Every word we speak, everything
                      we believe, builds out consciousness and makes us who we are. If we
                      never expect anything good, it will oblige us by going to someone who
                      does believe in it. What others are doing matters little when we begin
                      to see that we are as unlimited as we say we are. It is in our power to
                      make the difference.
                      ~ Each soul must meet the morning sun, the new sweet earth and the Great
                      Silence alone. ~
                      OHIYESA - SANTEE DAKOTA
                      "A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
                      Elder's Meditation of the Day - March 8
                      "Balance is implicit in the Red Road. When you're on the Red Road, you
                      are in the center. Yet, you do not go to either extreme, and you allow
                      both sides to exist. This is accomplished by continually postponing
                      surrendering to temptation, whatever it may be. It is saying `later´
                      instead of `no.´"
                      --Dr. A.C. Ross (Ehanamani), LAKOTA
                      The Sacred Path of life has a middle, a left side, and a right side. As
                      human beings, we are designed to walk this middle path as much as we
                      can. As we walk, we will stray to the left and to the right and come
                      back to the middle. Straying to the left or right side is as sacred as
                      being in the middle. Sometimes we call this straying our mistakes. We
                      are designed by the Creator to walk to Sacred Path of life, and realize
                      that our mistakes are the source of lessons. These lessons give us our
                      wisdom. It is not wrong that we are tempted. What matters is what we do
                      with the temptation.
                      Great Spirit,
                      today, let me
                      enjoy the
                      Sacred Path
                      of Life.
                      ------------------------
                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 12, 2002
                        THINK on THESE THINGS
                        by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
                        At times, Americans seem too easily taken, too docile to political
                        movements, and too indifferent to their own responsibilities as a free
                        people. How easy it is to turn our heads and tell ourselves that there
                        are intelligent people in high authority looking after our interests and
                        that they will never let our freedom be lost. This kind of thinking is a
                        fallacy. America still belongs to the people, and it is up to us to tell
                        our representatives in Washington that we want it kept that way.
                        We are too easily led to believe that we deserve a way of life that
                        appears free and easy. But seemingly free handouts will eventually take
                        away our freedom unless we decide to personally do something about it.
                        Americans are known for their ability to start with a little ingenuity
                        and a lot of faith to build powerful financial empires. But in great and
                        small there beats a heart of devotion to God and country. In battle, no
                        one could display more bravery, more determination, or more loyalty than
                        these defenders of America. In the face of seeming defeat, young
                        Americans have stood together and fought courageously.
                        Now, people of all ages must stand together. We must make our views
                        known to the government. We must continually develop within ourselves
                        moral, physical, and spiritual strength; and we must pray to God -
                        without that faith, all is lost.
                        March 12 - Daily Feast
                        Lichen and sedum are greening along the edge of the woods - a clear sign
                        of spring warming. Wild onions and purple violets edge the fallen logs
                        and moist undergrowth. Attitudes and health improve generously when
                        there is such newness. The grays have faded, the bluejay and cardianl
                        give us color in the evergreen. Birdsong fills all the space in the
                        woods and we know the Spirit is blessing us as well. It is spring whose
                        name is beauty.
                        ~ When I was ten years of age I looked at the land and the rivers, the
                        sky above, and the animals around me and could not fail to realize that
                        they were made by some great power. ~
                        TATANKA-OHITIKA - SIOUX, 1911
                        "A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
                        Elder's Meditation of the Day - March 12
                        "The old people say, `Learn from your mistakes´. So I try to accept
                        everything for what it is and to make the best of each situation one day
                        at a time."
                        --Dr. A.C. Ross (Ehanamani), LAKOTA
                        The Creator did not design us to beat ourselves up when we make
                        mistakes. Mistakes are our friends. It is from mistakes that we learn.
                        The more mistakes we learn from, the faster we gain wisdom. The faster
                        we gain wisdom, the more we love. The more we love, the fewer our
                        mistakes. Therefore, mistakes help us to learn love. God is love.
                        Mistakes are sacred and help us learn about God's will for ourselves.
                        Great Spirit,
                        help me,
                        today, to learn
                        from my
                        mistakes.
                        ------------------------
                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 13, 2002
                          THINK on THESE THINGS
                          by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
                          Have you ever stood on the sidelines and watched the drama of your own
                          difficulties being acted out in someone else's life? Does it provide a
                          feeling of gratitude that here I will witness something that will help
                          me solve my own problem? Or does it invite a feeling of smugness that
                          they were not so capable of hiding theirs as I have been of concealing
                          mine?
                          Hiding one's difficulties can be compared to concealing an elephant. The
                          only possible way to keep it a secret would be to keep it from those who
                          could care less in the first place. If they were face to face with your
                          elephant they would register little surprise and proceed immediately to
                          forget it.
                          If fact, there is considerable danger in loooking down on those who are
                          trying to get their lives on the right track. At least they have the
                          intestinal fortitude to try. And to pretend that one has nothing to
                          overcome is merely polishing the front glass while the back door falls
                          away.
                          Smugness or compassion? It was Cowper who reminded us, "Man may dismiss
                          compassion from his heart, but God never will."
                          March 13 - Daily Feast
                          We go to meet life with our measuring cups - so much for health, so much
                          for wealth, so much for contentment. But sometimes we do not realize we
                          have our hand over the opening and nothing can get in. The u wo yi is
                          the hand that is controlled by the mind - the mind that asks what we
                          deserve, and how much is possible. Hasn't this clan always been in need
                          and not well? How can we expect to be any different? Because we can
                          think and speak and pray. And best of all we can break the chains that
                          have held generations in poverty and poor health. It can be done, and it
                          should be done.
                          ~ Everything as it moves, now and then, here and there, makes stops. ~
                          DAKOTA WISEMAN,  1800s
                          "A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
                          Elder's Meditation of the Day - March 13
                          "I went to a holy man and asked him for help. He told me to get on the
                          Red Road. `Pray to Wakan-Tanka (Great Spirit) to help you walk the Red
                          Road."
                          --Dr. A.C. Ross (Ehanamani), LAKOTA
                          All Indian traditions, customs and ceremonies help us answer three
                          questions: who am I?, why am I?, and where am I going? Only on the Red
                          Road can we find the answer to these three questions. When we can answer
                          these three questions, we are on the Red Road. When we cannot, we have
                          gone astray. That is why the Holy Men tell us to pray to the Great
                          Spirit and to seek the Red Road. Why am I? My purpose is the serve
                          the  Great Spirit. Who am I? I am an Indian who walks the Red Road.
                          Where am I going? My vision is to serve my people.

                          Great Spirit,
                          when I know
                          You, only then
                          do I know me.
                          Help me today
                          to know You.
                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 18, 2002
                            THINK on THESE THINGS
                            by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
                            Every year at the time of festive paper, ribbons, and shimmering tinsel,
                            we hear at least once, "Christmas has become so commercialized."
                            Christmas is whatever we make it. If we contribute to the
                            commercializing of Christmas by choosing gifts begrudgingly, giving
                            thought only to the dollar spent but never to the spirit of giving, then
                            by our own minds we are losing sight of the most beautiful time.
                            In the face of those who miss the true meaning of Christmas are the
                            happy people whose lives are based on the gifts they share. There's a
                            simplicity in the shopping, but there is splendor and great joy in the
                            gifts of light they shed.
                            Their presence is a silent blessing, their words are cheerful, and they
                            smile with kindness. These truly beautiful gifts of sincerity give a
                            rise to the heart that cannot be matched. They are basically the one
                            gift that God gave us called Christ - the priceless gift of love.
                            If at Christmastime you receive one gift of love, you have received the
                            best gift of all. The genuine product is never packaged, never purchased
                            and impossible to commercialize. And the most delightful and
                            heartwarming time to receive it is right after having given it. It is
                            said that it is not the amount of food, but the cheerfulness of the
                            guests that make the feast. And when we consider that we are guests at
                            the table of life, we must also decide whether we are making it a feast
                            or a famine.
                            In fact, we are living evidence of whether our lives are feasts or
                            famine. Everything we feed ourselves, whether it is thought, word, deed,
                            or bread is written upon our physical and spiritual lives.
                            To think of feasting brings to mind a table laden with different and
                            delicious dishes. But, deep in our thoughts we know that without the
                            warmth and light of others, a feast is only a meal. The cheerfulness
                            would be replaced by a meager existence. There would be no laughing
                            faces, no sensing that all is well because love dwells at that table.
                            And so to share our lives in that manner is to make living a feast. But
                            to withhold our friendship, to know no close communion and happiness is
                            to feel the barrenness of famine.
                            March 18 - Daily Feast
                            Don't give up. We have been up against stone walls before and had no one
                            to tell us what to do. Stay away from self-condemnation. It is designed
                            to tear down our interest and vision. When a person loses interest, he
                            loses his ability to see solutions. Be quiet. Excess noise, too much
                            talk, and too little rest only adds to the confusion. Most likely
                            something will whisper to use reason - whose reason? The wrong reason
                            may be the cause of most of our trouble. And that wrong reason may have
                            come because we did not first ask Asga Ya Galun lati - the One who
                            knows.
                            ~ May the Lord bring you out of all your troubles. Trust your course
                            with Him. ~
                            JOHN ROSS - CHEROKEE CHIEF
                            "A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
                            Elder's Meditation of the Day - March 18
                            "The sacred fire used to heat the rocks represents the eternal fire that
                            burns at the center of the universe."
                            --Dr. A.C. Ross (Ehanamani), LAKOTA
                            Our Sweat Lodge represents the womb of Mother Earth. This is the place
                            of forgiveness. The altar is the place where the Grandfathers are
                            heated. The Sweat Lodge and the altar represent the whole story of the
                            universe. The Sweat Lodge and the ceremonies are sacred. The Great
                            Spirit gave these things to us to help us. He taught us to do the
                            ceremonies in harmony with Mother Earth. We need to know and understand
                            these things.

                            Great Spirit,
                            let me understand
                            harmony.
                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 19, 2002
                              THINK on THESE THINGS
                              by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
                              Cooperation is said to be the essence of success. Without it confusion
                              and chaos are the ruling factors and inharmony the main thought.
                              Cooperation is a result of excellent leadership, the ability to build a
                              team of loyal players who can follow instructions or think for
                              themselves, whichever is for the best of all concerned.
                              A team is a group with specific parts to play. In all wisdom they know a
                              little about every part, but they play their own positions with
                              precision and efficiency.
                              Every player cannot be captain, and every person cannot play
                              quarterback. The part may be small, but if it is played with fairness
                              and dignity and to the utmost of ability, then it will be as important
                              to the successful outcomes or results as the biggest job in the team.
                              The practical view of cooperation is vivid in John Dickinson's words,
                              "By uniting we stand; by dividing we fall." We are only as strong as the
                              weakest, only as cooperative as the spirit in which we work.
                              March 19 - Daily Feast
                              We need something to stoke out fire, to stir us into action. If we sit
                              all day and wonder why life is passing us by, it is probably because we
                              gave so little enthusiasm. Lack of enthusiasm can be the result of fear
                              - fear of disappointment, fear of what others will think or say. But on
                              the other hand, who cares what someone might say? That is their problem,
                              not ours. It may seem easier not to count on anything, but if we take
                              the time to study a situation to see what we can do, it could be worth a
                              few disappointments to just see our own grit and enthusiasm to tackle
                              it.
                              ~ We have borne everything patiently for this long time. ~
                              JOSEPH BRANT - MOHAWK
                              "A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
                              Elder's Meditation of the Day - March 19
                              "There's a deep wound in people-that they have been so cut off from the
                              source of their being, their mother, their Earth Mother."
                              --Francis Story Talbott II (Medicine Story), WAMPANOAG
                              When we are connected to the Earth Mother, or when we are clear on our
                              purpose, we will feel connected and safe. We will feel love. When we are
                              disconnected from the Earth Mother, or we don't know who we are or why
                              we are, we will feel pain. It will be similar to a little child who has
                              lost its Mother. We will hurt inside-we will be wounded within. If this
                              happens to the whole community, the people will be very sad and lost. It
                              will seem like there is death in the air. When this happens, it is time
                              for ceremony and reconnection to God and Mother Earth. This is the time
                              of prayer.
                              Great Mystery,
                              today, help me
                              to stay
                              connected to
                              the Earth and
                              to You, my
                              Creator.
                              ------------------------>
                              Message 14 of 22 , Mar 24, 2002
                                THINK on THESE THINGS
                                by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
                                If you've ever been alone in a strange place, you're bound to know how
                                wonderful it is to have someone make you feel welcome.
                                many people have the knack for being at home in whatever place they find
                                themselves. And in this gift they find no loneliness to tug at them, but
                                more often than not most of us feel like strangers. And in doing so we
                                set ourselves apart, or make it sometimes questionable as to the wisdom
                                of asking us into a friendly circle.
                                A friendly face and a friendly voice can make the most timid souls feel
                                welcome. It can make them feel at home. For in the midst of many there
                                is loneliness. Perhaps it is because our feigned look of
                                self-sufficiency made someone question our need for help.
                                Many a door has opened, and many a sound friendship won when someone
                                said, "We're glad to have you...." The very atmosphere can be charged
                                with concern when we see others who cannot find their way. The warmth of
                                divine love is for daily use in making someone feel welcome.
                                We should not forget nor fail to see the wisdom of Hebrews 13:2: "Be not
                                forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained
                                angels unaware."
                                There must be no stronger feeling in the heart of most people than the
                                desire to belong. To belong to something, to someone, and in a place
                                where the feeling is warm and friendly. The most blessed children in
                                town are the ones born and raised in the same neighborhood, who have the
                                tightly knit sense of belonging to everyone. Suddenly these children are
                                not just the children of their parents, but the children of everyone in
                                the church, in school, and anywhere where there is warmth and love and
                                peace.
                                War rages within so many, disallowing them any connection or any strand
                                of love that would tie them to anything that gives them a sense of
                                security. And when people become insecure they become demanding. And in
                                demanding they lose the most essential part - the ability to attract
                                love to themselves simply by loving first.
                                In the words of William Blake: "Love seeketh not itself to please....
                                Nor for itself hath any care.... But for another gives its ease.... And
                                builds a Heaven in Hell's despair."
                                Some of my most productive moments are not when I consider how evil the
                                world is, but how powerful is my God.
                                Some of the best times are not all when I'm enjoying life, but when
                                those I love are knowing happiness.
                                The highest peak of wealth comes when the joy within surpassees anything
                                I can create out here.
                                The bloom of good health is felt more richly when I let it flow through
                                me rather than dwelling on the possibility of sickness.
                                Friendships are strongest and most true when I don't worry about giving
                                more than I receive.
                                In order that others forgive me, I must also learn to forgive.
                                I must never forget that negative thoughts feed on fear and starve on
                                faith.
                                One of the greatest mistakes I can make is to believe myself to be
                                without friend or faith or opportunity.
                                These personal proverbs belong to all thinking persons who want their
                                lives to have more meaning, know more happiness and feel more richly the
                                love that is the medicine for the sickness of the world.
                                March 24 - Daily Feast
                                At the close of the day when owls call to each other in the woods, we
                                say, "There's Grandfather." Not grandfather owl but Grandfather
                                Sequichie. He could mimic an owl so well that another owl would answer.
                                As children fishing with him on the creek bank at night, we worried that
                                there might be an owl revolt when so many came close to our campfire and
                                called to this talented Indian. What would they do when they found out
                                they had been fooled? His attention was diverted to a fish on the line
                                and he forgot to keep calling and the owls at last drifted away. It was
                                comforting to feel the still warm dust on the road home and know we had
                                escaped another owl attack.
                                ~ I think to come and visit you tomorrow, and to talk over many things
                                that I have seen in my journey. ~
                                TEEDYUSCUNG - DELAWARE, 1758
                                "A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
                                Elder's Meditation of the Day - March 24
                                "Our religion is the traditions of our ancestors—the dreams of our old
                                men, given them in the solemn hours of night by the Great Spirit; and
                                the visions of our sachems, and is written in the hearts of our people."
                                --Chief Seattle, DWAMISH
                                Our Spiritual ways have carefully been given to chosen people. Slowly,
                                through our past generations, through past conflicts, our Elders prayed
                                for guidance, which the Creator provided. Then it was passed down to the
                                next generation through culture, ceremony and oral traditions. our
                                Indian religion has been tested and is about how we should behave and
                                treat other people, animals and the earth. This knowledge is written in
                                the heart of every person. We can find this knowledge by looking inside
                                ourselves.
                                My Creator,
                                today, when
                                conflict
                                occurs, I will
                                  look inside
                                myself for the
                                answers.
                                ------------------------>
                                Message 15 of 22 , Mar 25, 2002
                                  THINK on THESE THINGS
                                  by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
                                  To be in harmony with others, we must be in tune with ourselves. This is
                                  not always a state of mind easily come by, but necessary and possible to
                                  those who truly want to put their best foot forward.
                                  They must cultivate and recultivate the things that make peace within
                                  themselves. They must not only have faith, but they must depend upon it,
                                  drawing from it, energizing joy, love, and lightness of heart. They must
                                  know and understand the moods and manners of their co-workers and
                                  express to their colleagues their happiness and enthusiasm for the good
                                  things of life.
                                  At times everyone has fits of uncertainty concerning their way of life.
                                  And it is gratifying to have someone capable of lifting us out of the
                                  blues and scattering the doldrums. But the job is mainly ours. We have
                                  to cross examine ourselves again and again to be sure there's nothing
                                  that will not contribute to our best self, or draw less than the best
                                  from others.
                                  To be cooperative is not only beneficial to associations with others,
                                  but to our own health, peace, and happiness. Let there be peace and
                                  harmony and let it begin with me.
                                  March 25 - Daily Feast
                                  Know that reason gets away from people in the heat of the moment and
                                  they do things that are totally without reason. Just stop worrying about
                                  what other people will think and do what is necessary for protection. If
                                  you live in fear, pray for help - and then go meet it. Never wait for
                                  miracles - cause some. And it will amaze you how others understand and
                                  give you support. Life needs a mind-renewal, but sometimes we can't wait
                                  for that process. The time to move is when darkness hovers. This is the
                                  time to stop wavering. This is your hour, take it.
                                  ~ Hardly any two....agree on what should be done. ~
                                  SPOTTED TAIL - LAKOTA, CIRCA 1880
                                  Elder's Meditation of the Day - March 25
                                  "Come forward and join hands with us in this great work for the
                                  Creator."
                                  --Traditional Circle of Elders, NORTHERN CHEYENNE
                                  The Elders have spent years learning to pray and communicate with the
                                  Great Spirit. Their job is to pass this knowledge to the younger people.
                                  The Elders have told us we are now in a great time of Healing. The
                                  Creator is guiding the younger people to help them figure this out. We
                                  must get involved and participate. We should pray and see what it is the
                                  Great Spirit wants us to do. We need to sacrifice our time and do what
                                  is our mission –to help the people and be of maximum use to the
                                  Creator. Every person is needed to accomplish this great Healing.
                                  Creator,
                                  whisper what
                                  you want me
                                  to do.
                                  ------------------------>
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Apr 12, 2002
                                    THINK on THESE THINGS
                                    by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
                                    No hope? How foolish, for as long as there is a breath of life there is
                                    hope. How many people have sprung to their spiritual feet at the
                                    challenge of "no hope" and proved there is always hope? Perhaps there's
                                    nothing you can do for me, or I for you, but then again, perhaps there
                                    is.
                                    As long as I do not impose the thought of hopelessness on you, and you
                                    do not convince me that your strength is all I can depend upon, then
                                    there is hope.
                                    The things we sometimes call miracles are merely hopes activated by
                                    faith. And a wise teacher has said, "Give thanks for that which you need
                                    and soon you will have that for which you have given thanks."
                                    If hope seems to elude you, let us give thanks that it is ours again.
                                    Let us speak words that are positive and reassuring and throw ourselves
                                    unreservedly into faith and trust, disregarding every emotion that seeks
                                    to convince us otherwise.
                                    To lie down and be discouraged is our temptation, but to hope and have
                                    faith is our wisdom.
                                    April 12 - Daily Feast
                                    Time equalizes rivalry so that love and frienship finally have a chance
                                    to bloom. But the long wait is not necessary. It can happen as soon as
                                    one person is glad because another person is glad. Love is not dependent
                                    on deserving it. If that were so, none of us would be loved and most
                                    would be barbarians. Who we are is not what someone else made us to be -
                                    but what we thought and said we could be. Love is cultivated so that we
                                    can communicate it to each other.
                                    ~ Everyone makes his feast as he thinks best, to please the Great
                                    Spirit, who has the care of all created. ~
                                    BLACK HAWK - SAUK
                                    "A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
                                    Elder's Meditation of the Day - April 12
                                    "Dissimilar things were fitted together to make something beautiful and
                                    whole."
                                    --Nippawanock, ARAPAHOE
                                    Sometimes we look at something close up and it appears to be ugly; but
                                    then we drop back and look at it as a whole and it is beautiful. If we
                                    look at an insect close up, it may be ugly, but if we drop back and look
                                    at the whole insect it becomes beautiful. We can drop back even more and
                                    observe what its role and purpose is, and the insect becomes even more
                                    beautiful and whole. How are we looking at ourselves? Are we focused on
                                    something ugly about ourselves, or are we dropping back and looking at
                                    ourselves as a whole? We all have purpose, and we are all beautiful.
                                    Grandfather,
                                    today, let me
                                    see the beauty
                                    of the whole.
                                    ----------------------->
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jun 1, 2002
                                      THINK on THESE THINGS
                                      by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
                                      When winter presses a cold, gray hand against every living thing and
                                      temporarily puts to sleep all outward growth and activity of other
                                      seasons, there is within a quiet, invisible, but very active preparation
                                      for a lighter, warmer time.
                                      There are times when the winters of life press hard upon us, seeming to
                                      keep from us any hope for good. But as the coldest winter does not
                                      prevent a tulip from developing a blaze of color within the bulb, there
                                      is nothing to prevent our own inner growth.
                                      We quite naturally want the things that will make us happy and we want
                                      them now. But there is still a time of preparation, the developement of
                                      our abilities to recognize the good and the beautiful when we see it.
                                      Otherwise, we are apt to look past them, still searching.
                                      The tulip has a plan drawn by God's hand, and more beautiful than
                                      anything we can make. We have a way of moving from one time to another,
                                      waiting for life to come to us instead of having a plan. But during
                                      those waiting periods we need to make a little effort to determine the
                                      course and to be ready when the right time comes.
                                      SIX
                                      Su tali
                                      GREEN CORN MONTH
                                      Da tsa lu'nee
                                      I was born upon the prairie, where the wind blew free, and there wa
                                      nothing to break the light of the sun. I was born where everything drew
                                      a free breath. I want to die there, and not within walls.
                                      TEN BEARS - COMANCHE
                                      June 1 - Daily Feast
                                      Long ago in Hopi country a young Indian boy went away to school and
                                      learned easily the way of the white man. But all tribes have a way of
                                      wanting to go back to beginnings when they are mature. Such was the case
                                      with the Sun Chief and he related how his frame of mind shifted. "I had
                                      learned many English words and could recite part of the Ten
                                      Commandments. I knew how to sleep in a bed, pray to Jesus, comb my hair,
                                      eat with a knife and fork, and use a toilet....and I also learned that a
                                      white person thinks with his head instead of his heart."
                                      ~ He never claimed that the power of articulate speech was proof of
                                      superiority over the dumb creation. ~
                                      OHIYESA - DAKOTA
                                      "A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
                                      Elder's Meditation of the Day - June 1
                                      "You have to have a lot of patience to hear those old people talk,
                                      because when they talk, they talk about motivation, the feeling, the
                                      unsound that is around the universe. They explain everything to one
                                      understanding. They bring it all together, and when they finish, just
                                      one word comes out. Just one word. They might talk all day, and just one
                                      word comes out."
                                      --Wallace Black Elk, LAKOTA
                                      We need to be careful about judging the old ones when we talk. At first
                                      they may not make sense to us. Maybe we'll say they're old fashioned and
                                      don't understand. But the old ones do understand! When they speak,
                                      listen very carefully. Often it will take weeks or maybe even years
                                      before we understand what they are really saying. This is the way of
                                      Wisdom. We need to listen, listen, listen.

                                      Great Spirit,
                                      today, open
                                      my ears so I
                                      can hear the
                                      Elders.
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jun 23, 2002
                                        Permission graciously given by Joyce Sequichie Hifler. Visit her website
                                        to purchase the wonderful books by Joyce as gifts for yourself or for
                                        loved ones......and also for those who don't have access to the
                                        internet: http://www.hifler.com
                                        "THINK on THESE THINGS"
                                        by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
                                        Sensibility is said to be neither good nor evil in itself, but in its
                                        application. Sometimes we just "out-sensible" ourselves. In the course
                                        of years we come to see the pattern of the truly sensible. What have we
                                        at this moment that really means anything? Does it give us happiness?
                                        Did it once seem most impractical? Was it worth fighting for?
                                        The intellectual strives for knowledge and in his absorption leaves the
                                        world but hardly leaves a vacancy. The materialistic must have
                                        everything at the price of peace, and their possessions decay but never
                                        their chaotic souls. And the insecure forfeit the most minute comforts
                                        to save for that rainy day. Happiness would have been greater and far
                                        more lasting if the fund had been smaller and used as an opportunity
                                        fund.
                                        The fine line of sensibility can be most elusive, but it seems to be
                                        more clearly seen when we relax and quit shoving to get there. If the
                                        place we desire is meant for us, it will come when we learn the way
                                        isn't always sharp and direct and by demand.
                                        June 23 - Daily Feast
                                        Our vitality does not go first - our interest goes. Dreams, one by one,
                                        that we let skip through our fingers, cannot be sustained and they
                                        drift. When that happens, what else is there? Like rare pieces of old
                                        delicate lace, we fold away our dreams in tissue and forget them.
                                        Without realizing it, we have put away our vitality as well. Vitality -
                                        life, strength, creativity. Priceless interest must be restored if we
                                        are to be strong and healthy and able to contribute to our own benefit
                                        as well as others.
                                        ~ All living creatures and all plants are a benefit to something. ~
                                        OKUTE - TETON SIOUX, 1911
                                        "A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
                                        White Bison, Inc., an American Indian owned non-profit corporation,
                                        produces and distributes a variety of books including the "Elder's
                                        Meditations", video tapes, audio cassettes, t-shirts, mugs, kits, and
                                        posters. Order for yourself or a loved one here:
                                        http://www.whitebison.org
                                        Elder's Meditation of the Day - June 23
                                        "He [Wakan Tanka] walks with us along the pathways of Life, and He can
                                        do for us what we could never do on our own."
                                        --Fools Crow, LAKOTA
                                        With the Creator in our lives, we are everything. Without the Creator,
                                        we are nothing. When the Creator is in our life, suddenly the impossible
                                        becomes possible. The extraordinary becomes ordinary. Things we thought
                                        could never happen start to happen. Talents we never know we had, start
                                        to blossom. Resources appear. Help arrives to give us guidance and
                                        direction. We become happy. We have peace of mind and confidence.
                                        Oh Great
                                        Spirit, today I
                                        want You in
                                        my life. The
                                        days that I
                                        know You are
                                        with me are the
                                        days that are
                                        perfect. Let me
                                        be joyful today.
                                        ----------------------->
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jul 9, 2002
                                          "THINK on THESE THINGS"
                                          by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
                                          A new galaxy of shining promises made to oneself are resolutions made
                                          with the utmost faith that self is listening and will carry out the
                                          plans.
                                          But self is as unpredictable as a child playing in the street; it may
                                          dart in any direction, according to the mood and to whatever catches its
                                          attention. At the first sign of a challenge, self may race back and lean
                                          hard upon the old ways of doing things, no matter how wrong it may be.
                                          Resolutions do very little to change a way of living. They are easily
                                          made and easily forgotten. There may be a sincere desire to keep a
                                          resolution, but of self has not changed inwardly, little can depend on
                                          the outward change.
                                          It is said that we promise according to our hopes and perform according
                                          to our selfishness. Failure to keep our promises to others is a
                                          disappointment, but failure within oneself is disaster.
                                          A little performance is worth a host of promises on any day that starts
                                          a new year.
                                          Dream dreams and see visions. Not the black ones - but images of plenty,
                                          pictures of being totally well, fully secure. Dream that the horse
                                          chestnut tree is in full bloom, that the stone basin is overflowing with
                                          pure water, that the flood at its high point is carrying off the debris
                                          of life. If a dream is frightening and wrong, go over it bit by bit and
                                          change it. Get rid of the damaging catalysts and reach higher. Build
                                          good dreams. Lift out the cobwebs - don't smash them. Life is putty in
                                          your hand - shape it.
                                          ~ I am an Indian and looked upon by the whites as a foolish man - but it
                                          must be because I followed their advice. ~
                                          SHUNKA WITKO - SIOUX
                                          "A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
                                          Permisson to repost the daily messages granted by White Bison, Inc., an
                                          American Indian owned non-profit corporation that produces and
                                          distributes a variety of books including the "Elder's Meditations",
                                          video tapes, audio cassettes, t-shirts, mugs, kits, and posters. Order
                                          for yourself or a loved one here:
                                          http://www.whitebison.org
                                          Elder's Meditation of the Day - July 9
                                          "We have to educate ourselves to know who we are. That's what I mean
                                          when I say, 'Teach the children.'"
                                          --Eddie Benton-Banai, OJIBWAY
                                          It is only by knowing ourselves that we can get in touch with our power.
                                          It is said, "Tell me what you know about yourself and I'll tell you what
                                          you know about God. Tell me what you know about God and I'll tell you
                                          what you know about yourself." As we increase  knowledge of ourselves,
                                          as we choose to grow spiritually, as we clean up our act, then we can
                                          teach the children.

                                          My Creator,
                                          You have said
                                          "Know
                                          thyself." Today
                                          let me see the
                                          wisdom of this
                                          Truth. Give me
                                          Your insight of
                                          myself.
                                          I am always
                                          walking the
                                          talk and most
                                          people can see
                                          it. Today, help
                                          and guide me
                                          on the Red
                                          Road.
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jul 18, 2002
                                            Now available online! "Cherokee Feast of Days Volume III"
                                            "THINK on THESE THINGS"
                                            by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
                                            Have you ever stood on the sidelines and watched the drama of your own
                                            difficulties being acted out in someone else's life? Does it provoke a
                                            feeling of gratitude that here I will witness something that will help
                                            me solve my own problems? Or does it invite a feeling of smugness that
                                            they were not so capable of hiding theirs as I have been of concealing
                                            mine.
                                            Hiding one's difficulties can be compared to concealing an elephant. The
                                            only possible way to keep it a secret would be to keep it from those who
                                            could care less in the first place. If they were face to face with your
                                            elephant they would register little surprise and proceed immediately to
                                            forget it.
                                            In fact, there is considerable danger in looking down on those who are
                                            trying to get their lives on the right track. At least they have the
                                            intestinal fortitude to try. And to pretend that one has nothing to
                                            overcome is merely polishing the front glass while the back door falls
                                            away.
                                            Smugness or compassion? It was Cowper who reminded us, "Man may dismiss
                                            compassion from his heart, but God never will."
                                            A certain careful handling of business takes over when something makes
                                            us feel limited. Whether it is time or money or people, we know they
                                            must be utilized in the right spirit. As the Indian says, "Everything is
                                            in a circle." Whatever we set in motion comes back, and often shocks us
                                            by how quick and with what impact. Such things teach us to stop and
                                            think - to consider the use of a word or an act - and even a dollar.
                                            When we have material needs, a single dollar given where the need is
                                            great can multiply and come back to us a hundredfold. Even treating
                                            someone kindly is an investment, and though it may seem insignificant,
                                            when we are weary and sore, we learn how important it is.
                                            ~ You have noticed that everything an Indian does is in a circle. ~
                                            BLACK ELK - OGLALA SIOUX
                                            "A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
                                            Permisson to repost the daily messages granted by White Bison, Inc., an
                                            American Indian owned non-profit corporation that produces and
                                            distributes a variety of books including the "Elder's Meditations",
                                            video tapes, audio cassettes, t-shirts, mugs, kits, and posters. Order
                                            for yourself or a loved one here:
                                            http://www.whitebison.org
                                            Elder's Meditation of the Day - July 18
                                            "Our fathers gave us many laws which they had learned from their
                                            fathers. These laws were good."
                                            --Chief Joseph, NEZ PERCE
                                            The Creator gives us many laws to live by. These are different than the
                                            laws of man. The laws of the Creator are designed for us to live in
                                            harmony and balance with ourselves and each other. These laws are about
                                            having freedom and happiness. Our Elders teach us these laws. Laws about
                                            how to treat each other, laws about how to treat and respect our Mother
                                            Earth, laws about the environment.
                                            Oh Great
                                            Spirit, teach me
                                            the laws of the
                                            unseen world.
                                            Today I pray
                                            You open my
                                            eyes so I can
                                            better see the
                                            Red Road.
                                            ------------------------>
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Dec 19, 2002
                                              If we could but read it, all human beings carry the marks of their
                                              character in the lines of their faces. The very expressions are etched
                                              there by habitual thought. The most beautiful features my be blank by
                                              expression, lacking depth of thought or understanding, while the
                                              plainest face may be lighted with a radiance only sincerity and inner
                                              beauty can produce.
                                              Alexander Smith was a Scottish poet who wrote, ?On your features the
                                              fine chisels of thought and emotion are eternally at work.?
                                              No pretense can hide the thoughts and feelings. The narrowed eyes of
                                              suspicion and discontent tattle, while serenity and devotion to others
                                              can reveal such beauty of spirit that the shape of the face is
                                              forgotten.
                                              ?In thy face I see the map of honor, truth, and loyalty,? wrote
                                              Shakespeare, and it is safe to say that being able to see those things
                                              in another?s face is an assurance that he also had such a face. To see
                                              only avarice and selfishness in every expression turned to us is to know
                                              that our own expressions lack something to be desired.
                                              Life does not have to be full of ease to reflect beauty. Some of the
                                              most beautiful faces in history have not had eyes to see nor voices to
                                              move their lips, but have possessed peace and serenity that only faith
                                              could render.
                                              December 19 - Daily Feast
                                              The road winds along the edge of the woodland and down over a steep hill
                                              until it reaches a gradual decline to the riverbottom. The land is rich
                                              with wildlife ? turkeys, rockchucks, squirrels ? and in the nighttime
                                              this is a meeting place for singing coyotes. Herds of whitetail feed on
                                              rich bottom grass, and mountain lions stalk their prey. A little country
                                              school was once nestled in the glen and its storm cellar and spring
                                              still jut from the overgrown soil. Nearby a wagon road dug deep by many
                                              wheels goes on down to cross the river to join community with community.
                                              Who were these people, what were their dreams, and how did they overcome
                                              all the obstacles? They knew nothing of television or nuclear plants or
                                              miracle medicines. Some of them handled life with faith ? and so can we.
                                              ~ We thank thee that thy wisdom has always provided. ~
                                              SOSE-HA-WA  -  SENECA,  1851
                                              'A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II' by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
                                              Elder's Meditation of the Day - December 19
                                              "Flexible strength is better than inflexible. Let the storm flow over
                                              you, and then pop back up."
                                              --Michael Kabotie, HOPI
                                              Flexibility is taught by nature. You will see the trees bend in the
                                              wind. You will see that tree branches are flexible. To be rigid is to
                                              break. When we have life problems it is good for us to be flexible.
                                              Sometimes we need to flow with what is going on. If we resist, it
                                              becomes more painful. We need to be on the path of least resistance.
                                              Water flows down the mountain through the path of least resistance.
                                              Electricity flows through the path of least resistance. Power flows
                                              through the path of least resistance. As Indian people our strength has
                                              always been our flexibility.
                                              Creator, I will
                                              be flexible
                                              today because
                                              I know You
                                              are with me.
                                              Message 22 of 22 , May 11 11:45 AM
                                                From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Sun, May 11, 2003, 10:48am To:
                                                [openfires] May 11 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
                                                openfires@yahoogroups.com
                                                ¡Feliz Dia de las Madres!
                                                Happy Mother's Day!
                                                Most successful ventures have behind them some hardships. We as human
                                                beings, demand such experiences before we can truly appreciate the
                                                meaning of victory. No one promised that life would be son long gala
                                                event, but if we're made of durable stuff, we neither let it hinder us
                                                nor make us run roughshod to get ahead.
                                                We must always recognize past hardships for what they are. We cannot
                                                ignore them, fo they are a part of our makeup. But neither can we let
                                                them become crutches to lean upon when there's a need for an excuse.
                                                Bitterness over past experiences wastes valuable time. Perhaps it was
                                                those hardships that gave us the strength to rise above the mediocre
                                                things. However crude, ugly or unhappy, even when combined with all our
                                                other knowledge they form the perfect circle and play no more important
                                                part than all the rest.
                                                In the words of American poet John Neal, "No man ever worked his passage
                                                anywhere in a dead calm."
                                                May 11 - Daily Feast
                                                Honeybees that relied on early flowers in the garden can now feast all
                                                across the meadows. red clover, honey locust trees, and rose-colored
                                                Indian paintbrush abound in clusters to feed the bees and give peace to
                                                the eye. An evening chorus of field sparrows trills in the wheat field
                                                and a nesting killdeer demands privacy by doing her broken-wing act to
                                                sidetrack walkers. The whole meadow teems with activity until dusk - and
                                                then a silence pervades, only to be broken by the throaty voice of the
                                                tree toad. It is common knowledge among the Cherokee that every animal,
                                                except man, knows the main business of life is to enjoy it, and he, the
                                                Cherokee, sides with nature.
                                                ~ Seed time is here but your grounds have not been prepared for
                                                planting. Go back and plant the summer's crop. ~
                                                KEOKUK,  1832
                                                Elder's Meditation of the Day May 11
                                                "[The Old People] would gather words as they walked a sacred path across
                                                the Earth, leaving nothing behind but prayers and offerings."
                                                ---- Cleone Thunder, NORTHERN ARAPAHOE
                                                Whenever we walk on the Earth, we should pay attention to what is going
                                                on. Too often our minds are somewhere else, thinking about the past or
                                                thinking about the future. When we do this, we are missing important
                                                lessons. The Earth is a constant flow of lessons and learning,  which
                                                also include a constant flow of positive feelings. If we are aware as we
                                                walk, we will gather words for our lives, the lessons to help our
                                                children; we will gather feelings of interconnectedness and calmness.
                                                When we experience this, we should say or think thoughts of gratitude.
                                                When we do this, the next person to walk on the sacred path will benefit
                                                even more.
                                                My Creator,
                                                today,
                                                let me