Daily Meditation~~~~>

    Message 1 of 130 , Mar 18, 2003
      "There is no royal road to anything - One thing at a time, and all
      things in succession. That which grows slowly endures."
      - J.G. Holland
      The first lesson we have to learn is that instant success in anything is
      a fantasy. The overnight success stories we hear about are really
      products of much preparation.
      If we could view a life laid out before us, we could see it is much like
      a hand sewn quilt, built of many tiny pieces, colors of every hue,
      fabrics of every kind, and patiently joined together by tiny stitches to
      give many years of service. Maybe we missed a stitch someplace and it
      caused a weak place, but the strength of many other stitches will carry
      it through. Finally a complete quilt has been created and it is strong
      and lasting.
      When we truly want to move ahead we build our lives a quilt block at a
      time, patiently adding to another part of life until we have the
      strength and courage to endure.
      Take one step at a time, but take it positively forward! The patience
      will be rewarded. To have a dream come true we must first have a dream.
      Don't look back. The past is gone, but the future is still in our hands.
      March 18 - Daily Feast
      Other people have so much happen in their lives before we get to know
      them that we don't always know how to meet their needs. If they have
      been hurt, they may box themselves in and our reach is not long enough.
      But we cannot go back and make up for what someone else has done. All of
      us have come to the present with some memory, some experience, that has
      affected us negatively. It would be hard to live in a world of hurt and
      not be touched by it. But the Cherokee knows that change can take place
      suddenly to heal life. A Seneca chief had been sick a long time, but he
      was visited in his dreams by three supernatural beings sent by the Great
      Spirit, and rose up cured to teach the good message given him by the
      Master of Life. His people thrived and flourished and developed gifts.
      So can we. When we seek we find. And it may be by helping others.
      ~ We were a lawless people, but we were on pretty good terms with the
      Great Spirit. ~
      WALKING BUFFALO
      Elder's Meditation of the Day - March 18
      "The sacred fire used to heat the rocks represents the eternal fire that
      burns at the center of the universe."
      --Dr. A.C. Ross (Ehanamani), LAKOTA
      Our Sweat Lodge represents the womb of Mother Earth. This is the place
      of forgiveness. The altar is the place where the Grandfathers are
      heated. The Sweat Lodge and the altar represent the whole story of the
      universe. The Sweat Lodge and the ceremonies are sacred. The Great
      Spirit gave these things to us to help us. He taught us to do the
      ceremonies in harmony with Mother Earth. We need to know and understand
      these things.
      Great Spirit,
      let me understand
      harmony.
      Message 130 of 130 , Jul 23 11:45 AM
        From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Wed, Jul 23, 2003, 9:08am To:
        [Tradition_OF_The_Redroad] July 23 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
        How weak-willed we are at times when we've made a decision and know we
        must stand on it. It is so much easier to give in to the easy way of
        doing things.
        We are almost a "house divided against itself," and the strain of
        staying with a decision seems almost our enemy. But we never gain much
        stature by giving in to ourselves against our better judgement. And we
        never get anywhere by scattering our efforts.
        Making a decision is difficult enough without losing one's determination
        in following through. Laying down the responsibility is someone like
        warning children to behave themselves and then permitting them to
        continue to misbehave.
        How long has it been since you've proven to yourself that you mean
        business in carrying out a plan?
        A man of wisdom has written that we have firmness of character when we
        have the ability to say "no" to the wrong as well as to those things
        which are good but stand in the way of our progress.
        Always remember that to want something that is good and right is the
        blessing. God gave us that ability to desire or we would never have
        thought of using it. But God also gave us the ability to cry, to feel
        pain, and the freedom to choose whether we go on or quit.
        In our lives we face many decisions. Some are hard to make because we
        know we must turn our backs upon something that seems harmless at the
        moment simply because we know it would not be good in the long run.
        But there are also decisions that are more challenge than decision. They
        are the good things that are placed before us, and our will to follow
        through is tested. When defeat seems sure, then is the time to begin to
        fight. When others are quitting, then is the time to throw more strength
        into the battle. Anything worth having is worth working for, and is of
        lasting value.
        Very often these sieges must be made silently and without seeming
        effort. And yet we know we cannot get something for nothing. We have a
        service to perform. We can make it a drudge, or we can make it a
        delightful experience, according to our faith. Be persistent. Unless you
        do not particularly want your dreams to come true, you can't afford to
        know the meaning of apathy. You must continually be on the scene with
        the muscles of your mind toned.
        It isn't difficult to have a dream. But it often ceases at that point.
        The willingness to follow through, the determination to look
        impossibilities in the eye and trudge on must be practiced before that
        dream can amount to anything.
        All along life's road there are those who would discourage you, every
        often in ignorance, not realizing the effect of their words upon you. It
        is then that you must muster the strength to believe that theirs is only
        an opinion while your plans are based on the principle that all good
        things come to those who hustle while they wait.
        It is too bad that they cannot see your invisible companions,
        persistence, faith, and a worthwhile plan. Smile and walk on.
        There is a Divine Being with whom we can place all our obstacles, all
        our doubts and fears - and then our work begins. We give lovingly of
        friendship, of any kind of help that we are capable of giving, of
        positive words and thoughts and understanding.
        Give without thought of return. For while we are giving with loving
        selflessness, life shapes for us our heart's desire.
        Much is lost through misunderstanding - and often because we want
        someone to know we are angry. We choose to think they intentionally
        displease us, though we know nothing of their circumstance of what their
        thoughts really were. It must be an ego-building thing to believe that
        someone is trying to offend us. Somehow it gives an importance where
        there had been none. We have the uncanny knack of building a sad story
        with such realism that it makes us think we are more important than we
        are. It is not enjoyable to be the kind of person who wants to
        misunderstand - not only other people, but also life itself. It is
        painful to be unhappy and disagreeable, but some cannot resist the
        temptation.
        ~ It has come to me through the bushes that you are not united
        (agreeable); come to me when you are united. ~
        BIG BEAR
        "...the greatest strength is in gentleness."
        --Leon Shenandoah, ONONDAGA
        Our Elders have taught us many lessons about becoming a Warrior and how
        to think and act like one. We have been told about the power of
        gentleness. We have been told about the power of the stillness. Physical
        power is about effort. Mental power is the opposite. It's about being
        effortless or less any effort. Gentleness is one of the greatest
        attributes of the Warrior and one of the greatest mental powers. It
        takes a lot of love to be gentle. Gentleness is not an ego word.
        Gentleness is the weapon of the Great Spirit.
        My Creator,
        today I will be gentle
        with myself
        and with others.