Daily Meditation~~~~>

    Message 1 of 130 , May 31, 2003
      From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Sat, May 31, 2003, 10:11am To:
      [openfires] May 31 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
      openfires@yahoogroups.com
      Human dignity is that silent something in us that keeps us from falling
      below the level where others look down on us to make light of our very
      existence. None of us exists who cannot sense to some degree the feeling
      that others hold for us. It may create in us a "show them" attitude that
      takes us through life more successfully, but it will more likely destroy
      our desire to be anything more than what is expected of us.
      It is an appalling thing to see other impose their superiority upon the
      human dignity of those whose literacy may not be equal to their own.
      Only profound ignorance could convince anyone they have the right to see
      and idly judge another's intelligence, or to insult the dignity of any
      human being.
      The little silent people who have not yet discovered within themselves
      the abilities they need to lift themselves, still have the right and
      dignity of being human. A small amount of respect and direction might
      start them on the road to better things, though it might be all uphill.
      At least if they know it is all uphill they may work harder and reach a
      place where they can look back at those with lofty ideas about
      themselves, standing forever stagnant, and feel more compassion than
      they could ever have felt.
      May 31 - Daily Feast
      In this age of defending and demanding rights, we are often faced with
      the question of who holds us back more than anyone else....and in all
      honesty we must admit we are the ones. We narrow our vision and develop
      helpless and hopeless attitudes to defeat us. And yet, we are the ones
      who speed us on as well. Our good attitudes keep us moving and active
      and able to do everything without reacting to the smallest incident as a
      barrier in our way. We are willing to work, to initiate and set in
      motion the good of life, and do it by not stepping on others. We keep a
      constant vigil over our lo qui si, star, and reach up that we may lift
      others up with us.
      ~ Misfortunes do not flourish particularly in our path. They grow
      everywhere. ~
      BIG ELK
      Elder's Meditation of the Day May 31
      "Sell a country? Why not sell the air, the great sea, as well as the
      earth? Did not the Great Spirit make them all for the use of his
      children?"
      --Tecumseh, SHAWNEE
      The White Man's way is to possess, control and divide. It has always
      been difficult for Indian people to understand this. There are certain
      things we cannot own that must be shared. The Land is one of these
      things. We need to re-look as what we are doing to the Earth. We are
      digging in her veins and foolishly diminishing the natural resources. We
      are not living in balance. We do not own the Earth; the Earth owns us.
      Today, let us ponder the true relationship between the Earth and
      ourselves.
      Great Spirit,
      today,
      let me see
      the Earth
      as you
      would have me
      see Her.
      Message 130 of 130 , Jul 23, 2003
        From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Wed, Jul 23, 2003, 9:08am To:
        [Tradition_OF_The_Redroad] July 23 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
        How weak-willed we are at times when we've made a decision and know we
        must stand on it. It is so much easier to give in to the easy way of
        doing things.
        We are almost a "house divided against itself," and the strain of
        staying with a decision seems almost our enemy. But we never gain much
        stature by giving in to ourselves against our better judgement. And we
        never get anywhere by scattering our efforts.
        Making a decision is difficult enough without losing one's determination
        in following through. Laying down the responsibility is someone like
        warning children to behave themselves and then permitting them to
        continue to misbehave.
        How long has it been since you've proven to yourself that you mean
        business in carrying out a plan?
        A man of wisdom has written that we have firmness of character when we
        have the ability to say "no" to the wrong as well as to those things
        which are good but stand in the way of our progress.
        Always remember that to want something that is good and right is the
        blessing. God gave us that ability to desire or we would never have
        thought of using it. But God also gave us the ability to cry, to feel
        pain, and the freedom to choose whether we go on or quit.
        In our lives we face many decisions. Some are hard to make because we
        know we must turn our backs upon something that seems harmless at the
        moment simply because we know it would not be good in the long run.
        But there are also decisions that are more challenge than decision. They
        are the good things that are placed before us, and our will to follow
        through is tested. When defeat seems sure, then is the time to begin to
        fight. When others are quitting, then is the time to throw more strength
        into the battle. Anything worth having is worth working for, and is of
        lasting value.
        Very often these sieges must be made silently and without seeming
        effort. And yet we know we cannot get something for nothing. We have a
        service to perform. We can make it a drudge, or we can make it a
        delightful experience, according to our faith. Be persistent. Unless you
        do not particularly want your dreams to come true, you can't afford to
        know the meaning of apathy. You must continually be on the scene with
        the muscles of your mind toned.
        It isn't difficult to have a dream. But it often ceases at that point.
        The willingness to follow through, the determination to look
        impossibilities in the eye and trudge on must be practiced before that
        dream can amount to anything.
        All along life's road there are those who would discourage you, every
        often in ignorance, not realizing the effect of their words upon you. It
        is then that you must muster the strength to believe that theirs is only
        an opinion while your plans are based on the principle that all good
        things come to those who hustle while they wait.
        It is too bad that they cannot see your invisible companions,
        persistence, faith, and a worthwhile plan. Smile and walk on.
        There is a Divine Being with whom we can place all our obstacles, all
        our doubts and fears - and then our work begins. We give lovingly of
        friendship, of any kind of help that we are capable of giving, of
        positive words and thoughts and understanding.
        Give without thought of return. For while we are giving with loving
        selflessness, life shapes for us our heart's desire.
        Much is lost through misunderstanding - and often because we want
        someone to know we are angry. We choose to think they intentionally
        displease us, though we know nothing of their circumstance of what their
        thoughts really were. It must be an ego-building thing to believe that
        someone is trying to offend us. Somehow it gives an importance where
        there had been none. We have the uncanny knack of building a sad story
        with such realism that it makes us think we are more important than we
        are. It is not enjoyable to be the kind of person who wants to
        misunderstand - not only other people, but also life itself. It is
        painful to be unhappy and disagreeable, but some cannot resist the
        temptation.
        ~ It has come to me through the bushes that you are not united
        (agreeable); come to me when you are united. ~
        BIG BEAR
        "...the greatest strength is in gentleness."
        --Leon Shenandoah, ONONDAGA
        Our Elders have taught us many lessons about becoming a Warrior and how
        to think and act like one. We have been told about the power of
        gentleness. We have been told about the power of the stillness. Physical
        power is about effort. Mental power is the opposite. It's about being
        effortless or less any effort. Gentleness is one of the greatest
        attributes of the Warrior and one of the greatest mental powers. It
        takes a lot of love to be gentle. Gentleness is not an ego word.
        Gentleness is the weapon of the Great Spirit.
        My Creator,
        today I will be gentle
        with myself
        and with others.