Daily Meditation~~~~~~>

    Message 1 of 56 , Jun 9, 2003
      From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Mon, Jun 9, 2003, 7:09am To:
      [openfires] June 9 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
      openfires@yahoogroups.com
      So often it is difficult to know where the line lies between kindness
      and domineering. It doesn't sound as if the two could possibly mix, but
      sometimes we're inclined to think it a kind of goodness when it actually
      becomes domineering.
      It is often then best of kindest think to let others think for
      themselves. Even though the helpfulness is of love, it can be smothering
      to the ones who want to breathe freely, even of their own problems.
      Concern can turn to possessiveness in the space of a moment and do it so
      suddenly it is almost impossible to comprehend. All individuals have the
      right to make their own mistakes and also the undeniable right to
      correct those mistakes. It makes help appreciated when it comes and then
      help is recognized as help and not ownership.
      If we were all told what to do, it would relieve us of the burden of the
      responsibility of thinking, planning, or making decisions. Our lives
      would be literally free of care. And there are those among us who love
      to direct the traffic of other people's lives. But have you noticed how
      detestable it is to them to have the smallest suggestion made concerning
      their own? What a display of vanity!
      There are always sycophants, or "apple polishers," if you will, who fawn
      and flatter the vanity. But to have one's vanity built to great heights
      is not always an act of love, but more often subtle scorn.
      Love is the only force against vanity. Love does not wish to command,
      but only to serve. If love cannot tell the truth it does not speak.
      vanity separates, love joins. Love does not ask that another take the
      responsibility, but it asks only the strength to bear it.
      June 9 - Daily Feast
      Near is the lion on our path. But if we turn around and face it
      straight-on, it will slink away. The sooner we learn that fear has no
      power but what we give it, the sooner we gain control of all our
      emotions. The Tsalagi may know fear, but his stoic expression will never
      reveal it. To a Cherokee, u na ye hi s di, fear or alarm, is the face of
      the enemy that tries to numb his mind and spirit to make it easier to
      conquer him. The lion's roar is silenced the minute we face it down with
      our own ga na nv di s gi, war whoop, that shows we mean business. We
      have no intention to stand still and let fear open the door to worse
      things. By the faith words of our mouths we turn away, not only the
      lion, but all it represents.
      ~ I turn with a shout that we are saved! ~
      STANDING BEAR
      Elder's Meditation of the Day June 9
      "Every part of this soil is sacred in the estimation of my people. Every
      hillside, every valley, every plain and grove, has been hallowed by some
      sad or happy event in days long vanished."
      --Chief Sealth, DUWAMISH
      Native people say the Earth is sacred. Some places on Earth will feel
      more sacred than others. You can often feel the sacredness of these
      places because of what has happened on them. If you do a ceremony on a
      certain place and return later, whatever happened before will still be
      there to help you. Even if someone you didn't know did something on the
      Earth and you come along later, the powers will be there to help you.
      This is why the Earth is sacred and these special places are sacred
      spots.
      My Creator,
      let the powers
      of the sacred places
      help the people
      today.
      Message 56 of 56 , Jul 13, 2003
        From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Sun, Jul 13, 2003, 11:02am To:
        [openfires] July 13 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
        openfires@yahoogroups.com
        What is it that keeps us from doing the creative things we want to do?
        Fear of venturing and losing, fear of the unknown? And yet, every day of
        our lives we venture and seldom acknowledge the fact that we didn't
        lose. We too often accomplish something because circumstances forced a
        courage we could not muster from mere desire.
        Frequently we must simply have the audacity to lay aside the taboos we
        have built for ourselves, for fear of appearing foolish, and follow a
        creative curiosity.
        When Robert Louis Stevenson wrote, "Give me a young man with brains
        enough to make a fool of himself," he didn't mean intentionally acting
        foolishly. He meant that a fearlessness of appearing foolish can enable
        us to step outside the realms of what others would call the limits.
        The simplest ventures often bring joy to many, particularly to those who
        in the beginning dared to stand on their own chances of winning or
        losing.
        Summer heat has brought a lull to the meadows. Tiny titmice and bright
        yellow warblers stay close to watering places, and only the locust sings
        on in its raspy tones. It sings to remind us that it is summer and time
        to slow our pace. Hay meadows are dotted with bales, and wheat and beans
        are ready for harvest. Evening is alive with the songs of meadowlarks
        and killdeer, and the mockingbird is the comic that sings in all the
        other bird's voices. It would be impossible to live among the things of
        nature and not pace oneself to them. It is the nature of the Cherokee to
        go to a flowing stream with any problem he may have. And he comes away
        with the best harvest of all, a quiet eye and the peaceful harmony of
        summer.
        ~ I have a good heart, and I want no mistake made this time, to live
        with a good heart and talk truth. ~
        CAPTAIN JACK
        "Grandfather, Great Spirit, once more behold me on earth and lean to
        hear my feeble voice. You lived first, and You are older than all need,
        older than all prayer...You are the life of all things."
        --Black Elk, OGLALA SIOUX
        Great Spirit - Sometimes I don't feel like praying. Sometimes when I
        have done something wrong, I'm ashamed to come to You. Even though You
        have always been there for me, I sometimes choose to stay away. It's
        hard for me to understand what all knowing is. Sometimes it's hard for
        me to see how much You really care. But I know if I take a few minutes
        and think about what I know to be true about You, the things change and
        I am able to realize Your power and Your love. Today, I'll start by
        thinking of You. I'll think about all the times You have helped and
        guided me in the past. You are life, You are love, You are power, You
        are desire, You are truth, Your are principle, You are intelligence, You
        are courage. With You I am everything; without You I am nothing.
        Creator,
        thank You
        for allowing me
        to start my day