Daily Meditation~~>

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 14, 2002
      Available online! "Cherokee Feast of Days Volume III"
      "THINK on THESE THINGS"
      by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      There is much to be said of small things. Even in this age of emphasis
      on bigness we must realize that bigness is only a mass of small things.
      An idea is a small thing. With it we can change our world. We can take a
      tiny seed and give it careful attention and reap a hundred fold. We can
      take a little idea and give it our attention and build it into a
      fortune.
      A smile is a small thing. Smile once at someone in passing and three
      will return the smile. Smiling is so contagious that it moves from
      person to person until a hundred smiling faces are the result of one.
      A thought is a small thing. One thought inspires another and another
      until a mental image is formed. From that mental image blueprints are
      drawn. And from those blueprints worlds are built.
      Hope is a small thing. One tiny glimmer of hope can lift us out of the
      deepest pit of darkness. One whisper of encouragement will help us to
      know that as long as there's hope there is an excellent chance.
      A wish is a small thing. Like a little prayer, it climbs the steps to an
      idea that makes a smile and gives us hope to make our wishes come true.
      For in small things are all great things formed, in little beginnings
      the possibilities of great events.
      September 13 - Daily Feast
      It is good to keep the promises we make to ourselves to enjoy a peaceful
      hour. How long has it been? How long has it been since we walked on a
      grassy hillside and watched the shadows hover and move? Walking is good
      for the legs - but it does wonders for the soul. The autumn season is
      one of the best times to walk and think. There is a rhythm in the earth
      that rises into our feet when we walk. In it is the healing and it
      centers the soul so that the cares of the world cannot get in to destroy
      peace. And peace has so many side effects. It restores youth and gives
      perspective to a world-weary mind.
      ~ The Great Spirit made these mountains and rivers for us, and all this
      land. ~
      BLACKFOOT - CROW, 1850's
      'A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II' by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      Elder's Meditation of the Day - September 13
      "The most important thing you can do during the course of the day is to
      pray."
      --Joe Coyhis, STOCKBRIDGE-MUNSEE
      There are many things we do during the day that are important. There are
      many places we have to go and there are many things to accomplish. The
      old ones say, the most important thing we can do is remember to take the
      time to pray. We should pray every morning and every evening. In this
      way we can be sure that the Great Spirit is running our lives. With the
      Great Spirit we are everything but without Him we are nothing. All
      Warriors know their greatest weapon is prayer. To spend time talking to
      the Creator is a great honor.
      Great Spirit,
      thank You for
      listening to my
      prayers.
      ------------------------>
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 10, 2002
        It has been written that an optimist is someone who can fall ten stories
        and call out to each floor in passing that everything is okay so far. It
        has also been said that an optimist is someone who refuses to see things
        as they really are.
        It is far better, the pessimist believes, to look for the worst so as to
        be pleasantly surprised when things are better than expected. Then, if
        they are as bad as imagined, the disappointment won't be quite so great.
        But this is somewhat like backing into a room so to avoid seeing the
        beauty of it, only to find it is an elevator shaft.
        There can be no advancement where we expect the worst and believe that
        going outside the limits of ordinary thinking is only day dreaming.
        Thinkers, capable of forecasting and predicting answers before the
        questions arise, are in great demand.
        Only the optimist can fill the bill. Only the optimist can dare to
        believe there are things waiting for discovery and further development.
        An optimist questions life the same as a pessimist - the difference is
        that the optimist knows there is an answer and that the answer can be
        found. Optimists are aware that the cherries of life have pits, but they
        are prepared to remove them. Their minds do not dwell on pits, but on
        the sweetness of the cherries.
        There will be situations that will make us afraid. Fear is a common
        sense emotion that keeps us from walking in front of a moving car or
        from jumping off the deep end of anything. And there are periods of
        natural anxiety when we want too much to perform well, and the
        butterflies begin to flutter.
        Then, there is another kind of fear that is unnatural. It has the
        ability to possess us and rule over our very lives. It is that "what if"
        fear that builds nests in our minds and hatches dire images that scare
        the daylights out of us. It can keep the lights off, the doors bolted,
        and the windows of our souls firmly locked against the most beautiful
        things in life.
        It is no disgrace in this day to ask for professional help in
        understanding our fears. Only the very foolish would consider this help
        a crutch. It is a brave person who admits the need for help and has the
        courage to go and find it.
        They are the pioneers in recognizing our existence as three-fold:
        Spirit, mind and body.
        November 10 - Daily Feast
        For those who have a wait-and-see attitude it is more wait than see.
        Then they claim it is better to not expect anything than to be
        disappointed. These people build the same mental images - but they see
        nothing. Being able to see in the spirit is as necessary as having a
        blueprint to build a house. The details need to be filled in, finally
        coming to that completed picture - so vivid and clear that it must come
        into being. Anything we touch or use was first an image, an idea, in
        someone's mind. Seeing it and sensing it and loving it is writing an
        order to receive it. Mental images should never lack from a poor
        consciousness. Even if it seems impossible, fill it in. Ideas often have
        miracles of their own.
        ~ Our fathers gave us many laws, which they learned from their fathers.
        These laws were good. ~
        IN-MUT-TOO-YAH-LAT-LAT  -  NEZ PERCE
        'A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II' by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
        Elder's Meditation of the Day - November 10
        "The battle for Indian children will be won in the classroom, not on the
        streets or on horses. The students of today are our warriors of
        tomorrow."
        --Wilma P. Mankiller, CHEROKEE
        The world is constantly changing. One of the strengths of Indian people
        has been our adaptability. In today's world, education is what we need
        to survive. We need doctors, lawyers, teachers, scientists. We can
        become these things and still live in a cultural way. We need to live in
        two worlds; the educated world and the Indian cultural world. Education
        will help protect our land, our people's health, and provide knowledge
        for our people. We must teach reading, writing and arithmetic. Also, we
        must teach the language, the culture, the ceremony and the tradition of
        our people.
        Creator, let me
        remember You
        are my teacher.
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 14, 2002
          All of us have at sometime questioned our normalcy as human beings. We
          wonder why we did this or that, why we reacted to something so
          violently, or why we failed to react at all. An American author,
          Katherine Fullerton Gerould, has written, "The only glory most of us
          have to hope for is the glory of being normal." And for all our
          questionable actions sometimes, normal people must be those who have
          felt not only the high points, but the low points of their emotions.
          It is not the fact that people run the gamut of their emotions that make
          them normal, but that they have had the ability to right themselves
          before they could impose upon the rights of others.
          The persons who never lose their tempers, not shed tears, nor refuse to
          respond to other people, but stay day after day in light, shallow
          experience, have never know what it is to come into the center of the
          calm so richly appreciated.
          All of us have made mistakes in behavior, some in ignorance, but more in
          bad taste. Perfection belongs to a higher Source. It is ours to strive
          for, and our mistakes are to use in the growing-up process.
          November 14 - Daily Feast
          Having a career agenda is nothing without a spiritual agenda to back it
          up. Good plans and good intentions are a part of getting ahead, but it's
          not so different from whipping up a cake and finding there's no oven to
          bake it in. We are not one dimension, or two - we are three dimensions:
          body, mind and spirit. Only a very foolish person believes you can
          develop one part and ignore the others. Balance is important - perfect
          balance. It is the only way we do anything, because without it we fall
          flat on our faces. So why plan on the sky being the limit when there's
          no idea what the Spirit it. Cool and suave it isn't, solid as gold it
          is.
          ~ When we look into the history of our race, we see some green spots
          that are pleasing to us. We also find many things to make the heart sad.
          ~
          JOHN ROSS - CHEROKEE CHIEF
          'A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II' by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
          Elder's Meditation of the Day - November 14
          "The hearts of little children are pure, and therefore, the Great Spirit
          may show to them many things which older people miss."
          --Black Elk (Hehaka Sapa) OGLALA LAKOTA
          Sometimes adults think they know more than the children. But the
          children are closer to the truth. Have you ever noticed how quickly they
          can let go of resentments? Have you ever noticed how free they are of
          prejudice? Have you ever noticed how well the children listen to their
          bodies? Maybe adults need to be more like children. They are so
          innocent. The children pray to the Creator and trust that He will take
          care of them.
          Grandfather,
          today let the
          children be my
          teacher.
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 24, 2003
            There must be a great many persons who have questioned their own wisdom
            in having fought for a principle. To so many, it seems all they gleaned
            from it was the title "different". Isn't this why so many refuse to
            stand up for what they believe? We look at them in disbelief, the idea
            that someone is trying to attract attention. If they are not twitted
            about their actions they are treated with cold indifference which can be
            even worse.
            It seems that if persons have the strength to say they will fight for a
            certain truth, they must also have the strength to fight alone without
            depending on those around them to tell them how they should conform.
            They must not be embarrassed to be counted as unusual in the pursuit of
            their particular belief.
            But the individuals who find themselves alone in the stand they take
            must remember that if it is truth they are following it will eventually
            win and at least they can live with themselves. Not everyone can say
            that.
            H.W. Beecher has written, "It is often said it is no matter what a man
            believes if he is only sincere. But let a man sincerely believe that
            seed planted without ploughing is as good as with; that January is as
            favorable for seed-sowing as April; and that cockle seed will produce as
            good a harvest as wheat, and is it so?"
            Sincerity, like trust, must be rooted in those basic truths that are for
            the good of everyone. If that which we sincerely believe in and live by
            is truly good, then the results will speak so loudly that all who really
            want to will see. Until we sincerely want to know good and do good, we
            will never know it. And until we do, we only half live.
            January 24 - Daily Feast
            Other people have no more power than we do. They may have the knack for
            making us think they can do anything. A little adjustment down in our
            minds will stop the thought that we must cope and compete with those who
            have greater advantages. If we believe anything holds us back, limits
            our ability, we can know beyond a doubt that more ability resides in us
            than we will ever have time to hone and develop. When we are doing
            something we love to do, it comes naturally to mind our own business and
            to polish our own skills. Love for the right work takes it out of the
            role of labor and competition and makes it into a work of art. Then, the
            little competitive self is dissolved into a powerful giant that didn't
            realize how much he was growing.
            ~ Your nation supposes that we, like the white people, cannot live
            without bread and pork and beer. But you ought to know that He, the
            Great Spirit and Master of Life has provided....for us in these spacious
            lakes....and woody mountains. ~
            PONTIAC,  1762
            Elder's Meditation of the Day - January 24
            "Always listen to what the Elders say."
            --Dona Josefa Medrano, HUICHOL, SIERRA MADRE, MEXICO
            In school we have been taught to go to the encyclopedia when we need
            information about certain subjects. From the time we are little, we have
            a natural tendency to seek out role models. When we need information
            about living we tend to seek out books about living. These maybe self
            help books. The world is full of information. For the Native people, we
            have our Elders. All races have Elders. Our lives will run much smoother
            when we listen to the Elders. They don't always tell us what we want to
            hear but they always tell us what we need to hear. The Elders have the
            ability to make the truth sweet.
            Creator, thank
            You for the
            Elders. Help
            me this day to
            listen to them.
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 14, 2003
              Happy Birthday Leanne (mi hermana)!
              Available online! 'Cherokee Feast of Days Volume III' Permission to post
              her messages was graciously given to me by Joyce Sequichie Hifler.
              Courage must have its everyday face. We can't preserve it just for
              special occasions. We must have courage when we are disappointed,
              because disappointment is a robber of reason and faith, and even
              dignity. We must remember that whatever we have to meet there is
              something within us to help us meet it. But it is like a vein of rich
              ore. We must tap it, know what it is, and turn it into a finished
              product that will serve a purpose.
              Every day we must have courage to forgive. The adamant we shall always
              face, but to forgive is to disarm. To forgive is to release and to
              release is to remove the graceless things that make it necessary to
              forgive.
              A little common, everyday courage can give a life so much more to live
              for and to find contentment in the knowledge that today I did not give
              in to the smaller self. And I can draw on the strength from One who bore
              personal suffering with supreme courage.
              A comforting adage is that it is always darkest just before the dawn.
              The darkest of fear and worry and misunderstanding can last only so
              long, and then the light of dawn breaks through to show everything in
              its true perspective.
              To someone who is troubled, the darkness holds only the most frightening
              difficulties. This kind of night seems to have no end, but given a
              little time it will pass, as will our problems. The very fact that we
              are not alone should give some comfort, for no matter what we are
              experiencing someone else has been there too. We must not delude
              ourselves with notions that we are meant to be cross-bearers forever.
              And frequently, they are much better people who emerge from their own
              night to remember that it is as important to have faith in the dark as
              it is easy to have faith in the sunshine.
              February 13 - Daily Feast
              Once a person gets despair out of the way, few things can slow his
              progress. Despair is the dividing line between those who can take
              impossibility in stride and those who wilt at the first sign of
              opposition. Too much energy is absorbed in despair. Strength gives way
              to weakness and weakness robs us of the will to overcome. Anything that
              wastes energy should be left behind. Energy cuts doubt to the bone. When
              a word of power is spoken, new strength is generated. Power words are
              not just u wo du hi, pretty words, but strong words of courage that are
              heard in the ear and then in the heart where they stay to do a perfect
              work.
              ~ This is a serious time with you. May the Lord bring you out of all
              your troubles. Trust your course with Him. ~ CHIEF JOHN ROSS
              products from their website: http://www.whitebison.org Elder's
              Meditation of the Day - February 13 "I wanted to feel, smell, hear and
              see, but not see with my eyes and my mind only. I wanted to see with
              CANTE ISTA-the eye of the heart." --Lame Deer, LAKOTA
              Why is it what some people seem to have peace of mind every day? How do
              some people remain so darn positive? How do you stay positive if you
              work or live in a negative environment? How is it that two people can
              observe the same difficult situation, but one person is upset about it,
              and other isn't? Two people experiencing the same situation react
              entirely different. If each morning we ask the Creator to allow us to
              see with His understanding and with His love, we will open a new way of
              "seeing". This eye of the heart is a free gift given to us if we ask for
              it in prayer each day.
              Grandfather,
              allow me to see
              the world and
              all things You
              have made
              through "the
              eye of my
              heart."
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 29, 2003
                In this day of emphasis on right connections with the right people, in
                the right places, at the right time, we must have truly extraordinary
                qualities to become successes on our own.
                They who have worked hard and achieved success often carry a double
                burden by wrongful accusations of being privileged characters. Perhaps
                some to whom doors automatically open because of right connections seem
                to be privileged characters, but they, like dictators, have a limited
                existence.
                Having connections may help us on the ladder of life, but it will never
                keep those rungs steady beneath our feet. Only our own greatness keeps
                us tall, sun-crowned. We must have something to give, something to offer
                before we can expect to be truly privileged characters. And then, we
                will have earned the right to our privileges. We are somewhat like God,
                blamed for much we don't do and seldom given credit for the good we have
                done.
                Whatever the future, the world still needs citizens like those J.G.
                Holland wrote about nearly a century ago: "God give us men. The times
                demand strong minds, great hearts, true faith, and willing
                hands.....Tall men, sun-crowned, who live above the fog, in public duty
                and in private thinking!"
                March 28 - Daily Feast
                Few sounds in nature are harsh. Even the rolling thunder that rumbles
                across the sky has solemn beauty. The wind makes whistles in the
                treetops and wild birds warble like rivulets of water that make harps
                among the shallows.  The frenzied crash and blare come from man. The
                woods comfort with their sounds. A tiny yellow warbler with black wings
                sits in the redbud tree and makes the sound of an astral flute, a clear
                call for peace and harmony. If the bird wants a tranquil place - how
                much more we need it. A wet-weather spring feeds the ground from
                beneath, giving ferns moisture and life. In the rainy season the water
                flows and the delicate fronds mingle with the water creating a swishing
                sound. Surely we can absorb the serenity to heal and soothe our souls.
                ~ Creator of the world, Maker of all men; Lord of lords, my eyes fail
                me.....for the sole desire to know thee. ~
                INCA HYMN
                Elder's Meditation of the Day - March 28
                "Sacred sites and areas are protection for all people?the four colors
                for man?and these sites are in all areas of the earth in the four
                directions."
                --Traditional Circle of Elders, NORTHERN CHEYENNE
                The Elders say that values come from the Mother Earth. Different places
                and areas around the Earth have different values. The Water people live
                in harmony and know the values that correspond to that particular part
                of the Earth. The Desert people know the values of the desert and
                respect and live in harmony with that part of the Earth. The Woodland
                people know the values of their part of the Earth and live in harmony.
                If you live in harmony with the Earth, you will live a life that is full
                of values. We should have great respect for the Mother Earth.
                Grandfather,
                today, let me
                learn values
                from Mother
                Earth
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 5 12:11 PM
                  From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Sat, Apr 5, 2003, 10:26am To:
                  [openfires] April 5 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
                  openfires@yahoogroups.com
                  It doesn't seem that a simple thing like going fishing could have such
                  excellent results when the world suddenly seems too much. It is a very
                  difficult thing to worry when your mind is fixed intently on a little
                  red and white plastic float bobbing in the water.
                  Just taking one's mind off the general routine of living for even a
                  short time is like a much needed and appreciated vacation. We seldom
                  recognize the need for getting away from the monotony of following each
                  day with another day exactly like it. We lose the value of the hours and
                  minutes and lump them all together and plod along expecting miracles to
                  come some day and save us.
                  The effort we have to give is in releasing the problem and concentrating
                  on something beautifully simple and uncomplicated. Living doesn't seem
                  so ominous when we can go fishing for a little peace and quiet, and
                  sidetrack the things that weigh so heavily on our minds.
                  Good health is such a blessing. We don't all realize how much we aid or
                  harm our own health. In fact, we give much more thought to being careful
                  not to get wet than being careful not to get angry. And it is said that
                  anger can lower resistance to colds much quicker than getting wet.
                  It is a proven fact that to feel love builds a resistance to illnesses
                  while resentment and hate can destroy both mind and body.
                  Longfellow once wrote that joy, temperance, and repose would slam the
                  door on the doctor's nose. There's no doubt but that most doctor's noses
                  are safe. But they, too, would be glad if more patients would exercise
                  their abilities to lift themselves out of much of their ill health by
                  knowing some measure of joy rather than self pity, some healthy thoughts
                  and less thought of self.
                  We lower our resistance to ill health in many ways, but none works
                  against us as surely as worry, anxiety, and care, plus our inability to
                  recognize the fact that we are our own greatest enemy.
                  April 5 - Daily Feast
                  Power of some kind affects everything we do. But this power is not
                  political or electronic so that one little glitch can wipe it out in
                  seconds. The real power is what the Cherokee calls adadolisdi - which is
                  prayer. Quicker than lightning, it if is handled the right way it can do
                  anything. Born of spirit, this power is dynamite. It does not rely on
                  outside currents of energy to keep it going, but thrives on
                  self-generated faith that is properly fed and well-kept. We have no idea
                  how dynamic this inner power is until we begin to rely totally on things
                  and people outside ourselves. It is then that we feel the lack of joy
                  needed to connect us to powerful adadolisdi, the language of love and
                  worship. We can overcome the impossible with fire and nettle. We can
                  grow in stamina with every breath - when we learn to use the power that
                  is within us.
                  ~ We may quarrel with men about things on earth, but we never quarrel
                  about the Great Spirit. ~
                  CHIEF JOSEPH
                  Elder's Meditation of the Day - April 5
                  "As we plunge ahead to build empires and race for supremacy we should
                  stop and listen to [the female] song of life. For without the female
                  there is no life."
                  Women are created with the ability to produce life. Women have a special
                  tie to the Earth Mother. They have something in common. They are the
                  source of life. The Earth Mother gives songs to the Woman to sing. These
                  songs are about life, about beauty, about children, about love, about
                  family, about strength, about caring, about nurturing, about
                  forgiveness, about God. The World needs to pay attention and listen to
                  Her. She knows.
                  Great Spirit,
                  let me listen to
                  Her songs.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 31, 2003
                    From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Thu, Jul 31, 2003, 9:05am To:
                    [Tradition_OF_The_Redroad] July 31 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
                    In this day of emphasis on right connections with the right people, into
[...]
                    Rejoice when the going gets rough, when everything turns mean. It is
                    time to shout and clap our hands - if only in the privacy of our own
                    minds. To rejoice in difficulty doesn't seem reasonable, because the
                    natural way would be to give up and cry. But we rebound from trouble
                    faster when we turn off the tears and turn on the joy. It comes from the
                    inside and goes to the outside - and that is how the u hi so di, the
                    spell or gloom, is broken. If we have never done it before, we need to
                    learn how to think joy and act joyful, because the heart is listening -
                    and it is out of the heart that all issues are settled.
                    ~ I beg you now to believe that, all miserable as we seem in your eye,
                    we consider ourselves nevertheless much happier than you. ~
                    GASPESIAN CHIEF,  1676
                    Look behind you. See your sons and your daughters. They are your future.
                    Look farther and see your sons' and your daughters' children and their
                    children's children even unto the Seventh Generation. That's the way we
                    were taught. Think about it: you yourself are a Seventh Generation."
                    --Leon Shenandoah, ONONDAGA
                    The Creator designed us with a free will. That means we function from
                    choices and consequences. It is important that we practice thinking
                    about consequences before we make decisions about choices. Every choice
                    I make is like setting up dominos one after the other that produce
                    consequences. Not just for me but also for my children and for the
                    children that are unborn. My choices and decision today will have
                    consequences for seven generations. For example, if I work on my own
                    spiritual development and I walk the Red Road, the odds are that my
                    children will. They will marry and their children will follow the Red
                    Road and so will my grandchildren even up to the seventh generation.
                    This will happen because of the choices and decisions that I make today.
                    Great Spirit,
                    grant that the choices
                    and decisions that I make today
                    will honor