Daily Meditation~~~~>

    Message 1 of 130 , Jun 19, 2003
      From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Thu, Jun 19, 2003, 9:49am To:
      [openfires] June 19 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
      openfires@yahoogroups.com
      Why is it that the things we love can cause us so much pain, and perhaps
      without realizing it? Why is it that we find so much to worry about in
      all the "what ifs" that cross our minds with such persistence? What
      makes fatigue follow us through the hours and drain away precious
      strength that we need to help us in our daily routine?
      All the things that plague us daily have one common cause - fear. To
      some, fear is a constant companion. We may call it by many other names
      such as necessity, time, busy-ness, demands, but all of these can be
      forms of fear.
      Fear produces the most mental, physical, and spiritual fatigue that has
      ever overtaken humans. It rushes us so that we have accidents. It drains
      us of strength to resist illness. It tells us we cannot produce enough
      to meet the demands upon us. And it builds within our minds such dire
      images so that we cannot face the simplest.
      Fear has one antidote. It is not to stop worrying and take it easy, but
      it is faith. Adverse conditions cannot break us in the face of faith.
      Faith allows us to look fear in the eyes with such confidence that it
      loses its power over us.
      English divine, Frederick William Robertson, wrote, "To believe is
      strong. Doubt cramps energy. Belief is power."
      June 19 - Daily Feast
      Some of us have kindred souls that understand what we feel, what we
      think, and what we need. These special people seldom bother with a lot
      of talk - but their quiet companionship is balm to the spirit and enough
      without words. Wherever we are on the pathway - the Cherokee calls it ga
      lo hi s di - one of these special persons has known loneliness, felt the
      solitary hours, heard the empty echoes, and is there to mark the way for
      us. We are assured of company, told that we will make it - that we are
      almost there now. Suddenly there is a corner to turn, a light to shine,
      hope and a hand to support us. Then, in quiet communication, we reach
      back and take someone else's hand.
      ~ They were kind to me, those old men, when I was working hard to learn
      from them these sacred songs. ~
      PLAYFUL CALF
      Elder's Meditation of the Day June 19
      "Respect should be given those indigenous nations who still carry on
      their ceremonies; still following the ancient laws of nature with songs
      and ceremonies."
      --Oren R. Lyons, Spokesman, Traditional Circle of Elders
      Many of our Tribes still have the ceremonies, songs and traditions.
      Today, the ceremonies and songs are coming back even stronger. The
      Elders have a lot of this knowledge. The young people need to learn
      these songs and traditions from the Elders. This is the strength of the
      people. The ancient Wisdom and Knowledge of ancient Laws are hidden in
      the ceremonies and songs. We should seek out these songs and ceremonies.
      Great Spirit,
      teach me
      the songs
      and ceremonies.
      Make my eyes
      open
      to see.
      Message 130 of 130 , Jul 23, 2003
        From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Wed, Jul 23, 2003, 9:08am To:
        [Tradition_OF_The_Redroad] July 23 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
        How weak-willed we are at times when we've made a decision and know we
        must stand on it. It is so much easier to give in to the easy way of
        doing things.
        We are almost a "house divided against itself," and the strain of
        staying with a decision seems almost our enemy. But we never gain much
        stature by giving in to ourselves against our better judgement. And we
        never get anywhere by scattering our efforts.
        Making a decision is difficult enough without losing one's determination
        in following through. Laying down the responsibility is someone like
        warning children to behave themselves and then permitting them to
        continue to misbehave.
        How long has it been since you've proven to yourself that you mean
        business in carrying out a plan?
        A man of wisdom has written that we have firmness of character when we
        have the ability to say "no" to the wrong as well as to those things
        which are good but stand in the way of our progress.
        Always remember that to want something that is good and right is the
        blessing. God gave us that ability to desire or we would never have
        thought of using it. But God also gave us the ability to cry, to feel
        pain, and the freedom to choose whether we go on or quit.
        In our lives we face many decisions. Some are hard to make because we
        know we must turn our backs upon something that seems harmless at the
        moment simply because we know it would not be good in the long run.
        But there are also decisions that are more challenge than decision. They
        are the good things that are placed before us, and our will to follow
        through is tested. When defeat seems sure, then is the time to begin to
        fight. When others are quitting, then is the time to throw more strength
        into the battle. Anything worth having is worth working for, and is of
        lasting value.
        Very often these sieges must be made silently and without seeming
        effort. And yet we know we cannot get something for nothing. We have a
        service to perform. We can make it a drudge, or we can make it a
        delightful experience, according to our faith. Be persistent. Unless you
        do not particularly want your dreams to come true, you can't afford to
        know the meaning of apathy. You must continually be on the scene with
        the muscles of your mind toned.
        It isn't difficult to have a dream. But it often ceases at that point.
        The willingness to follow through, the determination to look
        impossibilities in the eye and trudge on must be practiced before that
        dream can amount to anything.
        All along life's road there are those who would discourage you, every
        often in ignorance, not realizing the effect of their words upon you. It
        is then that you must muster the strength to believe that theirs is only
        an opinion while your plans are based on the principle that all good
        things come to those who hustle while they wait.
        It is too bad that they cannot see your invisible companions,
        persistence, faith, and a worthwhile plan. Smile and walk on.
        There is a Divine Being with whom we can place all our obstacles, all
        our doubts and fears - and then our work begins. We give lovingly of
        friendship, of any kind of help that we are capable of giving, of
        positive words and thoughts and understanding.
        Give without thought of return. For while we are giving with loving
        selflessness, life shapes for us our heart's desire.
        Much is lost through misunderstanding - and often because we want
        someone to know we are angry. We choose to think they intentionally
        displease us, though we know nothing of their circumstance of what their
        thoughts really were. It must be an ego-building thing to believe that
        someone is trying to offend us. Somehow it gives an importance where
        there had been none. We have the uncanny knack of building a sad story
        with such realism that it makes us think we are more important than we
        are. It is not enjoyable to be the kind of person who wants to
        misunderstand - not only other people, but also life itself. It is
        painful to be unhappy and disagreeable, but some cannot resist the
        temptation.
        ~ It has come to me through the bushes that you are not united
        (agreeable); come to me when you are united. ~
        BIG BEAR
        "...the greatest strength is in gentleness."
        --Leon Shenandoah, ONONDAGA
        Our Elders have taught us many lessons about becoming a Warrior and how
        to think and act like one. We have been told about the power of
        gentleness. We have been told about the power of the stillness. Physical
        power is about effort. Mental power is the opposite. It's about being
        effortless or less any effort. Gentleness is one of the greatest
        attributes of the Warrior and one of the greatest mental powers. It
        takes a lot of love to be gentle. Gentleness is not an ego word.
        Gentleness is the weapon of the Great Spirit.
        My Creator,
        today I will be gentle
        with myself
        and with others.