Daily Meditation~~~~>

    Message 1 of 130 , Feb 1, 2003
      Have you heard how dreadful the neighbors are these days to ignore
      another's plight, and how the world has gone to the dogs because people
      don't care? Have you heard how hardened hearts are and how callous and
      unfeeling the human race has become?
      It may be true such things do happen....for we hear about it daily. But
      it likely is that we hear more about the unusual then the usual.
      For have you heard about the builder who laid his own plans aside to
      help another build his house....and the lady who gave her home and
      nursing care to someone who had no other place to go. Or the child who
      found its needs fulfilled in the love of a foster mother.
      We may ignore, but we can never erase the love of the human race for the
      human race. The world may abound with sordid happenings; it may revel in
      senseless activities. But called to help, the greater number will
      respond without thought of the cost to themselves.
      Of these things we hear so little. With these we come in contact every
      day and accept it as the normal pattern of life....which it is....for
      each unthinking, infantile mine there are two great thoughtful ones. And
      the second great Commandment still works its wonders in all our lives.
      FEBRUARY
      Gaga lu'nee
      Bony of Hungry Month
      The whole earth belongs to ASGA YA GALLUN LATI, the Great Spirit.
      Cherokee People
      February 1 - Daily Feast
      This morning the sun spilled pale gold over the horizon and filled
      all the space beneath the great oaks. High above, the red-tail hawk,
      known to the Cherokees as ta wo di, sailed lazily along air currents.
      Even though spring is still many weeks away, the land is beautiful to
      see. Now, while the trees are bare, there is a wider view of hills and
      valleys. The colors are all muted shades of beige and gray and the hills
      are swathed in blue mist. Even the deer are outfitted by nature to be
      the same subtle shade of browns and tans to give them protection. A
      restful moment is a perfect moment. But we have to be open to it, and
      receptive to anything that gives us peace of mind with no side effects.
      It can't happen if our minds are set to be drab and dreary.
      ~ The old Lakota was wise. He knew that man's heart away from nature
      becomes hard. ~
      STANDING BEAR
      Elder's Meditation of the Day - February 1
      "You can't just sit down and talk about the truth. It doesn't work that
      way. You have to live it and be part of it and you might get to know
      it."
      --Rolling Thunder, CHEROKEE
      We all read books that have much information in them. Often we pick up
      on little sayings that we remember. Inside of us is the little owl, the
      owl of knowing. It talks to us- guiding us and nurturing us. Often when
      we get information, it's hard to live by, but it's easy to talk about.
      It's living the Red Road that counts-Walk the Talk. If we really want
      freedom in our lives, if we really want to be happy, if we really want
      to have peace of mind, it's the truth we must seek.
      My Creator,
      help me in my
      search for the
      truth today.
      Message 130 of 130 , Jul 23, 2003
        From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Wed, Jul 23, 2003, 9:08am To:
        [Tradition_OF_The_Redroad] July 23 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
        How weak-willed we are at times when we've made a decision and know we
        must stand on it. It is so much easier to give in to the easy way of
        doing things.
        We are almost a "house divided against itself," and the strain of
        staying with a decision seems almost our enemy. But we never gain much
        stature by giving in to ourselves against our better judgement. And we
        never get anywhere by scattering our efforts.
        Making a decision is difficult enough without losing one's determination
        in following through. Laying down the responsibility is someone like
        warning children to behave themselves and then permitting them to
        continue to misbehave.
        How long has it been since you've proven to yourself that you mean
        business in carrying out a plan?
        A man of wisdom has written that we have firmness of character when we
        have the ability to say "no" to the wrong as well as to those things
        which are good but stand in the way of our progress.
        Always remember that to want something that is good and right is the
        blessing. God gave us that ability to desire or we would never have
        thought of using it. But God also gave us the ability to cry, to feel
        pain, and the freedom to choose whether we go on or quit.
        In our lives we face many decisions. Some are hard to make because we
        know we must turn our backs upon something that seems harmless at the
        moment simply because we know it would not be good in the long run.
        But there are also decisions that are more challenge than decision. They
        are the good things that are placed before us, and our will to follow
        through is tested. When defeat seems sure, then is the time to begin to
        fight. When others are quitting, then is the time to throw more strength
        into the battle. Anything worth having is worth working for, and is of
        lasting value.
        Very often these sieges must be made silently and without seeming
        effort. And yet we know we cannot get something for nothing. We have a
        service to perform. We can make it a drudge, or we can make it a
        delightful experience, according to our faith. Be persistent. Unless you
        do not particularly want your dreams to come true, you can't afford to
        know the meaning of apathy. You must continually be on the scene with
        the muscles of your mind toned.
        It isn't difficult to have a dream. But it often ceases at that point.
        The willingness to follow through, the determination to look
        impossibilities in the eye and trudge on must be practiced before that
        dream can amount to anything.
        All along life's road there are those who would discourage you, every
        often in ignorance, not realizing the effect of their words upon you. It
        is then that you must muster the strength to believe that theirs is only
        an opinion while your plans are based on the principle that all good
        things come to those who hustle while they wait.
        It is too bad that they cannot see your invisible companions,
        persistence, faith, and a worthwhile plan. Smile and walk on.
        There is a Divine Being with whom we can place all our obstacles, all
        our doubts and fears - and then our work begins. We give lovingly of
        friendship, of any kind of help that we are capable of giving, of
        positive words and thoughts and understanding.
        Give without thought of return. For while we are giving with loving
        selflessness, life shapes for us our heart's desire.
        Much is lost through misunderstanding - and often because we want
        someone to know we are angry. We choose to think they intentionally
        displease us, though we know nothing of their circumstance of what their
        thoughts really were. It must be an ego-building thing to believe that
        someone is trying to offend us. Somehow it gives an importance where
        there had been none. We have the uncanny knack of building a sad story
        with such realism that it makes us think we are more important than we
        are. It is not enjoyable to be the kind of person who wants to
        misunderstand - not only other people, but also life itself. It is
        painful to be unhappy and disagreeable, but some cannot resist the
        temptation.
        ~ It has come to me through the bushes that you are not united
        (agreeable); come to me when you are united. ~
        BIG BEAR
        "...the greatest strength is in gentleness."
        --Leon Shenandoah, ONONDAGA
        Our Elders have taught us many lessons about becoming a Warrior and how
        to think and act like one. We have been told about the power of
        gentleness. We have been told about the power of the stillness. Physical
        power is about effort. Mental power is the opposite. It's about being
        effortless or less any effort. Gentleness is one of the greatest
        attributes of the Warrior and one of the greatest mental powers. It
        takes a lot of love to be gentle. Gentleness is not an ego word.
        Gentleness is the weapon of the Great Spirit.
        My Creator,
        today I will be gentle
        with myself
        and with others.