Secrets Of Maya Technology With James Okon

  • Royce Holleman
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12, 2012
      http://www.theoldexplorer.com/

      Show airs live Wednesday September 12th at 6:00 pm cst
      To listen click the arrow on the player above
      You may need to refresh your browser window if you were here before the show started

      About the guest

      James A. O’Kon, P.E. is a professional engineer with decades of experience
      designing award-winning projects. His 40 years of investigating the engineering feats
      and technology of the Maya have been presented in numerous presentations to scientific
      symposia, and he was inducted into the Explorers Club as a National Fellow for his work
      on the Maya. His discoveries of the Maya have been recognized by National Geographic
      Magazine and on the History Channel, among other media.

      About the book

       For Immediate Release
      Media Contact: Mallory Clay
      warwick@...
      (707) 939-9212
      www.warwickassociates.net
      Lost in the Rainforest, an Undiscovered Maya Structure
      Reveals New Evidence of Ancient Technology
      San Francisco, CA (April 22, 2012)--- In 1995, James O’Kon shocked the archaeological
      world with the discovery of a massive, lost landmark of Maya engineering, the long span
      suspension bridge at the ancient city of Yaxchilan in Mexico. Now considered to be the
      longest bridge of the ancient world, the structure was overlooked by scientists who had
      studied the site for more than a century.
      In his new book, The Lost Secrets of Maya Technology, O’Kon recounts the thrilling realization
      of his discovery and how he used modern methods to examine and prove the existence
      of the spectacular bridge.
      The dugout canoe slid through the swirling waters of the Usumacinta River. Spider
      monkeys swung through the vines, and toucans and macaws flew amid the towering
      tropical rainforest. We were traveling downriver to the Maya city of Yaxchilan. Sitting
      in the bow, I did not realize that I would make a discovery that would change
      my life forever.
      My first glimpses of the riverine city were tall palace structures high on green hills
      above the river. As we prepared to land on the south bank, I noticed a large ruined
      structure rising above the water. To the north, a similar, less defined structure was
      visible.
      I said, "Hey, those two structures look like bridge piers. I think the Maya built a bridge
      across here."
      "Impossible," retorted the archaeologist behind me.
      I turned to him and asked, "Why do you say that?"
      He replied "Because the Maya were a Stone Age culture, without the technological capabilities
      to build such complex structures."
      Pointing to the hills, I said, "Who built those?"
      He said, "They are simply stone and mortar, typical of a stone age culture."
      Author, lecturer, and award-winning structural engineer, James O’Kon PE has explored
      more than 50 remote Maya sites and researched Maya technological accomplishments for
      more than 40 years. Combing his talents as a forensic engineer with evidence gleaned from
      his archaeological investigations, he lifts the veil of mystery from the lost technology of the
      Maya.
      –– more ––
      Page Two/Lost Secrets of Maya Technology
      Former chairman of the forensic council of the American Society of Civil Engineers, O’Kon
      used computers to integrate archaeological studies, aerial photos and maps to develop a 3-
      dimensional model and determine the exact positioning and dimensions of the bridge.
      What archaeologists had assumed was an insignificant rock pile turned out to be two piers
      12 feet high and 35 feet in diameter, which supported a 600-foot-long, hemp rope span connecting
      Yaxchilan with its agricultural domain in the Peten, now Guatemala and where
      Tikal is situated––a breakthrough in Mayan history and culture.
      The Lost Secrets of Maya Technology is an exciting documentation of O’Kon’s exploration, research,
      forensic engineering and virtual reconstruction of lost technological achievements
      that enabled the Maya to construct cities towering above the rainforest, water systems with
      underground reservoirs, miles of paved jungle tracks, and the longest bridge in the ancient
      world.
      He also explains how Maya engineers built multi-story buildings that were not exceeded in
      height until the first skyscraper erected in the U.S. in 1885, how they invented the blast furnace
      2,000 years before it was patented in England, and developed the vulcanization of
      rubber more than 2,600 years before Goodyear.