Daily Meditation~~~~>

    Message 1 of 130 , Dec 17, 2002
      Variety is said to be the spice of life. Anything in which we can
      continually find something new, a difference, will hold our attention
      indefinitely. Even the most interesting work can become monotonous if
      there never is a change. We are a restless people, finding life more
      livable and exciting when we know there is a bit of a change in store.
      One isn't always aware of monotony. It is a subtle something that creeps
      silently into a well formed routine. And most are unaware of its
      presence until its victim, interest, begins to lose ground.
      Sometimes a change of pace fulfills a need for variety, but the most
      satisfying is one's ability to lay aside a regular routine to lend a
      hand to a neighbor when he needs it.
      The very old and happy habit of helping your neighbor never found a body
      bored. The hearts of helpers are light, not because they are searching
      for variety, but because variety finds them when self is forgotten and
      the need to help a neighbor is the only thought.
      December 17 - Daily Feast
      Something very special happens in a Christmas sky. The heavens are
      deeper, bluer, and even the stars glitter electricity and energy. The
      sky is alive and set apart from earthly activity - reflecting so much
      that we know in our hearts. But doubt and pain would steal this tranquil
      vision if we were to allow it. To stand and look into a Christmas sky
      tells us something about a Power far beyond our most vivid imagination.
      It removes us from competition, takes us out of pettiness and drains
      away the bitterness. Listen, this is no common phenomenon, this is all
      life, this is all peace, this is joy unspeakable!
      ~ But if the vision was true and mighty, it is true and mighty yet. ~
      BLACK ELK - LAKOTA
      'A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II' by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      Elder's Meditation of the Day - December 17
      "Hear me! A single twig breaks, but the bundle of twigs is strong."
      --Tecumseh, SHAWNEE
      You can take one arrow and break it in half. But if you take 12 arrows
      in a bundle, it's almost impossible to break any of them. There is
      strength in Unity. When we are together we are very powerful. This is
      the way the ancestors told us we need to be. Strong. We need to unite
      ourselves. This is why the Elders say, when we make decisions, we must
      first consider the good of the people. If every person in the community
      thinks this way, then we will always make strong decisions.
      Creator, let my
      decisions have
      the strength of
      the bundle.
      Message 130 of 130 , Jul 23, 2003
        From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Wed, Jul 23, 2003, 9:08am To:
        [Tradition_OF_The_Redroad] July 23 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
        How weak-willed we are at times when we've made a decision and know we
        must stand on it. It is so much easier to give in to the easy way of
        doing things.
        We are almost a "house divided against itself," and the strain of
        staying with a decision seems almost our enemy. But we never gain much
        stature by giving in to ourselves against our better judgement. And we
        never get anywhere by scattering our efforts.
        Making a decision is difficult enough without losing one's determination
        in following through. Laying down the responsibility is someone like
        warning children to behave themselves and then permitting them to
        continue to misbehave.
        How long has it been since you've proven to yourself that you mean
        business in carrying out a plan?
        A man of wisdom has written that we have firmness of character when we
        have the ability to say "no" to the wrong as well as to those things
        which are good but stand in the way of our progress.
        Always remember that to want something that is good and right is the
        blessing. God gave us that ability to desire or we would never have
        thought of using it. But God also gave us the ability to cry, to feel
        pain, and the freedom to choose whether we go on or quit.
        In our lives we face many decisions. Some are hard to make because we
        know we must turn our backs upon something that seems harmless at the
        moment simply because we know it would not be good in the long run.
        But there are also decisions that are more challenge than decision. They
        are the good things that are placed before us, and our will to follow
        through is tested. When defeat seems sure, then is the time to begin to
        fight. When others are quitting, then is the time to throw more strength
        into the battle. Anything worth having is worth working for, and is of
        lasting value.
        Very often these sieges must be made silently and without seeming
        effort. And yet we know we cannot get something for nothing. We have a
        service to perform. We can make it a drudge, or we can make it a
        delightful experience, according to our faith. Be persistent. Unless you
        do not particularly want your dreams to come true, you can't afford to
        know the meaning of apathy. You must continually be on the scene with
        the muscles of your mind toned.
        It isn't difficult to have a dream. But it often ceases at that point.
        The willingness to follow through, the determination to look
        impossibilities in the eye and trudge on must be practiced before that
        dream can amount to anything.
        All along life's road there are those who would discourage you, every
        often in ignorance, not realizing the effect of their words upon you. It
        is then that you must muster the strength to believe that theirs is only
        an opinion while your plans are based on the principle that all good
        things come to those who hustle while they wait.
        It is too bad that they cannot see your invisible companions,
        persistence, faith, and a worthwhile plan. Smile and walk on.
        There is a Divine Being with whom we can place all our obstacles, all
        our doubts and fears - and then our work begins. We give lovingly of
        friendship, of any kind of help that we are capable of giving, of
        positive words and thoughts and understanding.
        Give without thought of return. For while we are giving with loving
        selflessness, life shapes for us our heart's desire.
        Much is lost through misunderstanding - and often because we want
        someone to know we are angry. We choose to think they intentionally
        displease us, though we know nothing of their circumstance of what their
        thoughts really were. It must be an ego-building thing to believe that
        someone is trying to offend us. Somehow it gives an importance where
        there had been none. We have the uncanny knack of building a sad story
        with such realism that it makes us think we are more important than we
        are. It is not enjoyable to be the kind of person who wants to
        misunderstand - not only other people, but also life itself. It is
        painful to be unhappy and disagreeable, but some cannot resist the
        temptation.
        ~ It has come to me through the bushes that you are not united
        (agreeable); come to me when you are united. ~
        BIG BEAR
        "...the greatest strength is in gentleness."
        --Leon Shenandoah, ONONDAGA
        Our Elders have taught us many lessons about becoming a Warrior and how
        to think and act like one. We have been told about the power of
        gentleness. We have been told about the power of the stillness. Physical
        power is about effort. Mental power is the opposite. It's about being
        effortless or less any effort. Gentleness is one of the greatest
        attributes of the Warrior and one of the greatest mental powers. It
        takes a lot of love to be gentle. Gentleness is not an ego word.
        Gentleness is the weapon of the Great Spirit.
        My Creator,
        today I will be gentle
        with myself
        and with others.