Skeeter Tips

  • bigscoop@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2002
      I have no idea if these will work or not---but, perhaps worth trying.
      OK, mosquitos...prepare to be repelled!!!!! Use Bounce Fabric Softener
      Sheets...Best thing ever used in Louisiana..just wipe on & go...Great
      for Babies
      Bob, a fisherman, takes one vitaimin B-1 tablet a day April through
      October . He said it works. He was right. The odor the tablet gives out
      through your skin (YOU can not smell it) repels mosquitos,black flies,
      no seeum's, and knat's. It does not work on stinging insects. Hasn't had
      a mosquito bit in 33 years. Try it. Every one he has talked into trying
      it works on them. Vitimin B-1( Thiamine Hydrochloride 100 mg.)
      Kenn said NPR reports that if you eat bananas, the mosquitos like you,
      something about the banana oil as your body processes it. (Maybe they
      need the potassium too- lol) Stop eating bananas for the summer and the
      mosquitos will be much less interested.
      This is going to floor you, but one of the best insect repellents
      someone found (who is in the woods every day), is Vick's Vaporub.
      Plant marigolds around the yard, the flowers give off a smell that bugs
      do not like,
      so plant some in that garden also to help ward off bugs without using
      insecticides.
      "Tough guy" Marines who spend a great deal of time "camping out" say
      that the very best mosquito repellant you can use is
      Avon Skin-So-Soft bath oil mixed about
      half and half with alcohol.
      mix your own:
      20 drops Eucalyptus oil
      20 drops Cedarwood oil
      10 drops Tea Tree oil
      10 drops Geranium oil
      2 oz. carrier oil ( such as Jojoba )
      Mix together in a 4 oz. container. Apply to skin as needed avoiding the
      eye area. Keep out of reach of children. Test on a small area of skin
      for sensitivities . Experiment with different percentages of essential
      oil
      from Sharon:
      One of the best natural insect repellants that I've discovered is made
      from the clear real vanilla (not the grocery store vanilla extract which
      is mostly alcohol). This is the pure vanilla that is sold in Mexico.
      It's cheap there if you know of someone that lives there or in the US
      close to the border. If not, health food stores usually carry it or can
      order it for you. I use it half vanilla and half water and find that it
      works great for mosquitoes and ticks, don't know about other insects.
      when all else fails--get a frog.
      Susan~