Daily Meditation~~~~>

    Message 1 of 130 , Jun 20, 2003
      From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Fri, Jun 20, 2003, 9:28am To:
      [Tradition_OF_The_Redroad] June 20 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
      At those times when we have planned for something and have our hearts
      set on our affairs going in a certain direction but they fail to
      materialize, we are disappointed. If we have any faith at all, we must
      remember that one door never closes but another opens. That which once
      seemed the right thing to plan for may not hold all the things that
      would be for our good in the long run. It may have been right in the
      beginning, but as time passes and other events come into being, a change
      may be necessary for the benefit of the over-all picture.
      Sometimes we fix our attention so rigidly on one thing, one part of
      life, one person, that a change throws us into a state of extreme
      disappointment. But disappointment, like all of the emotions, can serve
      to strengthen rather than take away. The attitude with which we face
      life can determine its outcome.
      We can look with woeful eyes on the negative mental attitude and wallow
      in self-pity, or we can flip the mind to the upper side and let the
      positive mental attitude bring to us the strength and peace we need.
      Disappointment is something no one has escaped. The many plans we make
      sometimes fade like mist in the sunlight. A cherished dream may take
      another shape and to lose that vision can throw a dim view on all of
      life. Because one tiny part could not be fulfilled, we are so tempted to
      let all of the rest go with it.
      But if only we could wait a bit. So often we then come to realize the
      reason for our change in plans.
      Sometimes disappointment is the very thing that keeps us mounting the
      steps upward, keeps us stretching our minds to understand. And it may
      test our spirits. For if disappointment can make a spirit bitter, the
      joy of accomplishment would have soon soured.
      There is no joy in a disappointment, but it may be the thing to save us
      from a life of mediocrity.
      English novelist Edward George Bulwer-Lytton wrote, "Man must be
      disappointed with the lesser things in life before he can accomplish the
      full value of the greater."
      June 20 - Daily Feast
      Everything is fresh and new on a June morning. Someone performed a
      miracle while we slept. The air was cleaned to crystal clarity, the
      rising sun glistens on every leaf and blade of grass. The hills are new
      green from spring rains and the horses that graze there are sleek and
      shiny. Such rewards, such a sa s dv, are for the early riser, the one
      who greets the day with thanksgiving and praise. Regardless of how many
      tag-alongs from yesterday threaten, they cannot break the spell of the
      beauty at hand. Another opportunity, another splendid day that is so
      oblivious to the schemes of man. To go with it, to rise with the morning
      mist, is to know the freedom and restoration in the soul of the American
      Indian.
      ~ To the Indian, words that are true sink deep into his heart where they
      remain; he never forgets them. ~
      FOUR GUNS
      Elder's Meditation of the Day June 20
      "But in the Indian Spirit the land is still vested; it will be until
      other men are able to divine and meet its rhythm. Men must be born and
      reborn to belong. Their bodies must be formed of the dust of their
      forefathers' bones."
      --Luther Standing Bear, OGLALA SIOUX
      It is said when we walk on the Earth, we are walking on our ancestors
      and our unborn children. This is the relationship Native People have
      with the Earth. It is this relationship which gives insight into the
      Earth's rhythm and heartbeat and creates the feeling of belonging. If
      you feel you belong to something, you'll treat it with respect. If you
      feel you are above something, you'll treat it with disrespect. Indian
      Spirituality is tied to the Earth. We belong to the Earth along with all
      other creatures on the Earth. We must align to this realization.
      Great Spirit,
      today,
      teach me
      to respect
      the Earth Mother.
      Message 130 of 130 , Jul 23, 2003
        From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Wed, Jul 23, 2003, 9:08am To:
        [Tradition_OF_The_Redroad] July 23 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
        How weak-willed we are at times when we've made a decision and know we
        must stand on it. It is so much easier to give in to the easy way of
        doing things.
        We are almost a "house divided against itself," and the strain of
        staying with a decision seems almost our enemy. But we never gain much
        stature by giving in to ourselves against our better judgement. And we
        never get anywhere by scattering our efforts.
        Making a decision is difficult enough without losing one's determination
        in following through. Laying down the responsibility is someone like
        warning children to behave themselves and then permitting them to
        continue to misbehave.
        How long has it been since you've proven to yourself that you mean
        business in carrying out a plan?
        A man of wisdom has written that we have firmness of character when we
        have the ability to say "no" to the wrong as well as to those things
        which are good but stand in the way of our progress.
        Always remember that to want something that is good and right is the
        blessing. God gave us that ability to desire or we would never have
        thought of using it. But God also gave us the ability to cry, to feel
        pain, and the freedom to choose whether we go on or quit.
        In our lives we face many decisions. Some are hard to make because we
        know we must turn our backs upon something that seems harmless at the
        moment simply because we know it would not be good in the long run.
        But there are also decisions that are more challenge than decision. They
        are the good things that are placed before us, and our will to follow
        through is tested. When defeat seems sure, then is the time to begin to
        fight. When others are quitting, then is the time to throw more strength
        into the battle. Anything worth having is worth working for, and is of
        lasting value.
        Very often these sieges must be made silently and without seeming
        effort. And yet we know we cannot get something for nothing. We have a
        service to perform. We can make it a drudge, or we can make it a
        delightful experience, according to our faith. Be persistent. Unless you
        do not particularly want your dreams to come true, you can't afford to
        know the meaning of apathy. You must continually be on the scene with
        the muscles of your mind toned.
        It isn't difficult to have a dream. But it often ceases at that point.
        The willingness to follow through, the determination to look
        impossibilities in the eye and trudge on must be practiced before that
        dream can amount to anything.
        All along life's road there are those who would discourage you, every
        often in ignorance, not realizing the effect of their words upon you. It
        is then that you must muster the strength to believe that theirs is only
        an opinion while your plans are based on the principle that all good
        things come to those who hustle while they wait.
        It is too bad that they cannot see your invisible companions,
        persistence, faith, and a worthwhile plan. Smile and walk on.
        There is a Divine Being with whom we can place all our obstacles, all
        our doubts and fears - and then our work begins. We give lovingly of
        friendship, of any kind of help that we are capable of giving, of
        positive words and thoughts and understanding.
        Give without thought of return. For while we are giving with loving
        selflessness, life shapes for us our heart's desire.
        Much is lost through misunderstanding - and often because we want
        someone to know we are angry. We choose to think they intentionally
        displease us, though we know nothing of their circumstance of what their
        thoughts really were. It must be an ego-building thing to believe that
        someone is trying to offend us. Somehow it gives an importance where
        there had been none. We have the uncanny knack of building a sad story
        with such realism that it makes us think we are more important than we
        are. It is not enjoyable to be the kind of person who wants to
        misunderstand - not only other people, but also life itself. It is
        painful to be unhappy and disagreeable, but some cannot resist the
        temptation.
        ~ It has come to me through the bushes that you are not united
        (agreeable); come to me when you are united. ~
        BIG BEAR
        "...the greatest strength is in gentleness."
        --Leon Shenandoah, ONONDAGA
        Our Elders have taught us many lessons about becoming a Warrior and how
        to think and act like one. We have been told about the power of
        gentleness. We have been told about the power of the stillness. Physical
        power is about effort. Mental power is the opposite. It's about being
        effortless or less any effort. Gentleness is one of the greatest
        attributes of the Warrior and one of the greatest mental powers. It
        takes a lot of love to be gentle. Gentleness is not an ego word.
        Gentleness is the weapon of the Great Spirit.
        My Creator,
        today I will be gentle
        with myself
        and with others.