Daily Meditations~~~~~>

    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 6, 2001
      THINK ON THESE THINGS
      by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      We do not always see the way to help others who are so deadset against
      even the idea that someone could know what they need. All we can do is
      hold their hand until help comes -- help that they can accept.
      Our thought is so rigid and unforgiving. We try to make things a certain
      way and always that some other person must pay for our unhappiness. Life
      is simply not that way. We have to be the first to forgive, even though
      it may take a while to forget.
      Wisdom says not to believe every sound of Peace, Peace! But once in a
      great while there is a voice of peace. We would not want to be so
      cynical that we miss it. Listen for that voice. It is true. It truly
      wants to help and we should not foolishly ignore the best thing that
      could happen.
      December 6 - Daily Feast
      The instant something offends us, we are off the track. Resentment
      surges through us and nothing is going to please us. We learned how to
      walk and talk and rely on people - and to mistrust them as well. We have
      learned how to think, how to rate people and systems - and how to berate
      them. We form opinions, set up values, decide how far we will go and how
      little it takes to reach a goal. And somewhere along the way we find
      that others have done the same things, and will not respect our
      opinions. We are offended - e s ga-nu li s da ne lv gi. Taking offense
      creates a weak link. All our gifts, talents and skills must be united so
      that we are centered and poised in our own consciousness. When we take
      offense, we are not shut  away from living, but our mouths, our eyes,
      our thoughts are aware of the weak link.
      ~ It has come to me through the bushes that you are not yet all united;
      take time and become united.... ~
      BIG BEAR
      "A Cherokee Feast of Days" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      Elder's Meditation of the Day - December 6
      "And that, I guess, is what it all boils down to - do the right thing,
      everything goes fine; do the wrong thing, everything's a mess."
      --Robert Spott, YUROK
      The Elders say every person is born with free will and every person has
      a specific purpose to accomplish during their life time. When our life
      is relatively free from obstacles we are walking the path of God's will.
      If our life is full of obstacles, we are not doing the will of God.
      Often, the Great Spirit guides us through a system of coincidences. We
      need to pay attention to coincidences. If we are aware of these, we
      often can recognize the path which God is showing us. We need to pray
      and ask Him to show us the path in terms we can understand.

      Oh, Great
      Mystery, let me
      recognize the
      coincidences.
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 17, 2001
        December 17 - Daily Feast
        One of our basic needs is to be accepted. We fear rejection and somehow
        get the idea that we are worth only what someone else says we are worth.
        We can't allow their experiences to put limits on who we are. Looking
        for approval is a vicious circle. An outsider can be suspect - simply
        because he is an outsider. And every person has to realize that
        self-respect and self-acceptance precede what others may think.
        Confidence is knowing who we are, heart, mind, and spirit, and never
        allowing that confidence to cause us to put someone aside because he
        lacks standing. The Cherokee believes we should not a da de hu to di -
        insult the Great Spirit by criticizing one of His creation.
        ~ Many times  we have been laughed at for our native way of dressing,
        but could anything we ever wore compare to the utter foolishness of the
        steel-ribbed corset? ~
        STANDING BEAR
        "A Cherokee Feast of Days" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
        Elder's Meditation of the Day - December 17
        "Hear me! A single twig breaks, but the bundle of twigs is strong."
        --Tecumseh, SHAWNEE
        You can take one arrow and break it in half. But if you take 12 arrows
        in a bundle, it's  almost impossible to break any of them. There is
        strength in Unity. When we are  together we are very powerful. This is
        the way the ancestors told us we need to be.  Strong. We need to unite
        ourselves. This is why the Elders say, when we make decisions, we must
        first consider the good of the people. If every person in the
        community thinks this way, then we will always make strong decisions.

        Creator, let my
        decisions have
        the strength of
        the bundle.
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 18, 2001
          December 18 - Daily Feast
          Initiative is the will to win. It is the decision to begin right where
          we are, the self-starting push that gets us over the hump in the road.
          It is the smile and the quick step that gets us past what seems wrong.
          It is the ability to see a rainbow when others are crying over the rain.
          Initiative is a new surge of bravery and makes us stand up straight and
          use our heads and hearts and not fall into envy and fear. It is a new
          burst of strength that understands what it takes to get going. And the
          best part of self-motivation is to follow up the will with good work,
          with more faith and more courage - that this time, we are going to
          strike gold! This time is a new time, a new heart, a new person that
          will not wilt in the face of opposition.
          ~ The Great Spirit puts a shadow in your heart when you destroy.... ~
          JOE FRIDAY
          "A Cherokee Feast of Days" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
          Elder's Meditation of the Day - December 18
          "Parents have to demonstrate the value of trust, respect and honor."
          --Haida Gwaii, Traditional Circle of Elders
          Children learn more by watching than by listening. If we want our
          children to understand and value trust, they know it by watching how
          adults live their lives! If we want the children to be respectful, they
          will observe what the adults do and say to each other. We need to walk
          our talk. We need to remember the children are watching.
          Grandfather,
          help me learn
          these
          important
          values: Trust,
          Respect and
          Honor.
          Need new boots for winter? Looking for a perfect gift for your shoe
          loving friends? Zappos.com is the perfect fit for all your shoe needs!
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 21, 2001
            THINK ON THESE THINGS
            by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
            The usual thing at Christmas time was to take a pair of long cotton
            stockings to an old lady who lived alone in a little shack. A tiny shack
            with a dirt floor and only a path to walk from where she cooked to where
            she slept. Never a question about how she took a bath, how she carried
            her groceries or if she had clean linens. She was my friend and her
            sweet voice was always joyful when I presented her with the gift. She
            told me she had a quilt she wanted me to have, and the day they took her
            away for her funeral I saw the chest of her belongings moved out.
            The quilt was in her chest -- but it was all right with me because she
            would remain in my memory and remind me to be grateful, to be sweet even
            when there was really nothing to cause it. She was far from pretty, but
            she was beautiful in my eyes. And so are all of you who love and cherish
            and give of what you have.
            Those who seem to have it all have nothing -- unless they love.
            This is dedicated to Little Mother, as it is exactly what our phone
            conversation yesterday was about.
            --------------
            December 21 - Daily Feast
            The sense of touch is the most improperly used of all our senses. There
            is nothing more dear than the touch of someone we know we can rely on or
            with whom we feel secure. And there is nothing less appealing than the
            heavy hand that can't get near without pressing or insisting on contact.
            Many times, such persistence is insecurity and the need to be noticed -
            sometimes it is ignorant boldness. The less tender concern a person has
            in his nature, the more he requires of others. All of us need to be
            touched, to be treated with kindness - but everyone has not developed a
            caring touch. If it is not good, it is known instantly and alienates. If
            it is a thoughtful and warm touch of kinship, it is soothing, the way
            love touches.
            ~ The Great Spirit is looking at me and will hear me. ~
            CHIEF JOSEPH
            "A Cherokee Feast of Days" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
            Elder's Meditation of the Day - December 21
            "He [The Great Spirit] only sketches out the path of life roughly for
            all the creatures on earth, shows them where to go, where to arrive at,
            but leaves them to find their own way to get there. He wants them to act
            independently according to their nature, to the urges of each of them.
            --Lame Deer, LAKOTA
            Every person is created with purpose and with direction. This purpose
            and direction is written in our hearts when we are conceived. In
            addition, we are given access to a quiet guidance system which helps us
            find our purpose and our direction. We need to recognize this guidance
            system. It's called intuition, the quiet voice, urges, the knowing or
            the feeling. Once we locate our purpose and direction, we are given
            skills, talents and abilities that are unique to only ourselves. We must
            practice daily prayer and meditation with God to find this information.
            To be solid and confident in ourselves, we always need to be able to
            answer three questions: why am I?, who am I?, and where am I going? If I
            can answer these three questions, I always know I'm OK!
            Great Spirit,
            show me my
            path of life.
            ------------------------
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 27, 2001
              THINK ON THESE THINGS
              by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
              Only a few days left of the old year and then we move into a new set of
              circumstances, new ideas, we hope. There are new times coming but most
              are the same things replayed. We never dreamed when we watched a
              documentary on Russia fighting in the middle east that we would be there
              as well.
              Americans join together in times of stress and become stronger than
              ever. They honor the heroes and boo the enemy and out of it comes a
              stronger life for all of us. The one thing that changed all of us is the
              prayer. People are praying and reading the Word and giving thanks for
              good leadership, but the real victory is when each of us become better
              and help each other.
              Being good people seems like such a little thing, but in all truth, it
              is the biggest thing of all. If we want things to change, we must
              change. We cannot live on the fringe of other people's lives and we
              certainly do not want to follow examples without direction. This life
              belongs to us and what we do with it is our personal responsibility.
              December 27 - Daily Feast
              Who is to say what is holy? Thr Tsalagi (Cherokee), believes that
              whatever the Great Spirit made is holy. A mountain, a tree, the
              whispering stream is holy. So much has been lost in the translation that
              we are inclined to pick apart what another thinks is holy and good. Our
              limitless connection to all that is holy can give us a great
              comprehension of peace and health and all that is needed. If we follow
              the much-trodden path, believing that to be holy we must be
              poverty-striken, downcast, and victims of an angry God, we are fooled.
              The idea that we can earn our way overburdens us. When we put it all
              down and turn toward the light, sweet grace is poured upon us.
              ~ The Great Spirit bade him (Pontiac) to be seated: I am the Maker of
              heaven and earth, the trees, lakes, rivers, and all things else. I am
              the Maker of mankind; and because I love you, you must do my will. ~
              "A Cherokee Feast of Days" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
              Elder's Meditation of the Day - December 27
              "When temptation comes, I don't say, `Yes," and I don´t say, `No.´ I
              say, `Later,´ I just keep walking the Red Road-down the middle. When
              you´re in the middle, you don´t go to either extreme. You allow both
              sides to exist."
              --Dr. A. C. Ross (Ehanamani), LAKOTA
              We need to practice controlling our focus. Whatever we focus on we
              become. We also become whatever we practice. We need to focus on
              balance. Whenever something comes along to tilt us off balance, we need
              to be grateful, because it allows the opportunity to practice our focus.
              Sometimes this is called temptation. Temptation in itself is not bad.
              What really counts is what we do with it when it happens. We need to
              practice controlling our focus and keeping our thinking focused on the
              Red Road.

              Great Spirit,
              today, guide
              me through my
              temptations
              and allow me
              to focus on
              the Red Road.
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 7, 2002
                THINK ON THESE THINGS
                by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
                Following the wrong map will not get us where we want to be. Time and
                time again we have followed this map and though it seemed right we have
                always ended up in a sad place. Everyone has been on the wrong road at
                some time, but if they continue to insist their map is right -- then
                stress follows.
                How many times we have asked ourselves what we are doing wrong. Chances
                are we don't ask because we really want to know. Do we ask for new
                directions or because we may be able to blame someone else? We know who
                must change.
                Take the directions and flush them, they are bad news and even though it
                is not what we want to do, do we really want to find ourselves in
                another sad place?
                January 7 - Daily Feast
                To the Cherokee, the land is not dirt and stone and trees, it is a
                life-nourisher. The seed is more than a dormant embryo, it is life. The
                person is more than a human creature, he is spirit. It is never the
                worship of nature - but it is the love and adoration of that which set
                it all in motion, the Substance behind moisture, the sunlight, the rise
                and fall of the tides. Incredible things are happening right before our
                eyes, but most are looking for things to mourn and things to celebrate.
                Look behind the events. The rays of sun can damage - but the reason
                behind all these depths and heights heals and restores.
                ~ The sun is my fathe; the earth is my mother; on her bosom I will
                repose. ~
                TECUMSEH - SHAWNEE
                "A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
                Elder's Meditation of the Day - January 7
                "..when we become hollow bones there is no limit to what the Higher
                Powers can do in and through us in spiritual things."
                --Frank Fools Crow, LAKOTA
                If we want to be of maximum use to the Creator, we must ready ourselves
                to do so. if we are to become a channel for His purposes, we must
                prepare ourselves to do so. If we have resentment, fear, selfishness, or
                anger, we are not hollow bones. We must be rid of these things. We must
                change ourselves. We must ask for forgiveness for ourselves and forgive
                our brothers and sisters. We must keep our insides clean. We cannot use
                our power in a good way when we have blockages such as hate, judgement
                and envy. When we are free of these things the Higher Powers can use us
                beyond our wildest imagination. Then we can really help ourselves and
                help our people. Only when we are hollow bones can we have an effect on
                the world.
                Oh Great
                Spirit, remove
                from me the
                things that
                block my
                usefulness to
                You. Remove
                from my day
                all thinking
                that is out of
                harmony with
                Your ways.
                Grant me
                Your peace
                and allow me
                to function as
                a hollow bone.
                ------------------------
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 15, 2002
                  THINK on THESE THINGS"
                  by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
                  We have often heard it said that God never closes one door unless He
                  opens another. It is a great comfort to know we never really lose when
                  we believe, for any defeat can be turned to good if we will absorb the
                  lesson in it.
                  And yet, how often we refuse to go through that door that has been
                  opened for us. It is so much easier to stand back and wail about the
                  closed on. There seems to be a certain amount of glorification in
                  defeat. It is a subtle something that hides in us and keeps us from
                  doing well that which we know we are capable of doing. If we show
                  strength, we are afraid we will have to stand alone.
                  Sometimes a door will close for us because that particular one would hae
                  caused us more unhappiness, but it never closes for punishment. God is
                  love and love does not punish, nor does it have any power but to give
                  what is right and good for us. With this knowledge, we can by grace walk
                  through those doors that open to us and know it is right.
                  June 14 - Daily Feast
                  Like a pebble thrown into water, our thoughts ripple out, and when they
                  have reached the far shore they ripple back bringing a little of
                  whatever we sent out. Caution is needed in sending out messages. Right
                  what we think they are saying. Nothing to prove it - and nothing to calm
                  our fears. Never leave a void; never leave someone in the dark about how
                  you think. But do it gently - because what we send out ripples back to
                  us.
                  ~ Permit me to speak for a moment....weighing this question beside you.
                  ~
                  PUSHMATAHA - CHOCTAW
                  Tentative permission granted from the White Bison organization:
                  http://www.whitebison.org
                  Elder's Meditation of the Day - June 14
                  "The basis of knowledge is the fire, rock, water, and green. But when
                  that power was given to man, he used it to twist his own mind.
                  Tunkashila gave man just one drop of that wisdom."
                  --Wallace Black Elk, LAKOTA
                  All of Nature has the wisdom to follow the Natural Laws. All of Nature
                  knows how to live in harmony and use this wisdom in a good way, with
                  exception of the human being. Often we misuse this wisdom. Wisdom always
                  remains with those who use it in the proper way. Nature has used this
                  wisdom well, so now we need to go to Her so we humans can relearn and
                  change our lives. May we start doing this today, before it is too late.
                  Creator, let me
                  be open to the
                  lessons that
                  Nature can
                  teach me.
                  ----------------------->
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 17, 2002
                    Available online! "Cherokee Feast of Days Volume III"
                    "THINK on THESE THINGS"
                    by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
                    Irritation, they say, is something gentle folk should never know. Always
                    passive, they go along the way smiling, no matter what the cost to
                    feelings. But have you ever tried to smile when all the street lights
                    are red and someone honked loudly when you failed to move quickly
                    enough.
                    Have you heard a politician slur the name of your candidate....and had a
                    promise broken without so much as a faint explanation. Or perhaps the
                    long explanations on how to do something you've done for years....and
                    suddenly you want to make two lists of people you like and people you
                    don't like!
                    And maybe you've answered the telephone and heard them hang up simply
                    because your voice was not the right voice.....Or had them stand back
                    empty handed while you with your packages opened the door for them?
                    Well, it's no easy matter to be gentle folk and the mildest can get
                    angry all over again by just thinking of an injustice. Perhaps it is
                    trifling to let such little things irritate. But the best of us feel the
                    small things that we never quite get over. We forgive and forget except
                    to think about it occasionally, and then we must consider the words of
                    Seneca, "Anger, if not restrained, is frequently more hurtful to us than
                    the injury that provokes it."
                    We live in a continual round of adjustments. It is usually an admirable
                    thing to be able to make adjustments easily. Not many can. And, yet, it
                    makes us wonder at times if those who can so freely change and move
                    without emotions have ever felt very deeply.
                    We tend to cling to familiar things and familiar customs. There is such
                    great security in traveling a way we know by heart. The roughest road
                    can usually be traveled without incident when we know every turn and
                    bump.
                    It has been said by those who do scientific research that it takes at
                    least three weeks to adjust to changes. But three months would do it
                    more justice. And it must be done by abandonment, by setting aside for a
                    period of time all things like the old way. Many times it is done not
                    for ourselves alone, for it is foolish to believe a change involves only
                    ourselves.
                    In our very complex way of life there is no situation to affect only one
                    person. And often the most wonderful thing we can do for someone else is
                    to find our own balance by making adjustments quickly, even in the
                    middle of chaos.
                    September 16 - Daily Feast
                    Perception can be very wise but reading between the lines in other
                    people's lives is only guesswork. By rationalizing and putting two and
                    two together it can almost be assumed that something is a certain way,
                    right? Wrong. People identify with other people because of their
                    likenesses - but there is nothing new under the sun. Human nature is
                    human nature and will stay that way until we all stand close enough to
                    the divine. We are ever so much better served not to guess about other
                    people. And we are better people when we mind our own business.
                    ~ The Apache was unlike any other Indian Tribe the whites have ever
                    fought....He saw no reason for fighting unless there was something
                    tangible and immediate to be gained. ~
                    A FRONTIER CAMPAIGN OFFICER - CIRCA 1860
                    'A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II' by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
                    Elder's Meditation of the Day - September 16
                    "To me, the wisdom the Elders have to manifest is in teaching people how
                    to live in harmony and balance with each other and the Earth."
                    --Sun Bear, CHIPPEWA
                    You cannot give away what you don't have. You need to give away what you
                    have in order to keep it. Our Elders have lived their lives with a lot
                    of trial and error. They have experienced how to do things good and they
                    have experienced what didn't work for them as they grew old. They know
                    things about living that we don't know. So, through the years the Elders
                    have gained wisdom. They usually have a whole different point of view
                    because of all their experiences. There are two ways to learn. Someone
                    tells us what they did and we do the same thing or someone tells us what
                    they did and we choose not to do it. Both of these paths will help us to
                    live.
                    My Creator,
                    teach me about
                    choices and