Daily Meditation~~>

    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 10, 2002
      It has been written that an optimist is someone who can fall ten stories
      and call out to each floor in passing that everything is okay so far. It
      has also been said that an optimist is someone who refuses to see things
      as they really are.
      It is far better, the pessimist believes, to look for the worst so as to
      be pleasantly surprised when things are better than expected. Then, if
      they are as bad as imagined, the disappointment won't be quite so great.
      But this is somewhat like backing into a room so to avoid seeing the
      beauty of it, only to find it is an elevator shaft.
      There can be no advancement where we expect the worst and believe that
      going outside the limits of ordinary thinking is only day dreaming.
      Thinkers, capable of forecasting and predicting answers before the
      questions arise, are in great demand.
      Only the optimist can fill the bill. Only the optimist can dare to
      believe there are things waiting for discovery and further development.
      An optimist questions life the same as a pessimist - the difference is
      that the optimist knows there is an answer and that the answer can be
      found. Optimists are aware that the cherries of life have pits, but they
      are prepared to remove them. Their minds do not dwell on pits, but on
      the sweetness of the cherries.
      There will be situations that will make us afraid. Fear is a common
      sense emotion that keeps us from walking in front of a moving car or
      from jumping off the deep end of anything. And there are periods of
      natural anxiety when we want too much to perform well, and the
      butterflies begin to flutter.
      Then, there is another kind of fear that is unnatural. It has the
      ability to possess us and rule over our very lives. It is that "what if"
      fear that builds nests in our minds and hatches dire images that scare
      the daylights out of us. It can keep the lights off, the doors bolted,
      and the windows of our souls firmly locked against the most beautiful
      things in life.
      It is no disgrace in this day to ask for professional help in
      understanding our fears. Only the very foolish would consider this help
      a crutch. It is a brave person who admits the need for help and has the
      courage to go and find it.
      They are the pioneers in recognizing our existence as three-fold:
      Spirit, mind and body.
      November 10 - Daily Feast
      For those who have a wait-and-see attitude it is more wait than see.
      Then they claim it is better to not expect anything than to be
      disappointed. These people build the same mental images - but they see
      nothing. Being able to see in the spirit is as necessary as having a
      blueprint to build a house. The details need to be filled in, finally
      coming to that completed picture - so vivid and clear that it must come
      into being. Anything we touch or use was first an image, an idea, in
      someone's mind. Seeing it and sensing it and loving it is writing an
      order to receive it. Mental images should never lack from a poor
      consciousness. Even if it seems impossible, fill it in. Ideas often have
      miracles of their own.
      ~ Our fathers gave us many laws, which they learned from their fathers.
      These laws were good. ~
      IN-MUT-TOO-YAH-LAT-LAT  -  NEZ PERCE
      'A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II' by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      Elder's Meditation of the Day - November 10
      "The battle for Indian children will be won in the classroom, not on the
      streets or on horses. The students of today are our warriors of
      tomorrow."
      --Wilma P. Mankiller, CHEROKEE
      The world is constantly changing. One of the strengths of Indian people
      has been our adaptability. In today's world, education is what we need
      to survive. We need doctors, lawyers, teachers, scientists. We can
      become these things and still live in a cultural way. We need to live in
      two worlds; the educated world and the Indian cultural world. Education
      will help protect our land, our people's health, and provide knowledge
      for our people. We must teach reading, writing and arithmetic. Also, we
      must teach the language, the culture, the ceremony and the tradition of
      our people.
      Creator, let me
      remember You
      are my teacher.
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 14, 2002
        All of us have at sometime questioned our normalcy as human beings. We
        wonder why we did this or that, why we reacted to something so
        violently, or why we failed to react at all. An American author,
        Katherine Fullerton Gerould, has written, "The only glory most of us
        have to hope for is the glory of being normal." And for all our
        questionable actions sometimes, normal people must be those who have
        felt not only the high points, but the low points of their emotions.
        It is not the fact that people run the gamut of their emotions that make
        them normal, but that they have had the ability to right themselves
        before they could impose upon the rights of others.
        The persons who never lose their tempers, not shed tears, nor refuse to
        respond to other people, but stay day after day in light, shallow
        experience, have never know what it is to come into the center of the
        calm so richly appreciated.
        All of us have made mistakes in behavior, some in ignorance, but more in
        bad taste. Perfection belongs to a higher Source. It is ours to strive
        for, and our mistakes are to use in the growing-up process.
        November 14 - Daily Feast
        Having a career agenda is nothing without a spiritual agenda to back it
        up. Good plans and good intentions are a part of getting ahead, but it's
        not so different from whipping up a cake and finding there's no oven to
        bake it in. We are not one dimension, or two - we are three dimensions:
        body, mind and spirit. Only a very foolish person believes you can
        develop one part and ignore the others. Balance is important - perfect
        balance. It is the only way we do anything, because without it we fall
        flat on our faces. So why plan on the sky being the limit when there's
        no idea what the Spirit it. Cool and suave it isn't, solid as gold it
        is.
        ~ When we look into the history of our race, we see some green spots
        that are pleasing to us. We also find many things to make the heart sad.
        ~
        JOHN ROSS - CHEROKEE CHIEF
        'A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II' by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
        Elder's Meditation of the Day - November 14
        "The hearts of little children are pure, and therefore, the Great Spirit
        may show to them many things which older people miss."
        --Black Elk (Hehaka Sapa) OGLALA LAKOTA
        Sometimes adults think they know more than the children. But the
        children are closer to the truth. Have you ever noticed how quickly they
        can let go of resentments? Have you ever noticed how free they are of
        prejudice? Have you ever noticed how well the children listen to their
        bodies? Maybe adults need to be more like children. They are so
        innocent. The children pray to the Creator and trust that He will take
        care of them.
        Grandfather,
        today let the
        children be my
        teacher.
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 24, 2003
          There must be a great many persons who have questioned their own wisdom
          in having fought for a principle. To so many, it seems all they gleaned
          from it was the title "different". Isn't this why so many refuse to
          stand up for what they believe? We look at them in disbelief, the idea
          that someone is trying to attract attention. If they are not twitted
          about their actions they are treated with cold indifference which can be
          even worse.
          It seems that if persons have the strength to say they will fight for a
          certain truth, they must also have the strength to fight alone without
          depending on those around them to tell them how they should conform.
          They must not be embarrassed to be counted as unusual in the pursuit of
          their particular belief.
          But the individuals who find themselves alone in the stand they take
          must remember that if it is truth they are following it will eventually
          win and at least they can live with themselves. Not everyone can say
          that.
          H.W. Beecher has written, "It is often said it is no matter what a man
          believes if he is only sincere. But let a man sincerely believe that
          seed planted without ploughing is as good as with; that January is as
          favorable for seed-sowing as April; and that cockle seed will produce as
          good a harvest as wheat, and is it so?"
          Sincerity, like trust, must be rooted in those basic truths that are for
          the good of everyone. If that which we sincerely believe in and live by
          is truly good, then the results will speak so loudly that all who really
          want to will see. Until we sincerely want to know good and do good, we
          will never know it. And until we do, we only half live.
          January 24 - Daily Feast
          Other people have no more power than we do. They may have the knack for
          making us think they can do anything. A little adjustment down in our
          minds will stop the thought that we must cope and compete with those who
          have greater advantages. If we believe anything holds us back, limits
          our ability, we can know beyond a doubt that more ability resides in us
          than we will ever have time to hone and develop. When we are doing
          something we love to do, it comes naturally to mind our own business and
          to polish our own skills. Love for the right work takes it out of the
          role of labor and competition and makes it into a work of art. Then, the
          little competitive self is dissolved into a powerful giant that didn't
          realize how much he was growing.
          ~ Your nation supposes that we, like the white people, cannot live
          without bread and pork and beer. But you ought to know that He, the
          Great Spirit and Master of Life has provided....for us in these spacious
          lakes....and woody mountains. ~
          PONTIAC,  1762
          Elder's Meditation of the Day - January 24
          "Always listen to what the Elders say."
          --Dona Josefa Medrano, HUICHOL, SIERRA MADRE, MEXICO
          In school we have been taught to go to the encyclopedia when we need
          information about certain subjects. From the time we are little, we have
          a natural tendency to seek out role models. When we need information
          about living we tend to seek out books about living. These maybe self
          help books. The world is full of information. For the Native people, we
          have our Elders. All races have Elders. Our lives will run much smoother
          when we listen to the Elders. They don't always tell us what we want to
          hear but they always tell us what we need to hear. The Elders have the
          ability to make the truth sweet.
          Creator, thank
          You for the
          Elders. Help
          me this day to
          listen to them.
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 14, 2003
            Happy Birthday Leanne (mi hermana)!
            Available online! 'Cherokee Feast of Days Volume III' Permission to post
            her messages was graciously given to me by Joyce Sequichie Hifler.
            Courage must have its everyday face. We can't preserve it just for
            special occasions. We must have courage when we are disappointed,
            because disappointment is a robber of reason and faith, and even
            dignity. We must remember that whatever we have to meet there is
            something within us to help us meet it. But it is like a vein of rich
            ore. We must tap it, know what it is, and turn it into a finished
            product that will serve a purpose.
            Every day we must have courage to forgive. The adamant we shall always
            face, but to forgive is to disarm. To forgive is to release and to
            release is to remove the graceless things that make it necessary to
            forgive.
            A little common, everyday courage can give a life so much more to live
            for and to find contentment in the knowledge that today I did not give
            in to the smaller self. And I can draw on the strength from One who bore
            personal suffering with supreme courage.
            A comforting adage is that it is always darkest just before the dawn.
            The darkest of fear and worry and misunderstanding can last only so
            long, and then the light of dawn breaks through to show everything in
            its true perspective.
            To someone who is troubled, the darkness holds only the most frightening
            difficulties. This kind of night seems to have no end, but given a
            little time it will pass, as will our problems. The very fact that we
            are not alone should give some comfort, for no matter what we are
            experiencing someone else has been there too. We must not delude
            ourselves with notions that we are meant to be cross-bearers forever.
            And frequently, they are much better people who emerge from their own
            night to remember that it is as important to have faith in the dark as
            it is easy to have faith in the sunshine.
            February 13 - Daily Feast
            Once a person gets despair out of the way, few things can slow his
            progress. Despair is the dividing line between those who can take
            impossibility in stride and those who wilt at the first sign of
            opposition. Too much energy is absorbed in despair. Strength gives way
            to weakness and weakness robs us of the will to overcome. Anything that
            wastes energy should be left behind. Energy cuts doubt to the bone. When
            a word of power is spoken, new strength is generated. Power words are
            not just u wo du hi, pretty words, but strong words of courage that are
            heard in the ear and then in the heart where they stay to do a perfect
            work.
            ~ This is a serious time with you. May the Lord bring you out of all
            your troubles. Trust your course with Him. ~ CHIEF JOHN ROSS
            products from their website: http://www.whitebison.org Elder's
            Meditation of the Day - February 13 "I wanted to feel, smell, hear and
            see, but not see with my eyes and my mind only. I wanted to see with
            CANTE ISTA-the eye of the heart." --Lame Deer, LAKOTA
            Why is it what some people seem to have peace of mind every day? How do
            some people remain so darn positive? How do you stay positive if you
            work or live in a negative environment? How is it that two people can
            observe the same difficult situation, but one person is upset about it,
            and other isn't? Two people experiencing the same situation react
            entirely different. If each morning we ask the Creator to allow us to
            see with His understanding and with His love, we will open a new way of
            "seeing". This eye of the heart is a free gift given to us if we ask for
            it in prayer each day.
            Grandfather,
            allow me to see
            the world and
            all things You
            have made
            through "the
            eye of my
            heart."
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 29, 2003
              In this day of emphasis on right connections with the right people, in
              the right places, at the right time, we must have truly extraordinary
              qualities to become successes on our own.
              They who have worked hard and achieved success often carry a double
              burden by wrongful accusations of being privileged characters. Perhaps
              some to whom doors automatically open because of right connections seem
              to be privileged characters, but they, like dictators, have a limited
              existence.
              Having connections may help us on the ladder of life, but it will never
              keep those rungs steady beneath our feet. Only our own greatness keeps
              us tall, sun-crowned. We must have something to give, something to offer
              before we can expect to be truly privileged characters. And then, we
              will have earned the right to our privileges. We are somewhat like God,
              blamed for much we don't do and seldom given credit for the good we have
              done.
              Whatever the future, the world still needs citizens like those J.G.
              Holland wrote about nearly a century ago: "God give us men. The times
              demand strong minds, great hearts, true faith, and willing
              hands.....Tall men, sun-crowned, who live above the fog, in public duty
              and in private thinking!"
              March 28 - Daily Feast
              Few sounds in nature are harsh. Even the rolling thunder that rumbles
              across the sky has solemn beauty. The wind makes whistles in the
              treetops and wild birds warble like rivulets of water that make harps
              among the shallows.  The frenzied crash and blare come from man. The
              woods comfort with their sounds. A tiny yellow warbler with black wings
              sits in the redbud tree and makes the sound of an astral flute, a clear
              call for peace and harmony. If the bird wants a tranquil place - how
              much more we need it. A wet-weather spring feeds the ground from
              beneath, giving ferns moisture and life. In the rainy season the water
              flows and the delicate fronds mingle with the water creating a swishing
              sound. Surely we can absorb the serenity to heal and soothe our souls.
              ~ Creator of the world, Maker of all men; Lord of lords, my eyes fail
              me.....for the sole desire to know thee. ~
              INCA HYMN
              Elder's Meditation of the Day - March 28
              "Sacred sites and areas are protection for all people?the four colors
              for man?and these sites are in all areas of the earth in the four
              directions."
              --Traditional Circle of Elders, NORTHERN CHEYENNE
              The Elders say that values come from the Mother Earth. Different places
              and areas around the Earth have different values. The Water people live
              in harmony and know the values that correspond to that particular part
              of the Earth. The Desert people know the values of the desert and
              respect and live in harmony with that part of the Earth. The Woodland
              people know the values of their part of the Earth and live in harmony.
              If you live in harmony with the Earth, you will live a life that is full
              of values. We should have great respect for the Mother Earth.
              Grandfather,
              today, let me
              learn values
              from Mother
              Earth
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 5, 2003
                From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Sat, Apr 5, 2003, 10:26am To:
                [openfires] April 5 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
                openfires@yahoogroups.com
                It doesn't seem that a simple thing like going fishing could have such
                excellent results when the world suddenly seems too much. It is a very
                difficult thing to worry when your mind is fixed intently on a little
                red and white plastic float bobbing in the water.
                Just taking one's mind off the general routine of living for even a
                short time is like a much needed and appreciated vacation. We seldom
                recognize the need for getting away from the monotony of following each
                day with another day exactly like it. We lose the value of the hours and
                minutes and lump them all together and plod along expecting miracles to
                come some day and save us.
                The effort we have to give is in releasing the problem and concentrating
                on something beautifully simple and uncomplicated. Living doesn't seem
                so ominous when we can go fishing for a little peace and quiet, and
                sidetrack the things that weigh so heavily on our minds.
                Good health is such a blessing. We don't all realize how much we aid or
                harm our own health. In fact, we give much more thought to being careful
                not to get wet than being careful not to get angry. And it is said that
                anger can lower resistance to colds much quicker than getting wet.
                It is a proven fact that to feel love builds a resistance to illnesses
                while resentment and hate can destroy both mind and body.
                Longfellow once wrote that joy, temperance, and repose would slam the
                door on the doctor's nose. There's no doubt but that most doctor's noses
                are safe. But they, too, would be glad if more patients would exercise
                their abilities to lift themselves out of much of their ill health by
                knowing some measure of joy rather than self pity, some healthy thoughts
                and less thought of self.
                We lower our resistance to ill health in many ways, but none works
                against us as surely as worry, anxiety, and care, plus our inability to
                recognize the fact that we are our own greatest enemy.
                April 5 - Daily Feast
                Power of some kind affects everything we do. But this power is not
                political or electronic so that one little glitch can wipe it out in
                seconds. The real power is what the Cherokee calls adadolisdi - which is
                prayer. Quicker than lightning, it if is handled the right way it can do
                anything. Born of spirit, this power is dynamite. It does not rely on
                outside currents of energy to keep it going, but thrives on
                self-generated faith that is properly fed and well-kept. We have no idea
                how dynamic this inner power is until we begin to rely totally on things
                and people outside ourselves. It is then that we feel the lack of joy
                needed to connect us to powerful adadolisdi, the language of love and
                worship. We can overcome the impossible with fire and nettle. We can
                grow in stamina with every breath - when we learn to use the power that
                is within us.
                ~ We may quarrel with men about things on earth, but we never quarrel
                about the Great Spirit. ~
                CHIEF JOSEPH
                Elder's Meditation of the Day - April 5
                "As we plunge ahead to build empires and race for supremacy we should
                stop and listen to [the female] song of life. For without the female
                there is no life."
                Women are created with the ability to produce life. Women have a special
                tie to the Earth Mother. They have something in common. They are the
                source of life. The Earth Mother gives songs to the Woman to sing. These
                songs are about life, about beauty, about children, about love, about
                family, about strength, about caring, about nurturing, about
                forgiveness, about God. The World needs to pay attention and listen to
                Her. She knows.
                Great Spirit,
                let me listen to
                Her songs.

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 31, 2003
                  From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Thu, Jul 31, 2003, 9:05am To:
                  [Tradition_OF_The_Redroad] July 31 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
                  In this day of emphasis on right connections with the right people, into
[...]
                  Rejoice when the going gets rough, when everything turns mean. It is
                  time to shout and clap our hands - if only in the privacy of our own
                  minds. To rejoice in difficulty doesn't seem reasonable, because the
                  natural way would be to give up and cry. But we rebound from trouble
                  faster when we turn off the tears and turn on the joy. It comes from the
                  inside and goes to the outside - and that is how the u hi so di, the
                  spell or gloom, is broken. If we have never done it before, we need to
                  learn how to think joy and act joyful, because the heart is listening -
                  and it is out of the heart that all issues are settled.
                  ~ I beg you now to believe that, all miserable as we seem in your eye,
                  we consider ourselves nevertheless much happier than you. ~
                  GASPESIAN CHIEF,  1676
                  Look behind you. See your sons and your daughters. They are your future.
                  Look farther and see your sons' and your daughters' children and their
                  children's children even unto the Seventh Generation. That's the way we
                  were taught. Think about it: you yourself are a Seventh Generation."
                  --Leon Shenandoah, ONONDAGA
                  The Creator designed us with a free will. That means we function from
                  choices and consequences. It is important that we practice thinking
                  about consequences before we make decisions about choices. Every choice
                  I make is like setting up dominos one after the other that produce
                  consequences. Not just for me but also for my children and for the
                  children that are unborn. My choices and decision today will have
                  consequences for seven generations. For example, if I work on my own
                  spiritual development and I walk the Red Road, the odds are that my
                  children will. They will marry and their children will follow the Red
                  Road and so will my grandchildren even up to the seventh generation.
                  This will happen because of the choices and decisions that I make today.
                  Great Spirit,
                  grant that the choices
                  and decisions that I make today
                  will honor