Daily Meditation~~~~>

    Message 1 of 130 , Jun 3, 2003
      From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Tue, Jun 3, 2003, 9:23am To:
      [openfires] June 3 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
      openfires@yahoogroups.com
      "I owe no man anything but love" is it said. But what is love? Love is
      duty - whatever duty may require to accomplish a good thing.
      Love is peace. One must not only be peaceful but contribute to the peace
      of others. Let there be peace and let it begin with me.
      Love is sometimes pain. We must give up something that causes us pain
      because it is for the good of the greatest number.
      Love is understanding. That others do not have to forever explain their
      actions to us. That we know their reasons without being told.
      Love is courage. Courage to lead where one has the ability to lead.
      Courage to stand up for what one believes in and wants to live.
      Love is faith. Faith in God, faith in self, and faith in others.
      Everyone is not above reproach, but we must have faith that the majority
      strives to be.
      Coleridge wrote, "He prayeth best who loveth best," which seems to rule
      out all hollow and self-heard prayers. For those who truly love do not
      hear themselves only, or rule all life useless because they cannot love
      or pray.
      Life can be as simple as love and prayer. Where the two mingle there can
      be no jealousy, resentment, or fear.
      Jealousy makes us compare our lot with another's. And there can be no
      comparison, for no two people are alike.
      Resentment plunges an otherwise logical soul into despair and an endless
      journey of revenge.
      And fear rushes us headlong into situations that detract, accidents that
      could be prevented, and long delays in reaching our goals.
      But if we can, for a few moments, invite into our hearts a thing called
      love, then we can pray. And if we pray we have the source of all answers
      to our aid.
      June 3 - Daily Feast
      Big changes require many small ones. Any change seems sudden, regardless
      of how much we prepare for it. We wait for it, ask for it, expect it,
      and resent its intrusion. Change is needed to stay young and vital and
      moving. Without it we stagnate, lose our keeness of thought, and too
      often fall into melancholy. Even in the best of times change takes a
      certain amount of adjustment. Our biggest problem with change is that we
      expect it to be bad rather than something that will make us happier. To
      a tsa su ga, a flea, a dog is the whole world, says a Cherokee. As much
      as we like where we are, it isn't the whole world. There are bigger
      things - and better. We have to be able to see beyond the dog.
      ~ I have made myself what I am. ~
      TECUMSEH,  1810
      Elder's Meditation of the Day June 3
      "IN THE BEGINNING were the Instructions... The Instructions was to live
      in a good way and be respectful to everybody and everything."
      --Vickie Downey, TEWA/Tesuque Pueblo
      A long time ago, in the beginning, the Creator gave to all people and to
      all things the Wisdom and the knowledge of how to live in harmony. Some
      tribes call these teachings the original Instructions, the original
      teachings, or the Great Laws. All of Nature still lives and survives
      according to these teachings. In modern times, human beings are
      searching for the Instructions. Many churches claim they have these
      Instructions. Where are these teachings? The Instructions are written in
      our hearts.
      Great Spirit,
      today,
      whisper to me
      the secrets
      of the original
      Instructions.
      Message 130 of 130 , Jul 23, 2003
        From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Wed, Jul 23, 2003, 9:08am To:
        [Tradition_OF_The_Redroad] July 23 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
        How weak-willed we are at times when we've made a decision and know we
        must stand on it. It is so much easier to give in to the easy way of
        doing things.
        We are almost a "house divided against itself," and the strain of
        staying with a decision seems almost our enemy. But we never gain much
        stature by giving in to ourselves against our better judgement. And we
        never get anywhere by scattering our efforts.
        Making a decision is difficult enough without losing one's determination
        in following through. Laying down the responsibility is someone like
        warning children to behave themselves and then permitting them to
        continue to misbehave.
        How long has it been since you've proven to yourself that you mean
        business in carrying out a plan?
        A man of wisdom has written that we have firmness of character when we
        have the ability to say "no" to the wrong as well as to those things
        which are good but stand in the way of our progress.
        Always remember that to want something that is good and right is the
        blessing. God gave us that ability to desire or we would never have
        thought of using it. But God also gave us the ability to cry, to feel
        pain, and the freedom to choose whether we go on or quit.
        In our lives we face many decisions. Some are hard to make because we
        know we must turn our backs upon something that seems harmless at the
        moment simply because we know it would not be good in the long run.
        But there are also decisions that are more challenge than decision. They
        are the good things that are placed before us, and our will to follow
        through is tested. When defeat seems sure, then is the time to begin to
        fight. When others are quitting, then is the time to throw more strength
        into the battle. Anything worth having is worth working for, and is of
        lasting value.
        Very often these sieges must be made silently and without seeming
        effort. And yet we know we cannot get something for nothing. We have a
        service to perform. We can make it a drudge, or we can make it a
        delightful experience, according to our faith. Be persistent. Unless you
        do not particularly want your dreams to come true, you can't afford to
        know the meaning of apathy. You must continually be on the scene with
        the muscles of your mind toned.
        It isn't difficult to have a dream. But it often ceases at that point.
        The willingness to follow through, the determination to look
        impossibilities in the eye and trudge on must be practiced before that
        dream can amount to anything.
        All along life's road there are those who would discourage you, every
        often in ignorance, not realizing the effect of their words upon you. It
        is then that you must muster the strength to believe that theirs is only
        an opinion while your plans are based on the principle that all good
        things come to those who hustle while they wait.
        It is too bad that they cannot see your invisible companions,
        persistence, faith, and a worthwhile plan. Smile and walk on.
        There is a Divine Being with whom we can place all our obstacles, all
        our doubts and fears - and then our work begins. We give lovingly of
        friendship, of any kind of help that we are capable of giving, of
        positive words and thoughts and understanding.
        Give without thought of return. For while we are giving with loving
        selflessness, life shapes for us our heart's desire.
        Much is lost through misunderstanding - and often because we want
        someone to know we are angry. We choose to think they intentionally
        displease us, though we know nothing of their circumstance of what their
        thoughts really were. It must be an ego-building thing to believe that
        someone is trying to offend us. Somehow it gives an importance where
        there had been none. We have the uncanny knack of building a sad story
        with such realism that it makes us think we are more important than we
        are. It is not enjoyable to be the kind of person who wants to
        misunderstand - not only other people, but also life itself. It is
        painful to be unhappy and disagreeable, but some cannot resist the
        temptation.
        ~ It has come to me through the bushes that you are not united
        (agreeable); come to me when you are united. ~
        BIG BEAR
        "...the greatest strength is in gentleness."
        --Leon Shenandoah, ONONDAGA
        Our Elders have taught us many lessons about becoming a Warrior and how
        to think and act like one. We have been told about the power of
        gentleness. We have been told about the power of the stillness. Physical
        power is about effort. Mental power is the opposite. It's about being
        effortless or less any effort. Gentleness is one of the greatest
        attributes of the Warrior and one of the greatest mental powers. It
        takes a lot of love to be gentle. Gentleness is not an ego word.
        Gentleness is the weapon of the Great Spirit.
        My Creator,
        today I will be gentle
        with myself
        and with others.