Setting A Limit With Emotions~DailyOM

  • Butterfly_Dancer@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2008
      Setting A Limit To Sit With Emotions
      How Long
      Our emotions color our lives with varying palettes. Sometimes we feel a
      strong emotion in reaction to something that has happened, but emotions
      also visit us seemingly out of the blue, flooding us unexpectedly with
      joy or grief or melancholy. Like the weather, they come and go,
      influencing our mental state with their particular vibration. Sometimes
      a difficult emotion hangs around longer than we would like, and we begin
      to wonder when it will release its hold on us. This is often true of
      grief stemming from loss, for example, or lingering anger over a past
      event.
      ~
      Usually, if we allow ourselves to feel our emotions fully when they come
      up, they recede naturally, giving way to another and another. When an
      emotion haunts us, it is often because we are afraid of really feeling
      it. Emotions like despair and rage are powerful, and it is natural to
      want to hold them at bay. Certainly, we don't want to let them take us
      over so that we say or do things we later regret. When we are facing
      this kind of situation, it can be helpful to ask the spirit, "How long
      do I need to sit with these emotions, how long do I need to feel these
      emotions before they can pass?" If you ask sincerely and wait, an answer
      will come. Setting a time limit on your engagement with that difficult
      emotion may be just the technique you need to face it fully.
      ~
      When you have a sense of how much time you need to spend, set a timer.
      Sit down and make yourself available to the emotion that has been
      nagging you. All you have to do is feel it. Avoid getting attached to it
      or rejecting it. Simply let it ebb and flow within you. Emotions are by
      their nature cyclical, so you can trust that just as one reaches its
      apex it will pass. Each time you sit with its presence without either
      repressing or acting out, you will find that that difficult emotion was
      the catalyst for much needed emotional healing.