IMPORTANT~Child needs your help~~~>

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 25, 2003
      Hello Larry
      I have a friend who needs your help. Her son (1/2 Navajo and 1/2 Anglo)
      has a rare blood disease and needs help in the Native American
      community. I am enclosing the press release and contact information for
      the nearest blood center to you, so that hopefully there can be a bone
      marrow drive at the next powwow in your community.
      If you are successful at being able to host a drive, please let me know
      so we can update Dakota's website with the dates and times.
      Here is a list of the blood centers nearest you that you would need to
      contact for help in hosting a bone marrow drive.
      Center ID: 028
      American Red Cross Blood Services Southeastern Michigan Region
      100 Mack Avenue
      P.O. Box 33351
      Detroit, MI 48232-5351
      313-494-2774
      Center ID: 029

      Michigan Community Blood Centers
      1036 Fuller Avenue, Northeast
      P.O. Box 1704
      Grand Rapids, MI 49501-1704
      616-233-8604
      http://www.miblood.org
      Center ID: 030

      American Red Cross Great Lakes Region
      1729 East Saginaw
      Lansing, MI 48912
      517-484-2224 ext 330
      Thank You,
      Randee Rosenberg
      123 Warbler Dr.
      Wayne, NJ 07470
      Ph: 973-851-6759

      Media Contact: Tristan Kwiecinski
      (718) 956-5159
      July 10, 2003
      DAKOTA'S SEARCH FOR MARROW DONOR:
      YOUNG PATIENT URGES BONE MARROW REGISTRATION
      ----
      Unusual Ethnic Mix Lengthens Odds Against Match
      A two-year old boy with a rare blood disease desperately needs your
      help. Dakota Kwiecinski's only chance for survival rests on bone marrow
      transplant, but his Caucasian and Navajo Indian genetic lineage makes
      finding a donor a long-shot.
      Dakota suffers from hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis, commonly called
      HLH. Dakota first developed symptoms of the disease that triggered HLH
      last February. Then, after weeks of fevers over 104 degrees Fahrenheit,
      Dakota's eyes rolled to the back of his head, his skin turned yellow,
      and he had difficulty responding to the sound of his mother's voice.
      In late March, Dakota's family entered a room full of pediatricians of
      varying specialties sitting in a circle who explained Dakota had been
      diagnosed with hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis, or HLH. It is a rare
      life-threatening disease that primarily attacks children at a very early
      age. This destructive disease is often triggered by an infection that
      appears non-threatening. However, HLH must be treated aggressively,
      often with chemotherapy, and control of the disease, if achieved, is
      temporary. Without treatment, the disease will return and claim another
      life.
      An intense chemotherapy regimen set the disease into remission, but
      doctors say if a bone marrow donor is not found it is unlikely Dakota
      will survive the next year.
      donors of Native American and mixed race ethnicity in the New York area
      will be held on July 22, 2003 at the American Indian Community House,
      708 Broadway, 8th Floor, in Manhattan, from 10am to 2pm. There are about
      20,000 people of Native American ancestry living in the five boroughs.
      Another drive is scheduled for July 26, 2003 at the 25th Annual
      Thunderbird American Indian Mid-Summer Powwow to be held at the Queens
      County Farm Museum at 73-50 Little Neck Parkway, Floral Park, Queens,
      from 12pm to 5 pm.
      In addition, a series of donor drives aimed at the Navajo communities in
      New Mexico¬óDakota's home state¬ówill be held later in July. In
      Michigan, the Little River Band of Ottawa Indians held a bone marrow
      registry drive and a blood drive on July 5th at their Annual Powwow to
      help find a donor match for Dakota and other Native American people.
      Bone marrow transplants offer the only chance of a cure for this
      disease. Dakota's greatest difficulty here is finding a matching bone
      marrow donor. While Dakota's search focuses on Native American and mixed
      race donors, his match may come from a donor of any ethnicity.
      Volunteering to become a donor increases the odds for every child in
      need of this life-saving procedure.
      Those wanting to donate to the Dakota BMT Fund in care of Bank of
      America can go to  HYPERLINK
      "http://www.dakotakwiecinski.org/donations.html"
      http://www.dakotakwiecinski.org/donations.html. Visit Dakota's
      website at  HYPERLINK "http://www.dakotakwiecinski.org"
      http://www.dakotakwiecinski.org to learn more.
      Here's e-mail addy's if you want to talk to us concerning this little
      one ~Thank you~
      Larry-Irons@...
      Maur30@...
      charles166@...