Prophecy of The Hopi

  • r h
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2006

      Dan Katchongva Hopi People, Arizona; 1865-1972

      Sources: Excerpted from a booklet, The Hopi Story — Teachings, History, and Prophecies of the Hopi People. As told by the late Dan Katchongva, Sun Clan. Translated by Danagyumptewa. The identity of the editor (the person who did the excerpting) is not known to me.

      Summary

      The booklet sets forth prophetic elements of the traditional oral and written history of the Hopi People. Apparently, the coming of the White race was foreseen. There are to be two great wars (WWI and II) and then a final cataclysmic event, which will lead to either global purification or destruction. It will involve extensive natural disasters and war. This event will occur under the sway of the Red Symbol, a supernatural entity of whom it is said, "Humble people will run to him in search of a new world, and the equality that has been denied them. He will come unmercifully. His people will cover the Earth like red ants." Through this "purification" the earth will be healed: "Mother Earth will bloom again and all people will unite into peace and harmony for a long time to come." There is a chance, though, that the Hopi People will be utterly destroyed, and the rest of us with them.

      Commentary

      The Hopi prophecies are among the most important from the Native American community. However, a number of versions have been published. Is this one the most authoritative and accurate? (If not, which one is?) Were the prophecies related to the outside world, or committed to writing internally, before World War I and/or II? This would help confirm their authenticity.

      From the booklet:

      INTRODUCTION
      In a talk recorded on January 29, 1970, Dan told the story of the People of Peace, from the dawn of time to the attacks which led to the founding of Hotevilla in 1906, the school, money, and police systems which threaten to end the Hopi Way within this generation; and the consequences for America and the world.

      The thought of publishing his talk grew from the recognition that those causing this tragedy, and the millions who support them, could not persist, had they but a glimpse of the purpose behind Hopi resistance to foreign control. Dan agreed to the publication of this booklet on condition that it never be sold, insisting that to sell Hopi teachings would be like selling his own mother.

      In addition to the prophecies fulfilled during his lifetime, Dan was told by his father that he would live to see the beginning of the final event of this era, the Great Day of Purification. Dan Katchongva died in 1972.

      [Editor's Note: This story tells of the beginning of life, the creation of people by the Great Spirit and the giving of the Great Spirit's laws to live by. It tells of the Hopi people's emergence into the present world, and the first meeting with the Great Spirit in this world, and the people's migration to the four corners area in the Southwest, and the settling of the village of Oraibi and the peace and happiness that surrounded their way of life. The story then continues...]

      ARRIVAL OF ANOTHER RACE FORETOLD
      Time passed on, people passed on, and the prophecies of things to come were passed from mouth to mouth. The stone tablets and the rock writing of the life plan were often reviewed by the elders. Fearfully they waited as they retold the prophecy that one day another race of people would appear in their midst and claim our land as his own. He would try to change our pattern of life. He would have "a sweet tongue" or a "fork tongue" and many good things by which we would be tempted. He would use force in an attempt to trap us into using weapons, but we must not fall for this trick, for then we ourselves would be brought to our knees, from which we might not be able to rise. Nor must we ever raise our hand against any nation. We now call these people Bahanna.

      THE FORCES OF PURIFICATION
      We have teachings and prophecies informing us that we must be alert for the signs and omens which will come about to give us courage and strength to stand on our beliefs. Blood will flow. Our hair and our clothing will be scattered upon the earth. Nature will speak to us with its mighty breath of wind. There will be earthquakes and floods causing great disasters, changes in the seasons and in the weather, disappearance of wildlife, and famine in different forms. There will be gradual corruption and confusion among the leaders and the people all over the world, and wars will come about like powerful winds. All of this has been planned from the beginning of creation.

      We will have three people standing behind us, ready to fulfill our prophecies when we get into hopeless difficulties: the Meha Symbol (which refers to a plant that has a long root, milky sap, grows back when cut off, and has a flower shaped like a swastika, symbolizing the four great forces of nature in motion), the Sun Symbol, and the Red Symbol. Bahanna's intrusion into the Hopi way of life will set the Meha symbol in motion, so that the four great forces of nature (the four directions, the controlling forces, the original force) will rock the world into war. When this happens we will know that our prophecies are coming true. We will gather strength and stand firm.

      This great movement will fall, but because its subsistence is milk, and because it is controlled by the four forces of nature, it will rise again to put the world in motion, creating another war, in which both the Meha and the Sun Symbol will be at work. [My note: apparently referring to the swastika-like Meha (Germany) in conjunction with the Rising Sun (Japan)] Then it will rest in order to rise a third time. Our prophecy foretells that the third event will be the decisive one. Our road plan foretells the outcome.

      This sacred writing speaks the word of the Great Spirit. It could mean the mysterious life seed with two principles of tomorrow, indicating one, inside of which is two. The third and last, which will it bring forth, purification or destruction?

      The third event will depend upon the Red Symbol, which will take command, setting the four forces of nature (Meha) in motion for the benefit of the Sun. When he sets these forces in motion the whole world will shake and turn red and turn against the people who are hindering the Hopi cultural life. To all these people Purification Day will come. Humble people will run to him in search of a new world, and the equality that has been denied them. He will come unmercifully. His people will cover the Earth like red ants. We must not go outside to watch. We must stay in our houses. He will come and gather the wicked people who are hindering the red people who were here first. He will be looking for someone whom he will recognize by his way of life, or by his head (the special Hopi haircut) or by the shape of his village and his dwellings. He is the only one who will purify us. The Purifier, commanded by the Red Symbol, with the help of the Sun and the Meha, will weed out the
      wicked who have disturbed the way of life of the Hopi, the true way of life on Earth. The wicked will be beheaded and will speak no more. This will be the Purification for all righteous people, the Earth, and all living things on Earth. The ills of the earth will be cured. Mother Earth will bloom again and all people will unite into peace and harmony for a long time to come.

      But if this does not materialize, the Hopi traditional identity will vanish due to pressure from Bahanna. Through the whiteman's influence, his religions, and the disappearance of our sacred land, the Hopi will be doomed. This is the Universal Plan, speaking through the Great Spirit since the dawn of time.

      The Hopi have been placed on this side of the Earth to take care of the land through their ceremonial duties, just as other races of people have been placed elsewhere around the Earth to take care of her in their own ways. Together, we hold the world in balance, revolving properly. If the Hopi nation vanishes, the motion of the Earth will become eccentric, the water will swallow the land, and the people will perish. Only a brother and a sister may be left to start a new life.

      [Editor's Note: there is more history here about the faithful Hopi meeting their test, encounters with the U.S. government and the consequences of that, the eviction of Hopi from Oraibi, the founding of Hotevilla village and further persecution by the U. S. government, and the continuation of troubles — as of 1970, the date of this talk.]

      Continuing the narrative from the booklet...

      We know certain people are commissioned to bring about the Purification. It is the Universal Plan from the beginning of creation, and we are looking up to them to bring purification to us. It is in the rock writings throughout the world, on different continents. We will come together if people all over the world know about it. So we urge you to spread this word around so people will know about it, and the appointed ones will hurry up with their task, to purify the Hopi and get rid of those who are hindering our way of life.

      I have spoken. I wish this message to travel to all corners of this land and across the great waters, where people of understanding may consider these words of wisdom and knowledge. This I want. For people may have different opinions about some things, but because of the nature of the beliefs upon which this Hopi life is based, I expect that at least one will agree, maybe even two. If three agree it will be worth manyfold.

      I am forever looking and praying eastward to the rising sun for my true white brother to come and purify the Hopi. My father, Yukiuma, used to tell me that I would be the one to take over as leader at this time, because I belong to the Sun Clan, the father of all the people on the Earth. I was told that I must not give in, because I am the first. The Sun is the father of all living things from the first creation. And if I am done, the Sun Clan, then there will be no living thing left on the Earth. So I have stood fast. I hope you will understand what I am trying to tell you.

      I am the Sun, the father. With my warmth all things are created. You are my children and I am very concerned about you. I hold you to protect you from harm, but my heart is sad to see you leaving my protecting arms and destroying yourselves. From the breast of you mother, the Earth, you receive your nourishment, but she is too dangerously ill to give you pure food. What will it be? Will you lift your father's heart? Will you cure your mother's ills? Or will you forsake us and leave us with sadness to be weathered away? I don't want this world to be destroyed. If this world is saved, you all will be saved and whoever has stood fast will complete this plan with us, so that we will all be happy in the Peaceful Way.

      People everywhere must give Hopi their most serious consideration, our prophecies, our teachings, and our ceremonial duties, for if Hopi fails, it will trigger the destruction of the world and all mankind. I have spoken through the mouth of the Creator. May the Great Spirit guide you on the right path.
      Next: St. Malachy Return to Prophets menu