City of Tacoma Refuses Peltier March Permit

  • Arthur J. Miller
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2003
      Please post widely

      From:
      TACOMA LEONARD PELTIER SUPPORT NETWORK
      P.O. BOX 5464
      TACOMA, WA 98415-0464
      E-MAIL: bayou@...

      CITY OF TACOMA REFUSES TO ISSUE A PERMIT FOR LEONARD PELTIER MARCH

      For the past ten years the Tacoma Leonard Peltier Support Group has held a
      march and rally for justice for Leonard Peltier. The Tacoma LPSG is a part
      of a regional support network (NWLPSN), which has organized or helped
      organize 60 rallies and marches through out our region with few problems
      from city governments. We try hard to keep the focus on Leonard Peltier and
      Native issues and we have not sought to give anyone any problems.
      This year our annual Tacoma march and rally is a bit different than those
      in the past because supporters from a number of different NW cities have
      joined in the organizing for the event, thus the event has become a regional
      event. In past years we have marched on the sidewalk, but because the
      turnout will be larger this year, we applied for a permit that would let us
      march in the street. The City of Tacoma has refused to issue us a permit. We
      if cannot change that we will march on the sidewalk, (we will not allow
      anyone to change our focus from Leonard Peltier and Native issues), but we
      wish to address the reasons why the City of Tacoma refuses to issue us a
      permit because the reasons are relevant to all social activists. At this
      time there are three official reasons given to us by the City of Tacoma:
      1. Lack of payment for the police at our march. The City says that we must
      pay for all the police that come out for our march. We are not asking for
      them to come out at all, and we could never raise all the money they want.
      This we know to be unconstitutional base upon federal court rulings.
      2. The lack of an insurance bond. Again we do not have the money for this
      and again this is unconstitutional. I was involved in one case on this
      before (Steve Robideau, Terry Bear Ribs and Arthur Miller vs. The City of
      Leavenworth) and we won the case. The ruling was that it is unconstitutional
      to deny the right of freedom of assembly based upon lack of financial
      resources. They did not even tell me about needing the bond until they
      called me up to say they would not issue a permit.
      3. The lack of notifying in writing each person who is to take part in the
      march of some type of laws which they would not tell me what laws I had to
      notify people of. I asked how it was possible to notify in writing
      beforehand everyone who comes to the march?
      Again I was not told of this until I got the call today.
      What these requirements that the City of Tacoma is demanding is a clear
      statement that only rich people can have permits to march in the City of
      Tacoma! Because our marches have included Elders, Children and others who
      may not wish to confront the City Of Tacoma, if our lawyers cannot get us
      our permit, we will march on the sidewalk, which does not need a permit.
      The refusal of giving us a permit has not been the only form of official
      harassment of us. A Detective of the Intelligence Division of the Tacoma
      Police Department (Jeff Ship) contacted me. He said he was calling me about
      the traffic situation with the march. But the questions he asked me had
      nothing to do with traffic. He asked; what will the speakers speak about? (I
      just told him Native issues), He asked about members of our group (I told
      him nothing on that), He asked about if there were going to be anti-war
      people at the march, he asked about our car pools, and other things (which I
      gave him a lot of �I don�t know�s). He knew a lot about our past events and
      even knew to call me, which shows that the Tacoma Police Department has
      intelligence files on our group, even though we have never broken any laws
      unless speaking out about Leonard Peltier and other Natives issues is
      against the law.
      As Leonard Peltier has shown us, struggling for justice for the people is
      not easy, that is why we call it a struggle. Though the struggle for the
      freedom of speech and assembly does not call for the type of sacrifices
      Leonard has had to make, still it does take effort on our part. The Tacoma
      LPSG will not back down in the face of intimidation; we will carry on our
      purpose, even if we must do it alone. But we believe that we will not be
      alone. We respectfully ask all who believe in social justice to join us for
      our march on Feb. 8th in Tacoma (see below for more information) for the
      greatest protection we can have from further harassment will come from the
      greatest number of people possible that join us in the march. Please network
      with your friends, groups and organizations (and pass this e-mail statement
      to others and to lists) to bring people out for the march and let the City
      of Tacoma know that there are many people who they cannot intimidated.
      Though we may have to march on the sidewalk, later we may see then need to
      call for a civil liberties march.
      We also have the need of people video taping the march and rally and for
      legal observers.
      The City of Tacoma needs to hear from you where ever you maybe. Please
      call, e-mail or snail mail letters to the Mayor of Tacoma asking that the
      City of Tacoma respect the rights of free speech and freedom of assembly for
      those that do not have the money to buy those rights. Contact: Mayor Bill
      Baarsma, 747 Market St., Suite 1200, Tacoma, WA 98402-3766; Phone: (253)
      591-5100; E-mail: bbaarsma@....
      Thank You
      Arthur J. Miller
      Tacoma LPSG

      From:
      TACOMA LEONARD PELTIER SUPPORT NETWORK
      P.O. BOX 5464
      TACOMA, WA 98415-0464
      E-MAIL: bayou@...

      UNTIL FREEDOM IS WON!

      INTERNATIONAL DAY OF SOLIDARITY
      WITH LEONARD PELTIER
      MARCH AND RALLY FOR JUSTICE

      For Peace, Justice and Freedom for all People

      SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 8, 2003
      TACOMA, WA

      Dedicated to the memory of Nilak Butler and Standing Deer who recently
      passed on from this world.

      NEEDS: Signs and Banners

      12:OO NOON: MARCH FOR JUSTICE
      PORTLAND AVE PARK (on Portland Ave. between E. 34th and
      E. Fairbanks Ave. Take Portland Ave. exit off I-5 and head east)

      1:00 PM: RALLY FOR JUSTICE
      U.S. FEDERAL COURT HOUSE,
      1717 PACIFIC AVE.

      SPEAKERS:
      Matilaja, Yu�pik - Yakama, Tacoma LPSG
      Harold Belmont, Elder, Native People�s Alliance With Friends and Allies
      Dorothy Ackerman, Lakota Elder
      Helaire EchoHawk, Native American Coalition
      Juan Jose Bocanegra, long time Peltier supporter
      Michael Oneroad, Portland AIM
      Steve Hapy Jr, NW AIM
      Arthur J. Miller, Tacoma LPSG
      Matt Remle, Lakota, Community Coalition for Environmental Justice
      Peter Bohmer, Evergreen State College Teacher
      Pio Celestino, Peruvian Indigenous Elder, Regugio Del Rio Grande

      Music:
      Jim Page
      NW AIM DRUM

      CARAVAN FOR JUSTICE (car pool)
      SEATTLE: Meet at 10:45 at the parking lot at 22nd and Madison.
      OLYMPIA: Meet at 10:45 Media Island 816 Adams St.

      AFTER RALLY
      HONORING POTLUCK

      AT THE GUADALUPE HOUSE, 1417 S. G St
      (Only a few blocks from the rally site) Please bring food.

      The Honoring Potluck will take place right after the Feb. 8th Rally For
      Justice For Leonard Peltier. This is open to all supporters. This meal will
      give thanks to those who have helped in the past 10 years with our regional
      network and with the Feb. 8th march and rally. It is also a time to make
      connections to build for the future.

      DONATIONS NEEDED! We have had to borrow money to pay for fliers, posters,
      and mailing in order to put on the Feb. 8th March and Rally For Justice For
      Leonard Peltier. Our group is a grassroots group and we have no other
      funding outside of donations that come from you, our supporters. Please if
      you can, send us a donation to: Seattle LPSG, P.O. Box 2514, Seattle, WA
      98111. (Please make checks out to the Northwest Leonard Peltier Support
      Network).

      HOW YOU CAN HELP. Please pass this message on to others and if you would
      like to get out fliers and posters please let us know at: bayou@...

      SPONSORED BY: Tacoma LPSG, NW AIM, Native People�s Alliance With Friends and
      Allies, Native American Coalition, Seattle LPSG

      Feb. 6th, 2003 will mark the 27th year since AIM activist Leonard Peltier�
      s arrest. After Leonard�s defense team in appeals disproved the government�s
      case against Leonard the government stated that they have no evidence
      directly connecting Leonard to the deaths of the FBI agents that he was
      convicted for, but still he has not been granted a new trial. The Leonard
      Peltier Defense Committee has a new appeal and a lawsuit against the FBI.
      This event is in support of the appeal, lawsuit and seeks to send a message
      of solidarity for the continuous struggle for justice for Leonard Peltier.
      www.freepeltier.org.

      When you�re conquered, the people you�re conquered by dictate your future.
      This is a basic philosophy of mine. If I�m part of a conquered nation, then
      I�ve got to yield to authority. Norman Zigrossi, FBI

      There is a possibility that the jury would have acquitted Leonard Peltier
      had the records and data improperly withheld from the defense been available
      to him in order to better exploit and reinforce the inconsistencies casting
      strong doubts upon the government�s case. Eighth Circuit Court Opinion,
      1986

      I have no doubt whatsoever that the real motivation behind both Wounded
      Knee II and the Oglala firefight, and much of the turmoil throughout Indian
      Country since the early 1970s, was�and is�the mining companies� desire to
      muffle AIM and all traditional Indian people, who sought�and still seek�to
      protect the land, water, and air from their thefts and depredations. In this
      sad and tragic age we live in, to come to the defense of Mother Earth is to
      be branded a criminal. Leonard Peltier