ECTV/Breaking News - Sometimes We Have To Eat A Little Crow; Comet 'C/2002 V1' Facts

  • Mitch Battros
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2003
      Sometimes We Have To Eat A Little Crow; Comet 'C/2002 V1' Facts...02/28/03
      by Mitch Battros (ECTV)

      I have just completed my interview on our ECTV "Live" Radio Hour with Dr. Tom Van Flandern. Dr. Van Flandern spent 20 years at the U.S. Naval Observatory, where he became the Chief of the Celestial Mechanics Branch. He is also a NASA astronomer and consultant. It was not far into the interview when I realized I had been duped. Now having learned the facts, I will be the first to admit it. I believe it is more important to publish the facts, then to save my little hurt pride.

      But wait, there is more. It appears NASA themselves were caught off guard as well. Nasa appears to be just as anxious for publicity as any other news agency. They may have been a little to anxious getting the story out (just I as was guilty of), prior to closer examination.

      This is what we think happened...it is extremely possible a grad-student or apprentice inside Nasa were practicing their new found imaging skills on a 'not so unusual' comet. This comet just happened to be named "C/2002 V1". The photo's and trajectory of comet C/2002 V1 are real and original. What our friendly Nasa grad-student or apprentice did, was super-impose the imaging to highlight the comet and its path. It would be as if you took a snap shot of any item with a background, then pulled the item away from the background so it would be larger and easily noticed.

      It was the same as if you put your hand out at arms length with any background such as a colored wall; then bring your hand towards your face. Try this right now to get a quick understanding. The size of your hand never changes, but it looks ten times larger the closer you bring it towards your face. This is what in fact happened. This incident may very well have been an innocent act. Or, it could have been a grave joke on Nasa, me, and everyone else.

      The idea of grad-students might explain the upside-down and the wrong year on the second photo. What is a bit unsettling, is the fact Nasa themselves bought off on it. The photos I have shown you are indeed authentic and from Nasa. What happened next, were eager reporters and inside Nasa public relation employees who saw this image and jumped all over it. Guilty!!! :-)

      Here are the links which clearly show they originated from Nasa itself.

      Photo 1: http://science.nasa.gov/spaceweather/swpod2003/21feb03/soho1.gif
      Photo 2: http://soho.nascom.nasa.gov/hotshots/2003_02_12/C2002_v1.gif

      Well what about the CME? This too, is real and original. However, the distance between the Sun and the comet  is vast. It is quite possible the two are unrelated. It is also possible, they are. What one has to consider is the distance. It is nowhere near what it seems in the photo.

      Here are the facts: Comet C/2002 V1

      The size of the nucleus (the solid center of the comet) is approximately 0.5 to 0.7 kilometers. 1 kilometer = 0.6 miles
      The size of the coma (this is the glowing snowball) is indeed the size of two Jupiter's. Approximately 293,000 kilometers or 176,000 miles in diameter. All in all, this was just another near miss comet we have seen almost 500 times from the view of the SOHO satellite.

      If this was the I Love Lucy show, I would say to Nasa "Luucccy, (Naaassssa)  you have lotof esplaining to do". The taste of Crow feathers might go better with a little mud pie!

      Thought For The Day

      "When NASA was preparing for the Apollo Project, it took the astronauts to a Navajo reservation in Arizona for training.

      One day, a Navajo elder and his son came across the space crew walking among the rocks. The elder, who spoke only Navajo, asked a question. His son translated for the NASA people: "What are these guys in the big suits doing?"

      One of the astronauts said that they were practicing for a trip to the moon. When his son relayed this comment the Navajo elder got all excited and asked if it would be possible to give to the astronauts a message to deliver to the moon.

      Recognizing a promotional opportunity when he saw one, a NASA official accompanying the astronauts said, "Why certainly!" and told an underling to get a tape recorder. The Navajo elder's comments into the microphone were brief.

      The NASA official asked the son if he would translate what his father had said. The son listened to the recording and laughed uproariously. But he refused to translate. So the NASA people took the tape to a nearbyNavajo village and played it for other members of the tribe. They too laughed long and loudly but also refused to translate the elder's message to the moon.

      Finally, an official government translator was summoned. After he finally stopped laughing the translator relayed the message: "Watch out for these assholes - they have come to steal your land."

                                                              Sent in by: William <Wcstll@...>

      A Reminder: There is still a few days left to take advantage of ECTV's 2 for 1 special. Until the end of February, you will
      receive 2 years for the price of 1. You won't regret gaining full access to the number one rated website in Earth Science and
      Space Weather. Join Today... http://www.earthchangestv.com/subscribe.htm

      About Mitch: http://www.earthchangestv.com/mitch/index.htm

      Survival Tips:  http://www.earthchangestv.com/survival/index.htm

      Receive Your "Free" ECTV Newsletter: http://www.earthchangestv.com/newsletter.htm