Daily Meditation~~~.

    Message 1 of 5 , May 18 6:23 PM
      From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Sun, May 18, 2003, 10:00am To:
      [Tradition_OF_The_Redroad] May 18 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
      Bad feelings are burdens. When we get to the point of believing the
      whole world is sour because we don't understand it, we have a lot of
      self-searching to do. Maybe we helped it to lose its sweetness. Maybe
      we're the bad apple that soured the whole lot.
      Our first thought should be to make amends. Sometimes we can't, and when
      such is the case we need to get out of the way and let time and nature
      take its course.
      Life is too beautiful to go on being a bitter pill that insists that
      everyone swallow it. As in the words of Caleb C. Colton, an English
      clergyman around the turn of the century, "The man who has so little
      knowledge of human nature as to seek happiness by changing anything but
      his own dispositions, will waste his life in fruitless efforts, and
      multiply the grief which he proposes to remove."
      We need to unburden ourselves by forgetting our problems and doing
      something that will put a smile on someone else's face.
      The quickest way to solve the problem of hurt feelings is to inquire if
      this situation is important to the whole of existence. Does this
      particular thing mean more than any of the other things of life? It is
      amazing how quickly trials fade into nothingness when faced with this
      question. It places before us the need to decide here and now the
      meaning of our whole existence.
      There are not many things in our lives that we can truthfully say mean
      everything to us. The small things are important and very dear, but the
      really significant things we count on one hand - life, our loved ones,
      our good desires, our faith, and our nation.
      One of the most magnified situations in this day is taking life too
      seriously. In the stress of too much mental confusion we seem unable to
      laugh off so many little irritations. We let personality rule us into
      making each little problem the source of great anxiety and dramatically
      lay hold of it until it chokes us.
      The worthwhile side of this life is too important to let ourselves
      become involved with things that mean little to us. Too much of the
      trouble in the world is caused from ego-building importance that would
      never be missed in anyone's existence.
      May 18 - Daily Feast
      Have we lost control of who we are? Have we allowed ourselves to get in
      a position of little or no control - believing that we must forfeit bits
      and pieces of who we are to get along? The one weapon against us that
      has the total respect of the world is the business of weight loss. Never
      have so many fought so long to lose so little. Think of the dollar value
      put on a pound of flesh - the hype, the remorseful tears, the acceptance
      that we cannot control our eating. Though over-indulging in anything is
      dis-ease, it is not disease. It is the silent enemy, the spirit of
      destruction that the Cherokee calls u so nv i, which is not good but
      downright evil. It is the enemy with no power except subliminal
      suggestion. But enter the Great Holy Spirit, and its great roar is but a
      pipsqueak. We have to care, but we also need to know the truth to be
      free.
      ~ When the Great Father sent out men to our people, I was poor and
      thin,; now I am large and stout and fat. It is because so many liars
      have been sent.....and I have been stuffed full of their lies. ~
      RED DOG,  1870
      Elder's Meditation of the Day May 18
      "...Grandmother the Earth. That power is here all the time. It is
      continuous, and nobody controls it."
      --Wallace Black Elk, LAKOTA
      There are certain powers that the human being has no choice but to obey.
      We cannot negotiate or barter with this power. Our choice is either to
      conform or to live out of harmony. Whatever our choice, it will be the
      end result in our lives that we notice. So it is with the powers of the
      Earth which produce life. The Earth has the life force power. If anyone
      plants a seed, the seed will grow. The Earth treats everyone equally.
      The human cannot interfere, only obey. We should all show great respect
      for the Earth and Her powers.
      Great Spirit,
      today,
      let me honor
      and respect
      the power
      of the Grandmother,
      the Earth.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 9, 2003
        From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Sun, Jun 8, 2003, 1:20am To:
        [Tradition_OF_The_Redroad] June 8 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
        If everyone were alike, what a dull world this would be. It is the
        individuality of each person that makes the world so interesting.
        The tremendous differences in people give a wide range of personalities,
        beliefs, and appearances to every group, no matter how small.
        If all the flowers in the world were of one color, would we think them
        beautiful? It is the variety and wide range of rainbow colors that keeps
        us fascinated.
        Cowper wrote, "Variety is the very spice of life, that gives it all its
        flavor." So many have no thought of life except what they will east,
        what they will wear, and how they can entertain themselves. And then we
        come on someone who has the ability to see loveliness in the sunlight
        and charm in quiet rain. They can say things to encourage, to make calm
        and peaceful.
        We meet many different kinds of people. Some we love and some we like
        and love, which is a terrific difference. It is to find a wholeness or a
        part of our lost self in someone else. It isn't that they are so much
        like us or that we believe the way they do, but that they communicate,
        and it is this rare communication that respects the differences between
        peoples.
        June 8 - Daily Feast
        It is unfortunate when someone fails us, but it isn't as bad as when we
        fail ourselves. The minute we make a mistake or fall short, we begin to
        condemn ourselves. How could we have been so dumb, so inept, so
        careless? We are victims by our own mouths. It is too easy to make a
        habit of thinking we are second-rate, not quite equal to others. If we
        say it enough times, we think it, and it feeds down into our hearts to
        surface again when we don't need it. Who can love us if we do not love
        ourselves? Who will build us up if we are busy tearing us down?
        Confidence is winning over self - not others. But we have to stir up the
        gift that is within us, see that we appreciate all the small things we
        can do well. We can only be what we give ourselves power to be.
        ~ These words are mine and they are true. ~
        CHIEF MENINOCK
        Elder's Meditation of the Day June 8
        "So we are connected to the moon. That gives us power, a connection to
        the earth and the moon, men don't know about."
        --Cecilia Mitchell, MOHAWK
        The Elders tell us that the Woman has access to special powers. The
        Earth Mother gives her love in a special way to the Woman. The Moon also
        gives special powers to the Woman. She uses these powers to nurture,
        heal and guide the people.
        Great Spirit,
        today,
        give
        a special
        Blessing
        our Women.
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 6, 2003
          From:  Donna <gringa@...>
          Date:  Sun Jul 6, 2003  10:37 am
          Subject:  July 5 - Daily Meditations
          There are very few days when we have control of our time. No matter what
          our schedules may be, there is always a change taking place that keeps
          something from happening when it is supposed to happen. And when the day
          is ended and our schedules have not been met, then it begins to drag on
          our spirits.
          Soon we become so wound up in the problems of the moment that the
          delights of our souls drift away and become a part of the mist of
          "someday." Someday I will get to do what I want to do. Someday when this
          necessary work is finished - and it is possible that the things we
          believe to be so necessary are really robbers of our lives? Do we spend
          too much time with the menial tasks and allow our creativity - the
          ability to bring newness into our lives - to dry up and become
          nonexistent?
          William Blake called this within us "God." One of the greatest poets
          ever to live, he believed that if we keep alive our ability to see and
          feel the beauty of life, our menial tasks will become easy and the way
          successful.
          Yesterday is only a dream, tomorrow only a vision, but today - we live.
          If we live as we should, our yesterdays will be dreams of happiness, and
          our tomorrows will be visions of hope.
          Nothing is so sad as the man who spends all his time today judging
          tomorrow by his experiences of yesterday. He has a vision, but his faith
          does not support him to pursue it. If some great stroke of good fortune
          should overtake him, he will be all ready to go, but he doesn't really
          expect it to happen. So today he sits waiting for the world to change
          for him, never guessing that he is the one who must change.
          No one is so misled as the woman who has such a busy schedule that she
          hasn't time to listen to her children. She expects to take the time to
          play with them - someday. But it is today that the bridges must be built
          from the soul to the body to the spirit. It isn't something built from a
          quick kiss or a smart smack in the right place, but from daily communion
          and understanding.
          Today is the very life of life when the best things are nearest - breath
          in our nostrils, light in our eyes, flowers at our feet, duties at our
          hand, and the path of God before us.
          Remembering can be painful and sometimes without any real benefit. It
          keeps us feeling guilty and regretting so much that the good memories
          are washed out. It is easy enough to forget the good that happened,
          without covering the good with bad memories. No doubt, everything has
          not been ideal - but haven't we given enough thought to the unhappy
          times? It doesn't do any good to ruin the present time recalling what
          went wrong in the past. But we can begin to change. Maybe only a little
          at first - but honest effort has always changed things for the better
          and given us self-respect as well. Time grows more and more precious and
          what we do with it at this moment makes or breaks today and all our
          tomorrows.
          ~ We are not afraid to work and we are not afraid to do right. ~
          TOOKLANNI
          "It does not require many words to speak the truth."
          --Chief Joseph, NEZ PERCE
          The truth shall set you free. This is the truth. When we speak the
          Truth, we do not need to be defensive. Truth needs no defense. When we
          speak the Truth, we do not need to attack because Truth cannot be
          attacked. It is so easy to want to manipulate or to be deceitful or
          dishonest. My head tells me I can get away with doing these things,
          after all everybody does it.
          My Creator,
          today let me know Truth.
          Let me live Truth.
          Let me risk the Truth.
          Let me make the Truth sweet.
          Help me to make my word good.
          Let Your spirit and intent be added to by words.
          Let My thoughts be Truth.
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 24, 2003
            From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Thu, Jul 24, 2003, 1:13am To:
            [openfires] July 24 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
            openfires@yahoogroups.com
            At night sometimes the world seems so topsy-turvy and you're so weary of
            doing things the same old way. Then nothing seems to please....You try
            desperately for something new and different, something that doesn't seem
            so much like you. Why? Tonight you are different.
            One cannot expect the world to be top side up all the time. Such
            perfection does not come so easily to human nature. And always there is
            a search for something new and different. A change of pace....that
            thought that I don't want to be me today, to think my thoughts and do my
            daily chores. I want to make a complete change now, to know a whole new
            way of life. And it is good to leave behind the many daily situations
            that sometimes stand too closely to be seen clearly, but to be wise
            enough to know which things should be left behind.
            There have been clean sweeps that have left behind the dearest
            things....and have taken along the same dreary, dark unhappy things of
            the mind that should have been left behind.
            A line from the prayer of serenity is "The wisdom to know the
            difference...." And wisdom, says Samuel Taylor Coleridge, is common
            sense in an uncommon degree. If one has the wisdom to wait a bit, wait
            until morning - or several mornings - that uncommon degree of common
            sense will give us the wisdom to know the difference.
            How like moths we are when we are caught in the dark, beating our wings
            against anything that stands between us and the light. Though we strain
            against barriers, we are the a tsv s dv, we are the light or candle that
            lights the place where we are. Others who follow watch for a signal, a
            light in the dark, to know they are not alone. We need to take some time
            to be quiet, to recharge and it may mean waiting a while in the dark.
            But whatever our need, if we wait, the light will come. And it will
            illuminate us instead of blinding us with its glare.
            ~ The path to glory is rough and many gloomy hours obscure it. May the
            Great Spirit shed light on yours. ~
            BLACK HAWK
            "Life is like a path...and we all have to walk the path... As we
            walk...we'll find experiences like little scraps of paper in front of us
            along the way. We must pick up those pieces of scrap paper and put them
            in our pocket... Then, one day, we will have enough scraps of papers to
            put together and see what they say... Read the information and take it
            to heart."
            --Uncle Frank Davis (quoting his mother), PAWNEE
            The Creator designed us to learn by trial and error. The path of life we
            walk is very wide. Everything on the path is sacred - what we do right
            is sacred - but our mistakes are also sacred. This is the Creator's way
            of teaching spiritual people. To criticize ourselves when we make
            mistakes is not part of the spiritual path. To criticize mistakes is not
            the Indian way. To learn from our mistakes is the Indian way. The
            definition of a spiritual person is someone who makes 30-50 mistakes
            each day and talks to the Creator after each one to see what to do next
            time. This is the way of the Warrior.
            Today
            let me see my mistakes
            as a positive process.