Daily Meditation~~~~>

    Message 1 of 130 , Dec 31 7:59 AM
      December 31 - Daily Feast
      The woods have been a place of enchantment, a world of lacy patterns and
      mysterious stillness. The snow- and ice-covered limbs of huge oaks form
      intricate patterns against the sky, and ribboned lace, white on white,
      lies across the frozen pond like tiered ruffling. It is the only time of
      year when the white bark of the stark cottonwood blends with the
      landscape, and the bright red cardinal becomes a striking contrast.
      nature's patterns are etched in ice and in us. There are places within
      us that are as soft as silk, si li gi, and as polished as silver,
      adelv-negv. We have designs in our souls, caried in color, solitary,
      enlivened with warmth and love - and beauty we often view as
      illusionary. But sometimes it is the illusion that is most real.
      ~ You promised us that the weather would be clear and that your children
      should have so much silver that when they looked at each other they
      would look as bright as the rising sun. ~
      "A Cherokee Feast of Days" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      End of Volume #1
      Elder's Meditation of the Day - December 31
      "They must give themselves to Wakan' Tanka and live a spiritual life.
      They will have the peace that frees them from fear."
      --Frank Fools Crow, LAKOTA
      There are two wills available for us: self will and God's will. Our
      choice is: figure it out ourselves, or have the Creator involved in our
      lives. If we are honest with ourselves and look at past experiences,
      what are our lives like when we try to figure it out ourselves? Is there
      fear, confusion, frustration, anger, attacking others, conflict, fault
      finding, manipulation, teasing others, belittling others or devaluation?
      If these things are present, they indicate that we are choosing self
      will. What is it like if we turn our will over to the Creator? What are
      the results if we ask the Great Spirit to guide our life? Examples are:
      freedom, choices, consequences, love forgiveness, helping others,
      happiness, joy, solutions, and peace. Which will I choose today, self
      will or God's will?
      Creator, I know
      what my choice
      is. I want You
      to direct my life.
      I want You to
      direct my
      thinking. You
      are the
      You know
      what I need
      even before
      I do. Today I
      ask You to tell
      me what I can
      do for You
      today. Tell me
      in a way I can
      and I will be
      happy to do it.
      Message 130 of 130 , Jul 23, 2003
        From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Wed, Jul 23, 2003, 9:08am To:
        [Tradition_OF_The_Redroad] July 23 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
        How weak-willed we are at times when we've made a decision and know we
        must stand on it. It is so much easier to give in to the easy way of
        doing things.
        We are almost a "house divided against itself," and the strain of
        staying with a decision seems almost our enemy. But we never gain much
        stature by giving in to ourselves against our better judgement. And we
        never get anywhere by scattering our efforts.
        Making a decision is difficult enough without losing one's determination
        in following through. Laying down the responsibility is someone like
        warning children to behave themselves and then permitting them to
        continue to misbehave.
        How long has it been since you've proven to yourself that you mean
        business in carrying out a plan?
        A man of wisdom has written that we have firmness of character when we
        have the ability to say "no" to the wrong as well as to those things
        which are good but stand in the way of our progress.
        Always remember that to want something that is good and right is the
        blessing. God gave us that ability to desire or we would never have
        thought of using it. But God also gave us the ability to cry, to feel
        pain, and the freedom to choose whether we go on or quit.
        In our lives we face many decisions. Some are hard to make because we
        know we must turn our backs upon something that seems harmless at the
        moment simply because we know it would not be good in the long run.
        But there are also decisions that are more challenge than decision. They
        are the good things that are placed before us, and our will to follow
        through is tested. When defeat seems sure, then is the time to begin to
        fight. When others are quitting, then is the time to throw more strength
        into the battle. Anything worth having is worth working for, and is of
        lasting value.
        Very often these sieges must be made silently and without seeming
        effort. And yet we know we cannot get something for nothing. We have a
        service to perform. We can make it a drudge, or we can make it a
        delightful experience, according to our faith. Be persistent. Unless you
        do not particularly want your dreams to come true, you can't afford to
        know the meaning of apathy. You must continually be on the scene with
        the muscles of your mind toned.
        It isn't difficult to have a dream. But it often ceases at that point.
        The willingness to follow through, the determination to look
        impossibilities in the eye and trudge on must be practiced before that
        dream can amount to anything.
        All along life's road there are those who would discourage you, every
        often in ignorance, not realizing the effect of their words upon you. It
        is then that you must muster the strength to believe that theirs is only
        an opinion while your plans are based on the principle that all good
        things come to those who hustle while they wait.
        It is too bad that they cannot see your invisible companions,
        persistence, faith, and a worthwhile plan. Smile and walk on.
        There is a Divine Being with whom we can place all our obstacles, all
        our doubts and fears - and then our work begins. We give lovingly of
        friendship, of any kind of help that we are capable of giving, of
        positive words and thoughts and understanding.
        Give without thought of return. For while we are giving with loving
        selflessness, life shapes for us our heart's desire.
        July 23 - Daily Feast
        Much is lost through misunderstanding - and often because we want
        someone to know we are angry. We choose to think they intentionally
        displease us, though we know nothing of their circumstance of what their
        thoughts really were. It must be an ego-building thing to believe that
        someone is trying to offend us. Somehow it gives an importance where
        there had been none. We have the uncanny knack of building a sad story
        with such realism that it makes us think we are more important than we
        are. It is not enjoyable to be the kind of person who wants to
        misunderstand - not only other people, but also life itself. It is
        painful to be unhappy and disagreeable, but some cannot resist the
        ~ It has come to me through the bushes that you are not united
        (agreeable); come to me when you are united. ~
        BIG BEAR
        "...the greatest strength is in gentleness."
        --Leon Shenandoah, ONONDAGA
        Our Elders have taught us many lessons about becoming a Warrior and how
        to think and act like one. We have been told about the power of
        gentleness. We have been told about the power of the stillness. Physical
        power is about effort. Mental power is the opposite. It's about being
        effortless or less any effort. Gentleness is one of the greatest
        attributes of the Warrior and one of the greatest mental powers. It
        takes a lot of love to be gentle. Gentleness is not an ego word.
        Gentleness is the weapon of the Great Spirit.
        My Creator,
        today I will be gentle
        with myself
        and with others.