Daily Meditation~~~~>

    Message 1 of 130 , Jul 16, 2003
      From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Wed, Jul 16, 2003, 8:48am To:
      [openfires] July 16 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
      openfires@yahoogroups.com
      There are many fears in the minds of man, but none so subtle, yet so
      effectual, as fear of failure.
      We are so afraid we've been unwise and wasted valuable time and it makes
      us wonder how many times we've failed those who depended upon us, and
      how many times we've failed ourselves.
      Time seems too short to make up and overcome the things long past. It
      seems sometimes that opportunities are there and gone before we?ve had
      time to make use of them. We condemn ourselves so much for the lack of
      knowledge when we most needed it. But if decisions were made on after
      thought, they might not be as wise as those made quickly, without time
      to think.
      We should no longer think about past failures, nor give undue thought to
      our chances for future ones, but only begin now to do the very best we
      can.
      True failure comes only to those who stop trying, for no age, no time,
      no place can stop the person who decides to try one more time. As
      Frederick William Farrar, English author, has written, "There is only
      one real failure in life that is possible, and that is, not to be true
      to the best one knows."
      If time were a dollar - how careful we would be with how we spent it. We
      wouldn't spend it on worry, for we know fretting is not profitable.
      Anything limited makes us conscious of what we do with it, whether it is
      time or money or the people in our lives. How we value what we have
      decides what we keep. The Cherokee doesn't want many things, but they
      know the wise are i yv da, careful or mindful of what is important. Such
      caution teaches us to think before we talk, to slow our pace and find
      peace of mind. It eventually gives us more resources, and more time to
      enjoy them.
      ~ If we could have spared more, we would have given more.... ~
      CANASSATEGO
      "Grandfather says...you must not hurt anybody or do harm to anyone. You
      must not fight. Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life."
      --Wovoka, PAIUTE
      The question one should ask themselves is: Do you want to be right or do
      you want to be happy? If you want to be right, this is a request from
      your ego. If you want to be happy then this is of the Great Spirit. The
      only meaning anything has is the meaning we give it. Maybe we should
      develop a philosophy of: Today is the last day of the rest of my life.
      If this were true, how easy it would be to let things go - how easy it
      would be to forgive.
      Oh Great Spirit,
      let me live today
      as if it was my last.
      Let me express Your joy
      and be happy today.
      Let me see the joy and honor
      of living on the Red Road.
      Message 130 of 130 , Jul 23, 2003
        From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Wed, Jul 23, 2003, 9:08am To:
        [Tradition_OF_The_Redroad] July 23 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
        How weak-willed we are at times when we've made a decision and know we
        must stand on it. It is so much easier to give in to the easy way of
        doing things.
        We are almost a "house divided against itself," and the strain of
        staying with a decision seems almost our enemy. But we never gain much
        stature by giving in to ourselves against our better judgement. And we
        never get anywhere by scattering our efforts.
        Making a decision is difficult enough without losing one's determination
        in following through. Laying down the responsibility is someone like
        warning children to behave themselves and then permitting them to
        continue to misbehave.
        How long has it been since you've proven to yourself that you mean
        business in carrying out a plan?
        A man of wisdom has written that we have firmness of character when we
        have the ability to say "no" to the wrong as well as to those things
        which are good but stand in the way of our progress.
        Always remember that to want something that is good and right is the
        blessing. God gave us that ability to desire or we would never have
        thought of using it. But God also gave us the ability to cry, to feel
        pain, and the freedom to choose whether we go on or quit.
        In our lives we face many decisions. Some are hard to make because we
        know we must turn our backs upon something that seems harmless at the
        moment simply because we know it would not be good in the long run.
        But there are also decisions that are more challenge than decision. They
        are the good things that are placed before us, and our will to follow
        through is tested. When defeat seems sure, then is the time to begin to
        fight. When others are quitting, then is the time to throw more strength
        into the battle. Anything worth having is worth working for, and is of
        lasting value.
        Very often these sieges must be made silently and without seeming
        effort. And yet we know we cannot get something for nothing. We have a
        service to perform. We can make it a drudge, or we can make it a
        delightful experience, according to our faith. Be persistent. Unless you
        do not particularly want your dreams to come true, you can't afford to
        know the meaning of apathy. You must continually be on the scene with
        the muscles of your mind toned.
        It isn't difficult to have a dream. But it often ceases at that point.
        The willingness to follow through, the determination to look
        impossibilities in the eye and trudge on must be practiced before that
        dream can amount to anything.
        All along life's road there are those who would discourage you, every
        often in ignorance, not realizing the effect of their words upon you. It
        is then that you must muster the strength to believe that theirs is only
        an opinion while your plans are based on the principle that all good
        things come to those who hustle while they wait.
        It is too bad that they cannot see your invisible companions,
        persistence, faith, and a worthwhile plan. Smile and walk on.
        There is a Divine Being with whom we can place all our obstacles, all
        our doubts and fears - and then our work begins. We give lovingly of
        friendship, of any kind of help that we are capable of giving, of
        positive words and thoughts and understanding.
        Give without thought of return. For while we are giving with loving
        selflessness, life shapes for us our heart's desire.
        Much is lost through misunderstanding - and often because we want
        someone to know we are angry. We choose to think they intentionally
        displease us, though we know nothing of their circumstance of what their
        thoughts really were. It must be an ego-building thing to believe that
        someone is trying to offend us. Somehow it gives an importance where
        there had been none. We have the uncanny knack of building a sad story
        with such realism that it makes us think we are more important than we
        are. It is not enjoyable to be the kind of person who wants to
        misunderstand - not only other people, but also life itself. It is
        painful to be unhappy and disagreeable, but some cannot resist the
        temptation.
        ~ It has come to me through the bushes that you are not united
        (agreeable); come to me when you are united. ~
        BIG BEAR
        "...the greatest strength is in gentleness."
        --Leon Shenandoah, ONONDAGA
        Our Elders have taught us many lessons about becoming a Warrior and how
        to think and act like one. We have been told about the power of
        gentleness. We have been told about the power of the stillness. Physical
        power is about effort. Mental power is the opposite. It's about being
        effortless or less any effort. Gentleness is one of the greatest
        attributes of the Warrior and one of the greatest mental powers. It
        takes a lot of love to be gentle. Gentleness is not an ego word.
        Gentleness is the weapon of the Great Spirit.
        My Creator,
        today I will be gentle
        with myself
        and with others.