Daily Meditations~~~~~~>

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 5, 2001
      THINK ON THESE THINGS
      by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      We are never going to meet everyone's expectations, it is not going to
      happen. Even if we did, it wouldn't last long because new expectations
      are there and they may not be our own.
      Compensating to make others happy lasts about as long as it does to
      think about it. Sometimes we are too convenient, too willing to yield.
      Then our minds and bodies begin to reflect the stress of meeting too
      many unwise demands.
      Wisdom knows how to say no  as well as yes. No one else is aware of
      our limitations -- not even ourselves at times. Limits should never be
      seen as hindering. They should be taken as a friendly sign when we are
      ridiculous about trying to meet everyone else's expectations but never
      our own. Only the Great Holy should have the right to expect us to be
      who we really are meant to be.
      December 5 - Daily Feast
      Our hands tell us who we are. They are believed to be perfect subjects
      of the mind. As physical labor shows in the callouses on our palms, so
      does gentleness or greediness or strength. Nothing else expresses human
      behavior in so many ways. With our hands, tsu no ye ni, we work, play,
      love, threaten, show joy or grief. Sensitive symbols of faith and
      friendship, our hands draw us to everything and everyone we love.
      Marvelously made and directed by the mind's eye, the mind's ear, and the
      heart's desire, our hands continually express our lives. An abusive hand
      is from and abusive mind. But the gentle touch does exist - even for
      those who have yet to experience it. What words cannot say, the hands
      can express with all tenderness and love.
      ~ Now we shake hands and make peace.... ~
      SPOTTED TAIL
      "A Cherokee Feast of Days" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      Elder's Meditation of the Day - December 5
      "I've had a long regard for generational things: pottery, cultural
      things, participation in dancing, extended family. Only in that way does
      culture survive; only in that way is culture active.
      --Tessie Naranjo, SANTA CLARA PUEBLO
      Culture teaches us how to live and it ensures that knowledge about life
      is handed down from generation to generation. Culture gives us the
      feeling of belonging. It helps us raise our family in a good way. It
      teaches us how to treat one another. Culture sets boundaries for
      societies. We need to develop our culture. If we have left our culture,
      then we need to come back to it. Culture leads us back to the Great
      Spirit. Sometimes in our lives, we leave what we know works and
      experiment with something else. Then we get into trouble. So we need to
      come back home. Indian people are lucky to have a culture to return to.

      Creator, thank
      you for the
      culture. Let
      me live it
      today.
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 9, 2001
        December 9 - Daily Feast
        Take away the plastic, the film, the artificial and give a small boy a
        stick to dig in the dirt, to whack the water at the pond's edge - and
        you have given him happiness. Show him deer tracks and the handprints of
        a raccoon, and you give him curiosity. Boost him up to the lowest limb
        of a tree and he can take the next one with vision. Show a small boy
        something other than cartoons, sing him songs that are not commercials,
        teach him gentleness with small animals and other children, and you have
        given him a life laced with love and kindness. The best part of sharing
        an hour with an exhuberant little boy is that he gives back so much,
        shining eyes, imagination, questions without end, and laughter at
        nothing and everything. It is an hour well spent and will be remembered.
        Hopefully, in later years, he will recall that it was spent with
        Grandma.
        ~ It does not require many words to speak the truth. ~
        CHIEF JOSEPH
        "A Cherokee Feast of Days" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
        Elder's Meditation of the Day - December 9
        "The Natural Law will prevail regardless of man-made laws, tribunals and
        governments."
        --Traditional Circle of Elders, NAVAJO-HOPI Joint Use Area
        The Great Spirit made Laws by which Man needs to live. These Laws are
        just and are about living in harmony. Man has passed many laws that say
        it is okay to do things. Many of these man-made laws are out of harmony
        with the Laws of the Great Spirit. These man-made laws will cause
        trouble for the human being if they are out of harmony with the Laws of
        the Creator.
        Great Spirit,
        teach me Your
        Laws.
        ------------------------
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 10, 2001
          THINK ON THESE THINGS
          by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
          How long can we hold onto a rope that has no knot in it to stay our
          hands? Apparently not very long. We have asked for certain conditions
          that have not come into being. So, does that mean our asking is in vain?
          No, but it does say we have not really investigated our source and we
          don't really know how to ask.
          We can ask a source that we have been involved in over the years and get
          no answer. There's more to a relationship than a casual acquaintance.
          How many honest down-to-earth conversations have we held with this
          source? If it has been a request in a crisis and we don't know this
          person very well, we are not apt to get help.
          To know ourselves is crucial, to know our source is equally necessary.
          Do you even have a relationship worthy of a crisis? Can we run to this
          person on a moment's notice and be received warmly? Not unless we have
          shared time and money and love on a regular basis. We can start out by
          being grateful and express our gratitude and our willingness to be made
          new and not renege on our word. If we do that, our source will never
          renege on his word.
          December 10 - Daily Feast
          While it pays to be cautious, very often our skepticism is surpassed
          only by our ignorance. When we can't believe in anything that doesn't
          figure in dollars and cents and other tangible benefits, then life is
          all on the surface. More of life is invisible than visible. We draw on
          the invisible the way we draw on a bank account, seeing nothing of the
          workings but getting results. We believe our money is in the bank, not
          expecting it to be where we can see it. When we need it, we call for it.
          The Cherokee believes the Great Spirit has a great many other things,
          health, peace and happiness to name a few, in the bank for us. It is our
          part to keep what we have balanced, to add to the strength of it with
          faith, and to be grateful for it. But until we call for it, using the
          right name, it remains where it is.
          ~ Indians.... know better how to live..... Nobody can be in good health
          if he does not have all the time fresh air, sunshine and good water. ~
          CHIEF FLYING HAWK
          "A Cherokee Feast of Days" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
          Elder's Meditation of the Day - December 10
          "Come forward and join hands with us in this great work for the
          Creator."
          --Traditional Circle of Elders, NORTHERN CHEYENNE
          The Elders have spent years learning to pray and communicate with the
          Great Spirit. Their job is to pass this knowledge onto the young people.
          The Elders have told us we are now in a great time of healing. The
          Creator is guiding them to help the young people figure this out. We
          must get involved and participate. We should pray and see what it is the
          Great Spirit wants us to do. We need to sacrifice our time to help the
          people and to be of maximum use to the Creator. Every person is needed
          to accomplish this great healing.
          Creator,
          whisper what
          You want me
          to do.
          ------------------------
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 16, 2001
            December 16 - Daily Feast
            Someone said humorously that there is one thing money cannot buy, and
            that is poverty. But it can. It doesn't take money to be the richest
            person in town. Anyone that has survived an ordeal, where to merely
            exist is important, knows what it is to be rich. It is life seen through
            the heart - and for them poverty doesn't exist. Prosperity includes many
            things. Simply being well in body, mind and spirit tops the list. But
            seeing the change of seasons, touching the faces of those we love,
            breathing fresh air, or breathing freely, is wealth unlimited. The
            Cherokee expression of wealth is nu we hna v i, it is the right to be
            free, the right to pray, the right to one's own decisions. And that
            should enrich us all.
            ~ In the last place.... we are bound.... to watch for each other's
            preservation. ~
            CANASSATEGO  1742
            "A Cherokee Feast of Days" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
            Elder's Meditation of the Day - December 16
            "If you have one hundred people who live together, and if each one cares
            for the rest, there is One Mind."
            --Shining Arrows, CROW
            One of the principles of Community is Unity. The alignment of thoughts
            in groups of  people will cause One Mind to form. One Mind is Unity.
            Each individual in the  community must align their thoughts with what
            other members are thinking. If all the  people think of helping one
            another, then the community will be service oriented and  powerful
            results will be enjoyed. Having our thoughts aligned within a group will
            cause  our children to experience a positive environment. When they
            have children, the  grandchildren will automatically experience these
            results also.

            My Creator,
            help me to
            contribute to
            positive group
            thought.
            Yahoo! Groups Sponso
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 2, 2002
              THINK ON THESE THINGS
              by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
              What would the old Indians thought about the time we are living in? Some
              would only grunt but their thoughts would have been profound. They had
              ways of "hearing through the bushes", meaning they could hear the signs
              of the times -- yes, they had ways we do not understand with all our
              electronic equipment.
              When we stopped believing in the supernatural we gave up our sensitive
              understanding, our ability to hear through the bushes. When we were very
              young we had no TV, no radio, no cell phones or taped music. Our
              perception was very sharp, and though our mother tried to put a lid on
              mine, I would say it all anyway.
              Children without cartoons are more "knowing" than those whose minds are
              being entertained but not particularly taught. Never feel bad because of
              what was not available. Be glad that you can think and be richly
              blessed, and don't be surprised when you can "hear through the bushes."
              January 2 - Daily Feast, Volume II
              Little quiet spells are as rare as jewels. Many can't stand even a
              little silence and try to fill it with empty chatter - or with words
              that should never have been spoken. It is a great art to be silent. The
              Cherokee calls it da lo ni ge s to di - e lu we i, which is golden
              silence. We paint with our words that which we want others to see, and
              we choose colors to communicate, to understand, to sense. The fewest
              words make silence speak most eloquently.
              ~ The fruits of silence are self-control, courage, endurance, patience
              and dignity. ~
              OHIYESA, DAKOTA
              "A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
              Elder's Meditation of the Day - January 2
              "People have to be responsible for their thoughts, so they have to learn
              to control them. It may not be easy, but it can be done."
              --Rolling Thunder, CHEROKEE
              WE control our thoughts by controlling our self talk. At any moment we
              choose we can talk to ourselves differently. The fight comes with the
              emotions that are attached to our thoughts. If our emotion is high and
              seems to be out of control, we can say to ourselves  STOP IT!, take a
              few deep breaths, then ask the Creator for the right thought or the
              right decision or the right action. If we practice this for a while, our
              thought life will be different. It helps if in the morning we ask God to
              direct our thinking. God loves to help us.

              Great Spirit,
              today, direct
              my thinking so
              my choices are