My Battle Between 'Disclosure vs Omission'

  • Samantha Synder
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2003
      My Battle Between 'Disclosure vs Omission'...07/31/03
      by Mitch Battros (ECTV)

      Before I disclose todays announcement of increased volcanic activity, I
      think it is important to gain a foundation regarding the nature of news
      which I believe will be coming forth.

      It is my belief ECTV will be sending out what will appear to be
      extraordinary breaking news which involves 'earth changes'. I feel it is
      most important to maintain a sense of groundedness and empowerment. The
      possible upcoming articles will seem alarming, and there is the risk of
      setting off inherent defense triggers every human possess. It is the very
      necessary 'fight or flight' defense mechanism which is 'hard wired' for
      survival. However, it is this very human and compulsory reflex which can
      work against us. As a mental health therapist, I can tell you most of the
      DSM IV diagnosed "stress and anxiety disorder" patient's I
      work with, is directly related to "over-use" or "mis-use" of this very
      natural reaction to life.

      It will be up to each and every one of us, to stride toward minimizing, or
      perhaps better stated...preparing, for events ahead which could trigger
      distorted 'cause and effect' reactions based on past experiences, or our
      current inability to handle rapid change. It is my belief we will need to
      practice are innate skills and powers of adaptability. It is for this
      reason, I have foretold of not placing the importance of "where" you live,
      but "who" you live with.

      With events which may be unfolding in the next months and years, it will be
      more important than ever before to sharpen our coping skills and survivor
      instincts. This preparation involves the whole being. Physical (basic
      survival equipment), Mental (ability to handle stress, anxiety, fear,
      bewilderment), Spiritual (having a sense of purpose, a understanding of
      process, evolution, transition, and synchronicity). Synchronicity - knowing
      all that is happening is part of a bigger picture. A knowingness that all is
      in perfect order. The understanding of a natural cycle.

      Something Called PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder)

      Most often there is a connection to past trauma experienced as a child, or
      later in life as an adult after undertaking shocking
      and unexpected traumatic experiences. Some common traumatic experiences
      include being physically attacked, being in a
      serious accident, being in combat, being sexually assaulted, being in a
      fire, or experiencing a disaster such as a hurricane,
      earthquake or a tornado. After traumatic experiences, people can find
      themselves having problems they didn't have before
      the event.

      People who go through traumatic experiences often have symptoms and problems
      afterwards. How serious the symptoms
      and problems are depends on many things, including a person's life
      experiences before the trauma, a person's own natural
      ability to cope with stress, how serious the trauma was, and what kinds of
      help and support a person gets from family,
      friends, and professionals immediately following the trauma.

      Because most trauma survivors don't know how trauma usually affects people,
      they often have trouble understanding what is
      happening to them. They may think it is their fault that the trauma
      happened, that they are going crazy, or that there is
      something wrong with them because other people who were there don't seem to
      have the same problems. They may turn to
      drugs or alcohol to make them feel better. They may turn away from friends
      and family who don't seem to understand. They
      may not know what they can do to get better.

      Who is most likely to develop PTSD?

      1. Those who experience greater stressor magnitude and intensity,
      unpredictability, uncontrollability, assault, victimization,
      real or perceived responsibility, and betrayal.

      2. Those with prior vulnerability factors such as genetics, early age of
      onset and longer-lasting childhood trauma, lack of
      functional social support, and concurrent stressful life events.

      3. Those who report greater perceived threat or danger, suffering, upset,
      terror, and horror or fear.

      4. Those with a social environment that produces shame, guilt,
      stigmatization, or self-hatred.

      What are the consequences associated with PTSD?

      PTSD is associated with a number of distinctive neurobiological and
      physiological changes. PTSD may be associated with
      stable neurobiological alterations in both the central and autonomic nervous
      systems, such as altered brainwave activity,
      decreased volume of the hippocampus, and abnormal activation of the
      amygdala. Both the hippocampus and the amygdala
      are involved in the processing and integration of memory. The amygdala has
      also been found to be involved in coordinating
      the body's fear response.

      Psychophysiological alterations associated with PTSD include hyper-arousal
      of the sympathetic nervous system, increased
      sensitivity of the startle reflex, and sleep abnormalities.

      People with PTSD tend to have abnormal levels of key hormones involved in
      the body's response to stress. Thyroid function
      also seems to be enhanced in people with PTSD. Some studies have shown that
      cortisol levels in those with PTSD are lower
      than normal and epinephrine and norepinephrine levels are higher than
      normal. People with PTSD also continue to produce
      higher than normal levels of natural opiates after the trauma has passed. An
      important finding is that the neurohormonal
      changes seen in PTSD are distinct from, and actually opposite to, those seen
      in major depression. The distinctive profile
      associated with PTSD is also seen in individuals who have both PTSD and
      depression.

      PTSD is associated with the increased likelihood of co-occurring psychiatric
      disorders. In a large-scale study, 88 percent of
      men and 79 percent of women with PTSD met criteria for another psychiatric
      disorder. The co-occurring disorders most
      prevalent for men with PTSD were alcohol abuse or dependence (51.9 percent),
      major depressive episodes (47.9 percent),
      conduct disorders (43.3 percent), and drug abuse and dependence (34.5
      percent). The disorders most frequently co-morbid
      with PTSD among women were major depressive disorders (48.5 percent), simple
      phobias (29 percent), social phobias
      (28.4 percent), and alcohol abuse/dependence (27.9 percent).

      Here in-lies my dilemma

      There have been several studies on how the public at large would react to
      sudden, shocking, and possible life threatening
      scenarios. Examples used 1) Nuclear attack 2) Asteroid heading directly
      at earth 3) Disclosure of alien life 4) Natural
      Disasters

      We were witness to this very real function of our government just hours
      after the 9-11 al-Quada attacks. We saw "live" on
      our television screens, government officials fighting over the issue of
      disclosing or omitting factual information to the public.
      We heard it was not wise to disclose information which would "panic" the
      public out of fear of anarchy, violence, suicides,
      and general civil-unrest. It was argued, the better way to "minimize" panic
      was through informing the public of very real and
      ongoing events, thereby giving the public a chance to understand, prepare
      and adjust to whatever threats announced.

      My studies have directed me to the latter. I believe it is far better to
      assist in minimizing shock and surprise through education,
      information and preparation. The theory of 'omission' to better serve the
      public is simply out-dated, assuming it was ever
      useful at all. I believe we have evolved significantly in our abilities to
      acquire and process news as it occurs, regardless of its
      imminent dangers.

      Therefore, I have decided to disclose information to you as I receive it. I
      trust that you can, and will, use your gift of
      "discernment". Yes, it is true that many could be prone to suffer negative
      reactions such as PTSD consequences, but at this
      time, I believe it is better to be "aware and prepared". In fact, there are
      studies which state clearly, it is the action of being
      "aware and prepared" which will minimize the effects of shock, denial and
      bewilderment.

      I am open to your feedback. If you disagree with my sentiments or theory of
      disclosure, feel free to reply with your
      suggestions.

      The breaking news on volcanic activity will follow this article.

      Thought For The Day

      "In that the wisdom of the few becomes available to the many, there is
      progress in human affairs; without it, the
      static routine of tradition continues."

      - Jospeh Jastrow

      Subscribe To ECTV For Full Access:
      http://www.earthchangestv.com/subscribe.htm