Daily Meditation~~~~>

    Message 1 of 130 , Apr 1 7:07 AM
      A new galaxy of shining promises made to oneself are resolutions made
      with the utmost faith that self is listening and will carry out the
      plans.
      But self is as unpredictable as a child playing in the street; it may
      dart in any direction, according to the mood and to whatever catches its
      attention. At the first signs of a challenge, self may race back and
      lean hard upon the old ways of doing things, no matter how wrong it
      might be. Resolutions do very little to change a way of living. They are
      easily made and easily forgotten. There may be a sincere desire to keep
      a resolution, but if self has not changed inwardly, little can depend on
      the outward change.
      It is said that we promise according to our hopes and perform according
      to our selfishness. Failure to keep our promises to others is a
      disappointment, but failure within oneself is disaster.
      A little performance is worth a host of promises on any day that starts
      a new year.
      Tsi law'nee
      Flower Month
      It seems to me that the rulers of the Cherokees have sufficient
      intelligence to see the utter imbecility of placing any further reliance
      upon the Supreme Court....
      Governor Wilson Lumpkin
      Georgia, 1831
      April 1 - Daily Feast
      In ages past, our old ones were the story-tellers. This was the way
      things were passed along to the generations that followed. For this
      reason the aged people made it a point to remember every detail so they
      could relate it at a later time. They were the word and picture carriers
      making history and spiritual values alive and important. In recent times
      we have made our old ones think they are not so important. We spoof
      their stories and make them feel foolish. The truth is that we are
      ignorant of what is precious and how to a da li he li tse di -
      appreciate age. Rigidity can creep in and set even the young mind if
      there are no soft memories, no laughter, no times too deep for tears.
      Age is grace - a time too valuable to waste.
      ~ We can get over being poor, but it takes longer to get over being
      ignorant. ~
      JANE SEQUICHIE HIFLER
      Elder's Meditation of the Day - April 1
      "People think other things are more important than prayer, but they are
      mistaken."
      --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
      An Elder once said the most important thing you can do in the course of
      a day is to pray. If we get up late or oversleep, which is more
      important? Rush to work without praying or pray first and then go to
      work? The Elders say it's more important to pray. If we get angry,
      should we act on our anger or should we pray first? The Elders say it's
      more important to pray first. If, during the day, we face indecision,
      what should we do? PRAY. If, during the day, we become irritated or we
      experience fear, what should we do first? PRAY. The Warrior who prays
      first will lead a different life from those who pray last.
      Great Spirit,
      teach me to
      pray first!
      Message 130 of 130 , Jul 23, 2003
        From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Wed, Jul 23, 2003, 9:08am To:
        [Tradition_OF_The_Redroad] July 23 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
        How weak-willed we are at times when we've made a decision and know we
        must stand on it. It is so much easier to give in to the easy way of
        doing things.
        We are almost a "house divided against itself," and the strain of
        staying with a decision seems almost our enemy. But we never gain much
        stature by giving in to ourselves against our better judgement. And we
        never get anywhere by scattering our efforts.
        Making a decision is difficult enough without losing one's determination
        in following through. Laying down the responsibility is someone like
        warning children to behave themselves and then permitting them to
        continue to misbehave.
        How long has it been since you've proven to yourself that you mean
        business in carrying out a plan?
        A man of wisdom has written that we have firmness of character when we
        have the ability to say "no" to the wrong as well as to those things
        which are good but stand in the way of our progress.
        Always remember that to want something that is good and right is the
        blessing. God gave us that ability to desire or we would never have
        thought of using it. But God also gave us the ability to cry, to feel
        pain, and the freedom to choose whether we go on or quit.
        In our lives we face many decisions. Some are hard to make because we
        know we must turn our backs upon something that seems harmless at the
        moment simply because we know it would not be good in the long run.
        But there are also decisions that are more challenge than decision. They
        are the good things that are placed before us, and our will to follow
        through is tested. When defeat seems sure, then is the time to begin to
        fight. When others are quitting, then is the time to throw more strength
        into the battle. Anything worth having is worth working for, and is of
        lasting value.
        Very often these sieges must be made silently and without seeming
        effort. And yet we know we cannot get something for nothing. We have a
        service to perform. We can make it a drudge, or we can make it a
        delightful experience, according to our faith. Be persistent. Unless you
        do not particularly want your dreams to come true, you can't afford to
        know the meaning of apathy. You must continually be on the scene with
        the muscles of your mind toned.
        It isn't difficult to have a dream. But it often ceases at that point.
        The willingness to follow through, the determination to look
        impossibilities in the eye and trudge on must be practiced before that
        dream can amount to anything.
        All along life's road there are those who would discourage you, every
        often in ignorance, not realizing the effect of their words upon you. It
        is then that you must muster the strength to believe that theirs is only
        an opinion while your plans are based on the principle that all good
        things come to those who hustle while they wait.
        It is too bad that they cannot see your invisible companions,
        persistence, faith, and a worthwhile plan. Smile and walk on.
        There is a Divine Being with whom we can place all our obstacles, all
        our doubts and fears - and then our work begins. We give lovingly of
        friendship, of any kind of help that we are capable of giving, of
        positive words and thoughts and understanding.
        Give without thought of return. For while we are giving with loving
        selflessness, life shapes for us our heart's desire.
        Much is lost through misunderstanding - and often because we want
        someone to know we are angry. We choose to think they intentionally
        displease us, though we know nothing of their circumstance of what their
        thoughts really were. It must be an ego-building thing to believe that
        someone is trying to offend us. Somehow it gives an importance where
        there had been none. We have the uncanny knack of building a sad story
        with such realism that it makes us think we are more important than we
        are. It is not enjoyable to be the kind of person who wants to
        misunderstand - not only other people, but also life itself. It is
        painful to be unhappy and disagreeable, but some cannot resist the
        temptation.
        ~ It has come to me through the bushes that you are not united
        (agreeable); come to me when you are united. ~
        BIG BEAR
        "...the greatest strength is in gentleness."
        --Leon Shenandoah, ONONDAGA
        Our Elders have taught us many lessons about becoming a Warrior and how
        to think and act like one. We have been told about the power of
        gentleness. We have been told about the power of the stillness. Physical
        power is about effort. Mental power is the opposite. It's about being
        effortless or less any effort. Gentleness is one of the greatest
        attributes of the Warrior and one of the greatest mental powers. It
        takes a lot of love to be gentle. Gentleness is not an ego word.
        Gentleness is the weapon of the Great Spirit.
        My Creator,
        today I will be gentle
        with myself
        and with others.