Daily Meditation~~~~>

    Message 1 of 130 , Dec 14, 2002
      As long as there has been a human race there has been someone crying
      out, "No one understands!" Somewhere along the way communications have
      broken down and the result is misunderstanding.
      To be misunderstood is painful. We keep wanting to explain and explain
      until we get our message across. Sometimes it is the lack of the wise
      use of words. Then, it may be an unwilling ear. But whatever the race,
      the politics, sophisticated or home grown, everyone has the desire to be
      understood. They want every motive, every mood, completely and
      unquestionably understood.
      But to be completely understood can also have its rebounds. A goddess
      can turn into a woman, and a hero can slip into a man when only one of
      their moods is completely understood.
      Understanding breeds familiarity. Familiarity many not breed contempt,
      but it can certainly take the edge off the mystery. And, it is mystery
      that keeps life interesting.
      In all wisdom, we should worry much less about being completely
      understood, and make a more diligent effort to understand others.
      Something dies within us when no one cares. It is a circumstance of our
      own making when we have failed to give to another the thought and
      concern that would have helped when it was most needed.
      Sorrows can be borne because others care. Greatness can be achieved
      because someone cared. To care is our purpose.
      Who knows but that these small acts of sympathy and understanding may
      place another life into the one slot on the jigsaw puzzle of life.
      If we were all the things we expect of others, the result would be
      perfection. We would be perfect in forgiveness, faithful in love, and
      devoted in the welfare of others. Such excellence has never been
      accomplished, except that we work continually for it. To work for it, we
      have to care. And for someone to care is the thing that matters.
      "Instead of allowing yourself to be so unhappy, just let your love grow
      as God wants it to grow; seek goodness in others, love more persons
      more; love them more impersonally, more unselfishly, without thought of
      return. The return, never fear, will take care of itself." - Henry
      Drummond
      December 14 - Daily Feast
      If a person is unhappy with himself, he is going to cause others to be
      unhappy as well. His house is divided against itself - and so it can't
      stand, and it makes him more unhappy. It is said that every time someone
      does something wrong, someone sacrifices. It almost seems the innocent
      have to pay because the guilty will not accept the responsibility. And
      so the time comes when we stand back and let the irresponsible put down
      their feet. as long as someone stands for them, they will not learn to
      stand for themselves. The greatest gift we can give such people is to
      let them alone - let them find their standing place.
      ~ We should be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these
      doctrines in your own practices than with hearing you talk about them. ~
      OLD TASSEL - CHEROKEE,  1777
      'A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II' by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      Elder's Meditation of the Day - December 14
      "Male and female is fundamental to life; partners in work to be done."
      --Oren R. Lyons, Spokesman, Traditional Circle of Elders
      The Great Spirit created a system which would allow us to reproduce, to
      have companionship, to love, to laugh, to cry and be happy. Man and
      Woman each have gifts the other doesn't have. But, together they have
      these gifts to share with each other. The Great Spirit made it this way.
      So let us treat each other with respect. Let us look upon each other in
      a sacred way.
      Grandfather,
      Grandmother,
      bring the
      spirits to teach
      us.
      Message 130 of 130 , Jul 23, 2003
        From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Wed, Jul 23, 2003, 9:08am To:
        [Tradition_OF_The_Redroad] July 23 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
        How weak-willed we are at times when we've made a decision and know we
        must stand on it. It is so much easier to give in to the easy way of
        doing things.
        We are almost a "house divided against itself," and the strain of
        staying with a decision seems almost our enemy. But we never gain much
        stature by giving in to ourselves against our better judgement. And we
        never get anywhere by scattering our efforts.
        Making a decision is difficult enough without losing one's determination
        in following through. Laying down the responsibility is someone like
        warning children to behave themselves and then permitting them to
        continue to misbehave.
        How long has it been since you've proven to yourself that you mean
        business in carrying out a plan?
        A man of wisdom has written that we have firmness of character when we
        have the ability to say "no" to the wrong as well as to those things
        which are good but stand in the way of our progress.
        Always remember that to want something that is good and right is the
        blessing. God gave us that ability to desire or we would never have
        thought of using it. But God also gave us the ability to cry, to feel
        pain, and the freedom to choose whether we go on or quit.
        In our lives we face many decisions. Some are hard to make because we
        know we must turn our backs upon something that seems harmless at the
        moment simply because we know it would not be good in the long run.
        But there are also decisions that are more challenge than decision. They
        are the good things that are placed before us, and our will to follow
        through is tested. When defeat seems sure, then is the time to begin to
        fight. When others are quitting, then is the time to throw more strength
        into the battle. Anything worth having is worth working for, and is of
        lasting value.
        Very often these sieges must be made silently and without seeming
        effort. And yet we know we cannot get something for nothing. We have a
        service to perform. We can make it a drudge, or we can make it a
        delightful experience, according to our faith. Be persistent. Unless you
        do not particularly want your dreams to come true, you can't afford to
        know the meaning of apathy. You must continually be on the scene with
        the muscles of your mind toned.
        It isn't difficult to have a dream. But it often ceases at that point.
        The willingness to follow through, the determination to look
        impossibilities in the eye and trudge on must be practiced before that
        dream can amount to anything.
        All along life's road there are those who would discourage you, every
        often in ignorance, not realizing the effect of their words upon you. It
        is then that you must muster the strength to believe that theirs is only
        an opinion while your plans are based on the principle that all good
        things come to those who hustle while they wait.
        It is too bad that they cannot see your invisible companions,
        persistence, faith, and a worthwhile plan. Smile and walk on.
        There is a Divine Being with whom we can place all our obstacles, all
        our doubts and fears - and then our work begins. We give lovingly of
        friendship, of any kind of help that we are capable of giving, of
        positive words and thoughts and understanding.
        Give without thought of return. For while we are giving with loving
        selflessness, life shapes for us our heart's desire.
        Much is lost through misunderstanding - and often because we want
        someone to know we are angry. We choose to think they intentionally
        displease us, though we know nothing of their circumstance of what their
        thoughts really were. It must be an ego-building thing to believe that
        someone is trying to offend us. Somehow it gives an importance where
        there had been none. We have the uncanny knack of building a sad story
        with such realism that it makes us think we are more important than we
        are. It is not enjoyable to be the kind of person who wants to
        misunderstand - not only other people, but also life itself. It is
        painful to be unhappy and disagreeable, but some cannot resist the
        temptation.
        ~ It has come to me through the bushes that you are not united
        (agreeable); come to me when you are united. ~
        BIG BEAR
        "...the greatest strength is in gentleness."
        --Leon Shenandoah, ONONDAGA
        Our Elders have taught us many lessons about becoming a Warrior and how
        to think and act like one. We have been told about the power of
        gentleness. We have been told about the power of the stillness. Physical
        power is about effort. Mental power is the opposite. It's about being
        effortless or less any effort. Gentleness is one of the greatest
        attributes of the Warrior and one of the greatest mental powers. It
        takes a lot of love to be gentle. Gentleness is not an ego word.
        Gentleness is the weapon of the Great Spirit.
        My Creator,
        today I will be gentle
        with myself
        and with others.