Daily Meditation~~~~>

    Message 1 of 130 , Jul 17, 2003
      From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Thu, Jul 17, 2003, 10:58am To:
      [openfires] July 17 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
      openfires@yahoogroups.com
      It is written that where there's a will there's a way. If a desire is
      sincere and the results are for the good of everyone, the first giant
      steps have already been taken. American clergyman Joel Hawes has been
      quoted, "You may be whatever you resolve to be. Determine to be
      something in the world, and you will be something - 'I cannot' never
      accomplishes anything; 'I will try' has wrought wonders."
      A positive attitude can be one of the greatest joys to experience. To
      begin a day by willing everything good, and meeting any obstacle with
      the idea that it has no power, can make some of the most sudden and
      drastic changes in anyone's life.
      To be something or someone is one of the strongest desires, but it does
      mean sacrifices of doubt and apprehension and feeling sorry for oneself.
      It means standing straighter when it is more comfortable to crawl. It
      means laughing instead of lamenting. It means thinking positively and
      speaking good words.
      It is said that a great deal of talent is lost in this world for the
      want of a little courage. We often think of courage as the kind that
      wins wars and braves new fronts. But there is another plain, ordinary
      kind of courage that helps us face our everyday problems.
      There is a surprising lack of this kind of courage, and it leads us to
      seek ways to dodge our responsibilities. It takes a tremendous amount of
      courage to face everything and everyone and take a firm stand for what
      we believe. It takes courage to admit we have weaknesses and needs that
      we must overcome. It is a daily fight to follow the right road when the
      wrong one looks so smooth. And it takes courage to believe, when
      obstacles face us.
      God has given courage to each of us, for strength to overcome is
      available to all who are courageous in asking for help to be courageous.
      There is little wrong with the earth that it cannot clean up itself. It
      renews constantly, trying to keep pace with so much tampering going on.
      It has its hot spots, its upheavals, and the recycling of elements - but
      the Indian has known how to live with the changes. It is the world of
      people that needs to clean up its act. Some think the trouble began when
      the atom was split - but it was more apt to be when man split with the
      Great Holy Spirit. We learn from the earth not to build up too much
      pressure or we will blow it. The river has taught us we can't be too
      broadminded or we spread out in the shallows and dry up in the midday
      sun. When moral standards were lost in the shuffle, the world kicked
      over the lantern again.
      ~ Hear me, not for myself but for my people....that they may once more
      go back....and find the good road and the shielding tree. ~
      BLACK ELK
      "My friends, how desperately do we need to be loved and to love."
      --Chief Dan George, SKOKOMISH
      Oh my great Creator: Help me this day to love myself. I can't give away
      anything that I don't have myself. If I am to love others, then I must
      love myself. If I am to forgive others, then I am to forgive myself. If
      I am to accept others as they are then I need to accept myself as I am.
      If I am to not judge others, then I need to lighten up on myself. Let me
      experience this power of love...
      My Creator,
      today I will love myself
      so I can love my neighbor.
      I will look at each person today
      and see Your light within them.
      If I do this,
      I will hold my brothers and sisters
      without guilt.
      Message 130 of 130 , Jul 23, 2003
        From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Wed, Jul 23, 2003, 9:08am To:
        [Tradition_OF_The_Redroad] July 23 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
        How weak-willed we are at times when we've made a decision and know we
        must stand on it. It is so much easier to give in to the easy way of
        doing things.
        We are almost a "house divided against itself," and the strain of
        staying with a decision seems almost our enemy. But we never gain much
        stature by giving in to ourselves against our better judgement. And we
        never get anywhere by scattering our efforts.
        Making a decision is difficult enough without losing one's determination
        in following through. Laying down the responsibility is someone like
        warning children to behave themselves and then permitting them to
        continue to misbehave.
        How long has it been since you've proven to yourself that you mean
        business in carrying out a plan?
        A man of wisdom has written that we have firmness of character when we
        have the ability to say "no" to the wrong as well as to those things
        which are good but stand in the way of our progress.
        Always remember that to want something that is good and right is the
        blessing. God gave us that ability to desire or we would never have
        thought of using it. But God also gave us the ability to cry, to feel
        pain, and the freedom to choose whether we go on or quit.
        In our lives we face many decisions. Some are hard to make because we
        know we must turn our backs upon something that seems harmless at the
        moment simply because we know it would not be good in the long run.
        But there are also decisions that are more challenge than decision. They
        are the good things that are placed before us, and our will to follow
        through is tested. When defeat seems sure, then is the time to begin to
        fight. When others are quitting, then is the time to throw more strength
        into the battle. Anything worth having is worth working for, and is of
        lasting value.
        Very often these sieges must be made silently and without seeming
        effort. And yet we know we cannot get something for nothing. We have a
        service to perform. We can make it a drudge, or we can make it a
        delightful experience, according to our faith. Be persistent. Unless you
        do not particularly want your dreams to come true, you can't afford to
        know the meaning of apathy. You must continually be on the scene with
        the muscles of your mind toned.
        It isn't difficult to have a dream. But it often ceases at that point.
        The willingness to follow through, the determination to look
        impossibilities in the eye and trudge on must be practiced before that
        dream can amount to anything.
        All along life's road there are those who would discourage you, every
        often in ignorance, not realizing the effect of their words upon you. It
        is then that you must muster the strength to believe that theirs is only
        an opinion while your plans are based on the principle that all good
        things come to those who hustle while they wait.
        It is too bad that they cannot see your invisible companions,
        persistence, faith, and a worthwhile plan. Smile and walk on.
        There is a Divine Being with whom we can place all our obstacles, all
        our doubts and fears - and then our work begins. We give lovingly of
        friendship, of any kind of help that we are capable of giving, of
        positive words and thoughts and understanding.
        Give without thought of return. For while we are giving with loving
        selflessness, life shapes for us our heart's desire.
        Much is lost through misunderstanding - and often because we want
        someone to know we are angry. We choose to think they intentionally
        displease us, though we know nothing of their circumstance of what their
        thoughts really were. It must be an ego-building thing to believe that
        someone is trying to offend us. Somehow it gives an importance where
        there had been none. We have the uncanny knack of building a sad story
        with such realism that it makes us think we are more important than we
        are. It is not enjoyable to be the kind of person who wants to
        misunderstand - not only other people, but also life itself. It is
        painful to be unhappy and disagreeable, but some cannot resist the
        temptation.
        ~ It has come to me through the bushes that you are not united
        (agreeable); come to me when you are united. ~
        BIG BEAR
        "...the greatest strength is in gentleness."
        --Leon Shenandoah, ONONDAGA
        Our Elders have taught us many lessons about becoming a Warrior and how
        to think and act like one. We have been told about the power of
        gentleness. We have been told about the power of the stillness. Physical
        power is about effort. Mental power is the opposite. It's about being
        effortless or less any effort. Gentleness is one of the greatest
        attributes of the Warrior and one of the greatest mental powers. It
        takes a lot of love to be gentle. Gentleness is not an ego word.
        Gentleness is the weapon of the Great Spirit.
        My Creator,
        today I will be gentle
        with myself
        and with others.