Daily Meditations~~~~~~>

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2002
      THINK ON THESE THINGS
      by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      What would the old Indians thought about the time we are living in? Some
      would only grunt but their thoughts would have been profound. They had
      ways of "hearing through the bushes", meaning they could hear the signs
      of the times -- yes, they had ways we do not understand with all our
      electronic equipment.
      When we stopped believing in the supernatural we gave up our sensitive
      understanding, our ability to hear through the bushes. When we were very
      young we had no TV, no radio, no cell phones or taped music. Our
      perception was very sharp, and though our mother tried to put a lid on
      mine, I would say it all anyway.
      Children without cartoons are more "knowing" than those whose minds are
      being entertained but not particularly taught. Never feel bad because of
      what was not available. Be glad that you can think and be richly
      blessed, and don't be surprised when you can "hear through the bushes."
      January 2 - Daily Feast, Volume II
      Little quiet spells are as rare as jewels. Many can't stand even a
      little silence and try to fill it with empty chatter - or with words
      that should never have been spoken. It is a great art to be silent. The
      Cherokee calls it da lo ni ge s to di - e lu we i, which is golden
      silence. We paint with our words that which we want others to see, and
      we choose colors to communicate, to understand, to sense. The fewest
      words make silence speak most eloquently.
      ~ The fruits of silence are self-control, courage, endurance, patience
      and dignity. ~
      OHIYESA, DAKOTA
      "A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      Elder's Meditation of the Day - January 2
      "People have to be responsible for their thoughts, so they have to learn
      to control them. It may not be easy, but it can be done."
      --Rolling Thunder, CHEROKEE
      WE control our thoughts by controlling our self talk. At any moment we
      choose we can talk to ourselves differently. The fight comes with the
      emotions that are attached to our thoughts. If our emotion is high and
      seems to be out of control, we can say to ourselves  STOP IT!, take a
      few deep breaths, then ask the Creator for the right thought or the
      right decision or the right action. If we practice this for a while, our
      thought life will be different. It helps if in the morning we ask God to
      direct our thinking. God loves to help us.

      Great Spirit,
      today, direct
      my thinking so
      my choices are