Daily Meditation~~~~>

    Message 1 of 130 , Mar 6, 2003
      Permission to post her messages was graciously given to Donna by Joyce
      Sequichie Hifler.(Thank you Donna)
      So you missed an opportunity! And they say that opportunity knocks only
      once - but, only if you believe it! Opportunity has been known to pound
      on the door and go unnoticed, and it has been known to whisper and be
      heard. It is all according to how hard we require opportunity to knock
      before we recognize it.
      Our awareness of opportunity will reveal to us how many times it
      presents itself; so subtle, it may not be recognized by the casual eye.
      And usually it seems to be completely unprofitable to us personally.
      More often than not it is service to others without thought of return.
      It is humility, a willingness to accept the most humble beginnings. It
      is joy in finding communication with others and finding a kinship with
      them.
      Have you heard of an opportunity fund? Some call it saving for a rainy
      day. Rainy days can be lovely, too. A rainy day can be an opportunity to
      get things done. But an opportunity can be any day, rain or shine.
      Do you often have the opportunity to speak to your neighbor? It seems to
      happen too infrequently these days.
      The most fun we can have comes when we've the opportunity to squelch an
      ugly rumor. You know, "curst be the tongue whence slanderous rumor,
      withering friendship's faith...." Sometimes a little friendship does
      wither, but if it really amounts to anything it will survive.
      What a splendid opportunity to sit quietly and mentally forgive with
      such depth and joy as to start life anew. There is no greater blessing,
      no greater opportunity fund.
      American editor A.E. Dunning writes, "Great opportunity come to all, but
      many do not know they have met them. The only preparation to take
      advantage of them, is simple fidelity to what each day brings."
      A missed opportunity may well be another opportunity to prepare for a
      bigger and better one!
      March 5 - Daily Feast
      It is sad when our children have not been able to reply on us to build
      their self-esteem. The Cherokees call it qa lv quo di. Even those of us
      that have come a long way have memories that need a loving touch.
      Parents teach only what they know to teach. But we are not set forever
      in one direction. We reach an age when we must teach ourselves. We learn
      to forgive and to understand that when we get to the fork in the road we
      will know the right way. Why go the wrong way because someone before us
      did? If our self-esteem has been damaged, feeding it more pity and more
      ill-treatment is not healing it. Criticism is passed to us the same way
      blue eyes and dark hair are inherited. But criticism can be changed and
      replaced with love. This is a decision that changes our lives - and
      those who follow as well.
      ~ Civilized people depend too much on man-made printed pages. I turn to
      the Great Spirit's book which is the whole of his creation. ~
      TATNGA MANI
      Elder's Meditation of the Day - March 5
      "I have always searched for my place and my people."
      --Wendy Rose, HOPI/MIWOK
      For every human being to feel connected, we must have the feeling of
      belonging. That is one of the values and benefits of a culture: it
      creates the feeling of belonging. If for some reason, while you were
      growing up, you did not develop the feeling of belonging, a search will
      be triggered and a restlessness will be present in your heart. You will
      have a hole inside you, something missing, until you find your place and
      your people. Remember, we can get this feeling of belonging when we
      realize we belong to the Great Spirit and that He really loves us a lot.
      My Creator,
      today, I belong
      to You. Let me
      feel Your presence.
      Thank You.
      Message 130 of 130 , Jul 23, 2003
        From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Wed, Jul 23, 2003, 9:08am To:
        [Tradition_OF_The_Redroad] July 23 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
        How weak-willed we are at times when we've made a decision and know we
        must stand on it. It is so much easier to give in to the easy way of
        doing things.
        We are almost a "house divided against itself," and the strain of
        staying with a decision seems almost our enemy. But we never gain much
        stature by giving in to ourselves against our better judgement. And we
        never get anywhere by scattering our efforts.
        Making a decision is difficult enough without losing one's determination
        in following through. Laying down the responsibility is someone like
        warning children to behave themselves and then permitting them to
        continue to misbehave.
        How long has it been since you've proven to yourself that you mean
        business in carrying out a plan?
        A man of wisdom has written that we have firmness of character when we
        have the ability to say "no" to the wrong as well as to those things
        which are good but stand in the way of our progress.
        Always remember that to want something that is good and right is the
        blessing. God gave us that ability to desire or we would never have
        thought of using it. But God also gave us the ability to cry, to feel
        pain, and the freedom to choose whether we go on or quit.
        In our lives we face many decisions. Some are hard to make because we
        know we must turn our backs upon something that seems harmless at the
        moment simply because we know it would not be good in the long run.
        But there are also decisions that are more challenge than decision. They
        are the good things that are placed before us, and our will to follow
        through is tested. When defeat seems sure, then is the time to begin to
        fight. When others are quitting, then is the time to throw more strength
        into the battle. Anything worth having is worth working for, and is of
        lasting value.
        Very often these sieges must be made silently and without seeming
        effort. And yet we know we cannot get something for nothing. We have a
        service to perform. We can make it a drudge, or we can make it a
        delightful experience, according to our faith. Be persistent. Unless you
        do not particularly want your dreams to come true, you can't afford to
        know the meaning of apathy. You must continually be on the scene with
        the muscles of your mind toned.
        It isn't difficult to have a dream. But it often ceases at that point.
        The willingness to follow through, the determination to look
        impossibilities in the eye and trudge on must be practiced before that
        dream can amount to anything.
        All along life's road there are those who would discourage you, every
        often in ignorance, not realizing the effect of their words upon you. It
        is then that you must muster the strength to believe that theirs is only
        an opinion while your plans are based on the principle that all good
        things come to those who hustle while they wait.
        It is too bad that they cannot see your invisible companions,
        persistence, faith, and a worthwhile plan. Smile and walk on.
        There is a Divine Being with whom we can place all our obstacles, all
        our doubts and fears - and then our work begins. We give lovingly of
        friendship, of any kind of help that we are capable of giving, of
        positive words and thoughts and understanding.
        Give without thought of return. For while we are giving with loving
        selflessness, life shapes for us our heart's desire.
        Much is lost through misunderstanding - and often because we want
        someone to know we are angry. We choose to think they intentionally
        displease us, though we know nothing of their circumstance of what their
        thoughts really were. It must be an ego-building thing to believe that
        someone is trying to offend us. Somehow it gives an importance where
        there had been none. We have the uncanny knack of building a sad story
        with such realism that it makes us think we are more important than we
        are. It is not enjoyable to be the kind of person who wants to
        misunderstand - not only other people, but also life itself. It is
        painful to be unhappy and disagreeable, but some cannot resist the
        temptation.
        ~ It has come to me through the bushes that you are not united
        (agreeable); come to me when you are united. ~
        BIG BEAR
        "...the greatest strength is in gentleness."
        --Leon Shenandoah, ONONDAGA
        Our Elders have taught us many lessons about becoming a Warrior and how
        to think and act like one. We have been told about the power of
        gentleness. We have been told about the power of the stillness. Physical
        power is about effort. Mental power is the opposite. It's about being
        effortless or less any effort. Gentleness is one of the greatest
        attributes of the Warrior and one of the greatest mental powers. It
        takes a lot of love to be gentle. Gentleness is not an ego word.
        Gentleness is the weapon of the Great Spirit.
        My Creator,
        today I will be gentle
        with myself
        and with others.