Daily Meditation~~~~>

    Message 1 of 130 , Aug 31, 2002
      Now available online! "Cherokee Feast of Days Volume III"
      "THINK on THESE THINGS"
      by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      If you don't know what to do about a situation - wait awhile, the answer
      will come. If weariness overcomes you before you've completed a
      difficult job, wait awhile, you'll get your second wind.
      If you do not agree with someone else's philosophy, don't fret, perhaps
      later you will come to know that the same philosophy can be reached from
      many different directions.
      If you think the activities of another person or group are frivolous and
      unnecessary, wait a bit, they most likely will feel the same way about
      you sometime.
      If you don't like what others have to say, wait, they may clarify it -
      or you may change your mind.
      If life hasn't dished you unhappiness, wait a bit, if you've planted any
      happiness seeds, you will also reap.
      We can't always wait, but sometiems waiting is action, and action of the
      hardest kind. It is difficult to keep quiet when you have something to
      say, but it more often saves your face later and sometimes your life.
      August 31 - Daily Feast
      A person totally dominated by his emotions is little different from a
      piece of paper lifted and tossed by the wind. Everything centers around
      caution - don't do this, don't say that - or an emotional explosion can
      take place. None of us escapes emotional extremes. We have cried our
      hearts out and laughed hilariously in all the wrong places. We have
      known melancholy and ragged nerves. But most of us know how to stabilize
      our feelings. The unstable times are when someone feels he has a right
      to blow. Without sadness or happiness we could be deadly indifferent,
      but to be blown about with every emotion is a waste of human spirit.
      ~ May the Lord bring you out of all your troubles. Trust your course
      with Him. ~
      JEREMIAH EVARTS - ATTORNEY FOR CHEROKEES
      'A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II' by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      Inc., an American
      Indian-owned non-profit organization. Order their many products from
      their website:
      http://www.whitebison.org
      Elder's Meditation of the Day - August 31
      "Our Creator makes available to us all that we need. It is an honor to
      go out and gather it. We must remember to say 'Thank You.' It is
      honorable to give away, to show our gratitude... and to let the children
      see this."
      --Barney Bush, SHAWNEE
      So many times we forget to say "thank You" to the Creator. He made for
      us and abundant universe. He built the Mother Earth to reproduce plenty
      of everything. It is an honor to be a part of the Great Spirit's world.
      The Creator always gives us what we need. When we are given things, we
      should be willing to share it with others. Whenever we give to others,
      this makes us feel good inside. The more we give, the better we feel.
      The better we feel, the more we want to give. We need to teach this to
      our children. The children learn by our behavior.
      My Creator,
      thank you for
      today. Thank
      you for the sun.
      Thank you for
      the earth.
      Thank you for
      my life. Thank
      you for......
      ------------------------>
      Message 130 of 130 , Jul 23 11:45 AM
        From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Wed, Jul 23, 2003, 9:08am To:
        [Tradition_OF_The_Redroad] July 23 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
        How weak-willed we are at times when we've made a decision and know we
        must stand on it. It is so much easier to give in to the easy way of
        doing things.
        We are almost a "house divided against itself," and the strain of
        staying with a decision seems almost our enemy. But we never gain much
        stature by giving in to ourselves against our better judgement. And we
        never get anywhere by scattering our efforts.
        Making a decision is difficult enough without losing one's determination
        in following through. Laying down the responsibility is someone like
        warning children to behave themselves and then permitting them to
        continue to misbehave.
        How long has it been since you've proven to yourself that you mean
        business in carrying out a plan?
        A man of wisdom has written that we have firmness of character when we
        have the ability to say "no" to the wrong as well as to those things
        which are good but stand in the way of our progress.
        Always remember that to want something that is good and right is the
        blessing. God gave us that ability to desire or we would never have
        thought of using it. But God also gave us the ability to cry, to feel
        pain, and the freedom to choose whether we go on or quit.
        In our lives we face many decisions. Some are hard to make because we
        know we must turn our backs upon something that seems harmless at the
        moment simply because we know it would not be good in the long run.
        But there are also decisions that are more challenge than decision. They
        are the good things that are placed before us, and our will to follow
        through is tested. When defeat seems sure, then is the time to begin to
        fight. When others are quitting, then is the time to throw more strength
        into the battle. Anything worth having is worth working for, and is of
        lasting value.
        Very often these sieges must be made silently and without seeming
        effort. And yet we know we cannot get something for nothing. We have a
        service to perform. We can make it a drudge, or we can make it a
        delightful experience, according to our faith. Be persistent. Unless you
        do not particularly want your dreams to come true, you can't afford to
        know the meaning of apathy. You must continually be on the scene with
        the muscles of your mind toned.
        It isn't difficult to have a dream. But it often ceases at that point.
        The willingness to follow through, the determination to look
        impossibilities in the eye and trudge on must be practiced before that
        dream can amount to anything.
        All along life's road there are those who would discourage you, every
        often in ignorance, not realizing the effect of their words upon you. It
        is then that you must muster the strength to believe that theirs is only
        an opinion while your plans are based on the principle that all good
        things come to those who hustle while they wait.
        It is too bad that they cannot see your invisible companions,
        persistence, faith, and a worthwhile plan. Smile and walk on.
        There is a Divine Being with whom we can place all our obstacles, all
        our doubts and fears - and then our work begins. We give lovingly of
        friendship, of any kind of help that we are capable of giving, of
        positive words and thoughts and understanding.
        Give without thought of return. For while we are giving with loving
        selflessness, life shapes for us our heart's desire.
        Much is lost through misunderstanding - and often because we want
        someone to know we are angry. We choose to think they intentionally
        displease us, though we know nothing of their circumstance of what their
        thoughts really were. It must be an ego-building thing to believe that
        someone is trying to offend us. Somehow it gives an importance where
        there had been none. We have the uncanny knack of building a sad story
        with such realism that it makes us think we are more important than we
        are. It is not enjoyable to be the kind of person who wants to
        misunderstand - not only other people, but also life itself. It is
        painful to be unhappy and disagreeable, but some cannot resist the
        temptation.
        ~ It has come to me through the bushes that you are not united
        (agreeable); come to me when you are united. ~
        BIG BEAR
        "...the greatest strength is in gentleness."
        --Leon Shenandoah, ONONDAGA
        Our Elders have taught us many lessons about becoming a Warrior and how
        to think and act like one. We have been told about the power of
        gentleness. We have been told about the power of the stillness. Physical
        power is about effort. Mental power is the opposite. It's about being
        effortless or less any effort. Gentleness is one of the greatest
        attributes of the Warrior and one of the greatest mental powers. It
        takes a lot of love to be gentle. Gentleness is not an ego word.
        Gentleness is the weapon of the Great Spirit.
        My Creator,
        today I will be gentle
        with myself
        and with others.