Daily Meditation~~>

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 14, 2003
      Happy Birthday Leanne (mi hermana)!
      Available online! 'Cherokee Feast of Days Volume III' Permission to post
      her messages was graciously given to me by Joyce Sequichie Hifler.
      Courage must have its everyday face. We can't preserve it just for
      special occasions. We must have courage when we are disappointed,
      because disappointment is a robber of reason and faith, and even
      dignity. We must remember that whatever we have to meet there is
      something within us to help us meet it. But it is like a vein of rich
      ore. We must tap it, know what it is, and turn it into a finished
      product that will serve a purpose.
      Every day we must have courage to forgive. The adamant we shall always
      face, but to forgive is to disarm. To forgive is to release and to
      release is to remove the graceless things that make it necessary to
      forgive.
      A little common, everyday courage can give a life so much more to live
      for and to find contentment in the knowledge that today I did not give
      in to the smaller self. And I can draw on the strength from One who bore
      personal suffering with supreme courage.
      A comforting adage is that it is always darkest just before the dawn.
      The darkest of fear and worry and misunderstanding can last only so
      long, and then the light of dawn breaks through to show everything in
      its true perspective.
      To someone who is troubled, the darkness holds only the most frightening
      difficulties. This kind of night seems to have no end, but given a
      little time it will pass, as will our problems. The very fact that we
      are not alone should give some comfort, for no matter what we are
      experiencing someone else has been there too. We must not delude
      ourselves with notions that we are meant to be cross-bearers forever.
      And frequently, they are much better people who emerge from their own
      night to remember that it is as important to have faith in the dark as
      it is easy to have faith in the sunshine.
      February 13 - Daily Feast
      Once a person gets despair out of the way, few things can slow his
      progress. Despair is the dividing line between those who can take
      impossibility in stride and those who wilt at the first sign of
      opposition. Too much energy is absorbed in despair. Strength gives way
      to weakness and weakness robs us of the will to overcome. Anything that
      wastes energy should be left behind. Energy cuts doubt to the bone. When
      a word of power is spoken, new strength is generated. Power words are
      not just u wo du hi, pretty words, but strong words of courage that are
      heard in the ear and then in the heart where they stay to do a perfect
      work.
      ~ This is a serious time with you. May the Lord bring you out of all
      your troubles. Trust your course with Him. ~ CHIEF JOHN ROSS
      products from their website: http://www.whitebison.org Elder's
      Meditation of the Day - February 13 "I wanted to feel, smell, hear and
      see, but not see with my eyes and my mind only. I wanted to see with
      CANTE ISTA-the eye of the heart." --Lame Deer, LAKOTA
      Why is it what some people seem to have peace of mind every day? How do
      some people remain so darn positive? How do you stay positive if you
      work or live in a negative environment? How is it that two people can
      observe the same difficult situation, but one person is upset about it,
      and other isn't? Two people experiencing the same situation react
      entirely different. If each morning we ask the Creator to allow us to
      see with His understanding and with His love, we will open a new way of
      "seeing". This eye of the heart is a free gift given to us if we ask for
      it in prayer each day.
      Grandfather,
      allow me to see
      the world and
      all things You
      have made
      through "the
      eye of my
      heart."
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 29, 2003
        In this day of emphasis on right connections with the right people, in
        the right places, at the right time, we must have truly extraordinary
        qualities to become successes on our own.
        They who have worked hard and achieved success often carry a double
        burden by wrongful accusations of being privileged characters. Perhaps
        some to whom doors automatically open because of right connections seem
        to be privileged characters, but they, like dictators, have a limited
        existence.
        Having connections may help us on the ladder of life, but it will never
        keep those rungs steady beneath our feet. Only our own greatness keeps
        us tall, sun-crowned. We must have something to give, something to offer
        before we can expect to be truly privileged characters. And then, we
        will have earned the right to our privileges. We are somewhat like God,
        blamed for much we don't do and seldom given credit for the good we have
        done.
        Whatever the future, the world still needs citizens like those J.G.
        Holland wrote about nearly a century ago: "God give us men. The times
        demand strong minds, great hearts, true faith, and willing
        hands.....Tall men, sun-crowned, who live above the fog, in public duty
        and in private thinking!"
        March 28 - Daily Feast
        Few sounds in nature are harsh. Even the rolling thunder that rumbles
        across the sky has solemn beauty. The wind makes whistles in the
        treetops and wild birds warble like rivulets of water that make harps
        among the shallows.  The frenzied crash and blare come from man. The
        woods comfort with their sounds. A tiny yellow warbler with black wings
        sits in the redbud tree and makes the sound of an astral flute, a clear
        call for peace and harmony. If the bird wants a tranquil place - how
        much more we need it. A wet-weather spring feeds the ground from
        beneath, giving ferns moisture and life. In the rainy season the water
        flows and the delicate fronds mingle with the water creating a swishing
        sound. Surely we can absorb the serenity to heal and soothe our souls.
        ~ Creator of the world, Maker of all men; Lord of lords, my eyes fail
        me.....for the sole desire to know thee. ~
        INCA HYMN
        Elder's Meditation of the Day - March 28
        "Sacred sites and areas are protection for all people?the four colors
        for man?and these sites are in all areas of the earth in the four
        directions."
        --Traditional Circle of Elders, NORTHERN CHEYENNE
        The Elders say that values come from the Mother Earth. Different places
        and areas around the Earth have different values. The Water people live
        in harmony and know the values that correspond to that particular part
        of the Earth. The Desert people know the values of the desert and
        respect and live in harmony with that part of the Earth. The Woodland
        people know the values of their part of the Earth and live in harmony.
        If you live in harmony with the Earth, you will live a life that is full
        of values. We should have great respect for the Mother Earth.
        Grandfather,
        today, let me
        learn values
        from Mother
        Earth
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 5, 2003
          From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Sat, Apr 5, 2003, 10:26am To:
          [openfires] April 5 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
          openfires@yahoogroups.com
          It doesn't seem that a simple thing like going fishing could have such
          excellent results when the world suddenly seems too much. It is a very
          difficult thing to worry when your mind is fixed intently on a little
          red and white plastic float bobbing in the water.
          Just taking one's mind off the general routine of living for even a
          short time is like a much needed and appreciated vacation. We seldom
          recognize the need for getting away from the monotony of following each
          day with another day exactly like it. We lose the value of the hours and
          minutes and lump them all together and plod along expecting miracles to
          come some day and save us.
          The effort we have to give is in releasing the problem and concentrating
          on something beautifully simple and uncomplicated. Living doesn't seem
          so ominous when we can go fishing for a little peace and quiet, and
          sidetrack the things that weigh so heavily on our minds.
          Good health is such a blessing. We don't all realize how much we aid or
          harm our own health. In fact, we give much more thought to being careful
          not to get wet than being careful not to get angry. And it is said that
          anger can lower resistance to colds much quicker than getting wet.
          It is a proven fact that to feel love builds a resistance to illnesses
          while resentment and hate can destroy both mind and body.
          Longfellow once wrote that joy, temperance, and repose would slam the
          door on the doctor's nose. There's no doubt but that most doctor's noses
          are safe. But they, too, would be glad if more patients would exercise
          their abilities to lift themselves out of much of their ill health by
          knowing some measure of joy rather than self pity, some healthy thoughts
          and less thought of self.
          We lower our resistance to ill health in many ways, but none works
          against us as surely as worry, anxiety, and care, plus our inability to
          recognize the fact that we are our own greatest enemy.
          April 5 - Daily Feast
          Power of some kind affects everything we do. But this power is not
          political or electronic so that one little glitch can wipe it out in
          seconds. The real power is what the Cherokee calls adadolisdi - which is
          prayer. Quicker than lightning, it if is handled the right way it can do
          anything. Born of spirit, this power is dynamite. It does not rely on
          outside currents of energy to keep it going, but thrives on
          self-generated faith that is properly fed and well-kept. We have no idea
          how dynamic this inner power is until we begin to rely totally on things
          and people outside ourselves. It is then that we feel the lack of joy
          needed to connect us to powerful adadolisdi, the language of love and
          worship. We can overcome the impossible with fire and nettle. We can
          grow in stamina with every breath - when we learn to use the power that
          is within us.
          ~ We may quarrel with men about things on earth, but we never quarrel
          about the Great Spirit. ~
          CHIEF JOSEPH
          Elder's Meditation of the Day - April 5
          "As we plunge ahead to build empires and race for supremacy we should
          stop and listen to [the female] song of life. For without the female
          there is no life."
          Women are created with the ability to produce life. Women have a special
          tie to the Earth Mother. They have something in common. They are the
          source of life. The Earth Mother gives songs to the Woman to sing. These
          songs are about life, about beauty, about children, about love, about
          family, about strength, about caring, about nurturing, about
          forgiveness, about God. The World needs to pay attention and listen to
          Her. She knows.
          Great Spirit,
          let me listen to
          Her songs.

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 31, 2003
            From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Thu, Jul 31, 2003, 9:05am To:
            [Tradition_OF_The_Redroad] July 31 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
            In this day of emphasis on right connections with the right people, into
[...]
            Rejoice when the going gets rough, when everything turns mean. It is
            time to shout and clap our hands - if only in the privacy of our own
            minds. To rejoice in difficulty doesn't seem reasonable, because the
            natural way would be to give up and cry. But we rebound from trouble
            faster when we turn off the tears and turn on the joy. It comes from the
            inside and goes to the outside - and that is how the u hi so di, the
            spell or gloom, is broken. If we have never done it before, we need to
            learn how to think joy and act joyful, because the heart is listening -
            and it is out of the heart that all issues are settled.
            ~ I beg you now to believe that, all miserable as we seem in your eye,
            we consider ourselves nevertheless much happier than you. ~
            GASPESIAN CHIEF,  1676
            Look behind you. See your sons and your daughters. They are your future.
            Look farther and see your sons' and your daughters' children and their
            children's children even unto the Seventh Generation. That's the way we
            were taught. Think about it: you yourself are a Seventh Generation."
            --Leon Shenandoah, ONONDAGA
            The Creator designed us with a free will. That means we function from
            choices and consequences. It is important that we practice thinking
            about consequences before we make decisions about choices. Every choice
            I make is like setting up dominos one after the other that produce
            consequences. Not just for me but also for my children and for the
            children that are unborn. My choices and decision today will have
            consequences for seven generations. For example, if I work on my own
            spiritual development and I walk the Red Road, the odds are that my
            children will. They will marry and their children will follow the Red
            Road and so will my grandchildren even up to the seventh generation.
            This will happen because of the choices and decisions that I make today.
            Great Spirit,
            grant that the choices
            and decisions that I make today
            will honor