MUST READ article from London Daily Mirror~~~>

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2003
      I recieved this from a friend i want to share it with you all ~~~>Jeanne

      Article from London's Daily Mirror
         Surprise! Surprise! When one of the world's most liberal left
      wing
      newspapers writes a great article like this, there is hope for everyone.
      thoughtfully written piece in one of the most left wing newspapers in
      the UK.
      Just a word of background for those of you who aren't familiar with the
      UK's Daily Mirror. This is one of the most notorious Left wing,
      anti-American dailies in the UK. Hard to believe that the Daily Mirror
      actually published it, but it did.
         Begin article:
         ONE year ago, the world witnessed a unique kind of broadcasting
      -- the mass
      murder of thousands, live on television. As a lesson in the pitiless
      cruelty
      of the human race, September 11 was up there with Pol Pot's Mountain of
      skulls in Cambodia, or the skeletal bodies stacked like garbage in the
      Nazi
      concentration camps. An unspeakable act so cruel, so calculated and so
      utterly merciless that surely the world could agree on one thing --
      nobody
      deserves this fate.
         Surely there could be consensus: the victims were truly innocent,
      the
      perpetrators truly evil. But to the world's eternal shame, 9/11 is
      increasingly seen as America's comeuppance [deserved reprimand or
      punishment].
         Incredibly, anti-Americanism has increased over the last year.
      There has
      always been a simmering resentment to the USA in this country -- too
      loud,
      too rich, too full of themselves and so much happier than Europeans -
      but
      it has become an epidemic. And it seems incredible to me. More than
      that,
      it turns my stomach. America is this country's greatest friend and our
      staunchest ally. We are bonded to the US by culture, language and blood.
         A little over half a century ago, around half a million Americans
      died for
      our freedoms, as well as their own. Have we forgotten so soon?
          And exactly a year ago, thousands of ordinary men, women and
      children -- not
      just Americans, but from dozens of countries -- were butchered by a
      small
      group of religious fanatics. Are we so quick to betray them?
         What touched the heart about those who died in the twin towers
      and on the
      planes was that we recognized them. Young fathers and mothers,
      somebody's
      son and somebody's daughter, husbands and wives. And children. Some
      unborn.
         And these people brought it on themselves? And their nation is to
      blame for
      their meticulously planned slaughter?
         These days you don't have to be some dust-encrusted nut job in
      Kabul or
      Karachi or Finsbury Park to see America as the Great Satan. The
      anti-American alliance is made up of self-loathing liberals who blame
      the
      Americans for every ill in the Third World, and conservatives suffering
      from
      power-envy, bitter that the world's only superpower can do what it likes
      without having to ask permission.
        The truth is that America has behaved with enormous restraint since
      September 11. Remember, remember!  Remember the gut-wrenching tapes of
      weeping men phoning their wives to say, "I love you," before they were
      burned alive. Remember those people leaping o their deaths from the top
      of burning skyscrapers.
      Remember the hundreds of firemen buried alive. Remember the smiling face
      of
      that beautiful little girl who was on one of the planes with her mum.
      Remember, remember -- and realize that America has never retaliated for
      9/11
      in anything like the way it could have.
         So, a few al-Qaeda tourists got locked up without a trial in Camp
      X-ray?
      Pass the Kleenex. So, some Afghan wedding receptions were shot up after
      they
      merrily fired their semiautomatics in a sky full of American planes? A
      shame, but maybe next time they should stick to confetti.
        AMERICA could have turned a large chunk of the world into a parking
      lot.
      That it didn't is a sign of strength.
        American voices are already being raised against attacking Iraq -
      that's
      what a democracy is for. How many in the Islamic world will have a
      minute's
      silence for the slaughtered innocents of 9/11? How many Islamic leaders
      will
      have the guts to say that the mass murder of 9/11 was an abomination?
        When the news of 9/11 broke on the West Bank, those freedom-loving
      Palestinians were dancing in the street. America watched all of that --
      and
      didn't push the button. We should thank the stars that America is the
      most
      powerful nation in the world. I still find it incredible that 9/11 did
      not
      provoke all-out war. Not a "war on terrorism." A real war.
        The fundamentalist dudes are talking about "opening the gates of
      hell" if
      America attacks Iraq. Well, America could have opened the gates of hell
      like
      you wouldn't believe. The US is the most militarily powerful nation that
      ever strode the face of the earth. The campaign in Afghanistan may have
      been
      less than perfect and the planned war on Iraq may be misconceived.
         But don't blame America for not bringing peace and light to these
      wretched
      countries. How many democracies are there in the Middle East, or in the
      Muslim world? You can count them on the fingers of one hand -- assuming
      you
      haven't had any chopped off for minor shoplifting.
         I love America, yet America is hated. I guess that makes me
      Bush's poodle.
      But I would rather be a dog in New York City than a Prince in Riyadh.
      Above
      all, America is hated because it is what every country wants to be --
      rich,
      free, strong, open, optimistic. Not ground down by the past, or
      religion, or
      some caste system. America is the best friend this country ever had and
      we
      should start remembering that.
         Or do you really think the USA is the root of all evil? Tell it
      to the loved
      ones of the men and women who leaped to their death from the burning
      towers.
      Tell it to the nursing mothers whose husbands died on one of the
      hijacked
      planes, or were ripped apart in a collapsing skyscraper. And tell it to
      the
      hundreds of young widows whose husbands worked for the New York Fire
      Department. To our shame, George Bush gets a worse press than Saddam
      Hussein.
         Once we were told that Saddam gassed the Kurds, tortured his own
      people and
      set up rape-camps in Kuwait. Now we are told he likes Quality Street.
      Save
      me the orange center, oh mighty one!
        Remember, remember, September 11. One of the greatest atrocities in
      human
      history was committed against America. No, do more than remember. Never,
      never forget!

         (Please pass this article on.)