Traditional Attitudes Toward Bigfoot.

    Message 1 of 1 , May 24, 2001
      I picked this articule of from the Bigfoot field Research Institues webpsit=
      e. ~Paranormalvortex~

      (From : Traditional Attitudes Toward Bigfoot in Many North American Culture=
      s, By Gayle Highpine)
      Originally printed in the Western Bigfoot Society Newsletter "The Track Rec=
      ord". Excerpted from "Legends Beyond Psychology", by Henry James Franzoni II=
      I. Reprinted with permission from all parties.
      "Here in the Northwest, and west of the Rockies generally, Indian people re=
      gard Bigfoot with great respect. He is seen as a special kind of being, beca=
      use of his obvious close relationship with humans. Some elders regard him as=
      standing on the "border" between animal-style consciousness and human-style=
      consciousness, which gives him a special kind of power. (It is not that Big=
      foot's relationship to make him "superior" to other animals; in Indian cultu=
      re, unlike western culture, animals are not regarded as "inferior" to humans=
      but rather as "elder brothers" and "teachers" of humans. But tribal culture=
      s everywhere are based on relationship and kinship; the closer the kinship, =
      the stronger the bond. Man Indian elders in the Northwest refuse to eat bear=
      meat because of the bear's similarity to humans, and Bigfoot is obviously m=
      uch more similar to humans than is the bear. As beings who blend the "natura=
      l knowledge" of animals with something of the distinctive type of consciousn=
      ess called "intelligence" that humans have, Bigfoot is regarded as a special=
      type of being."
      "But, special being as he is, I have never heard anyone from a Northwestern=
      tribe suggest that Bigfoot is anything other than a physical being, living =
      in the same physical dimensions as humans and other animals. He eats, he sle=
      eps, he poops, he cares for his family members. However, among many Indians =
      elsewhere in North America... as widely separated at the Hopi, the Sioux, th=
      e Iroquois, and the Northern Athabascan -- Bigfoot is seen more as a sort of=
      supernatural or spirit being, whose appearance to humans is always meant to=
      convey some kind of message."
      "The Lakota, or western Sioux, call Bigfoot Chiye-tanka (Chiha-tanka in Dak=
      ota or eastern Sioux); "chiye" means "elder brother" and "tanka" means "grea=
      t" or "big". In English, though, the Sioux usually call him "the big man". I=
      n his book "In the Spirit of Crazy Horse," (Viking, 1980), a non-fiction acc=
      ount of the events dramatized by the excellent recent movie "Thunderheart", =
      author Peter Mathiessen recorded some comments about Bigfoot made by traditi=
      onal Sioux people and some members of other Indian nations. Joe Flying By, a=
      Hunkpapa Lakota, told Mathiessen, "I think the Big Man is a kind of husband=
      of Unk-ksa, the earth, who is wise in the way of anything with its own natu=
      ral wisdom. Sometimes we say that this One is a kind of reptile from the anc=
      ient times who can take a big hairy form; I also think he can change into a =
      coyote. Some of the people who saw him did not respect what they were seeing=
      , and they are already gone."
      "There is your Big man standing there, ever waiting, ever present, like the=
      coming of a new day," Oglala Lakota Medicine Man Pete Catches km told Mathi=
      essen. "He is both spirit and real being, but he can also glide through the =
      forest, like a moose with big antlers, as though the trees weren't there... =
      I know him as my brother... I want him to touch me, just a touch, a blessing=
      , something I could bring home to my sons and grandchildren, that I was ther=
      e, that I approached him, and he touched me."