Daily Meditation~~~.

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 21, 2002
      Now available online! "Cherokee Feast of Days Volume III"
      "THINK on THESE THINGS"
      by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      Think on pleasant things. Deliberately turn your thoughts to something
      pleasant when the pressures are too intense. And be careful as
      undisciplined thought quickly sifts back to the unhappy, unsettled mind.
      The greater part of the time we are victims of our emotions. They play
      havoc with our peace of mind and are great friends of pessimism. They
      tell us things are true with such sincerity that we believe them into
      fact. They convince us things are a certain way and that we cannot
      remedy them with any amount of effort.
      But stop where you are and consider what it is you are listening to and
      how it affects your feelings. Do a turn-about and take the positive
      route of deliberately replacing thoughts of unhappiness, injustices, and
      misunderstandings with the thought that these are merely chariots to
      carry us past all that has withheld freedom.
      August 21 - Daily Feast
      A person has to have enough confidence in himself to go ahead and run a
      good race, even when he knows it is going to be grueling and that he
      might not be the winner. But that is so much better than sitting down
      and saying to himself that he isn't good enough to try. Most people tend
      to lean on the belief that they are not good enough. But no one starts
      out good enough. It is the getting up and getting into living that makes
      us good enough. At times self-esteem melts like ice in the sun, but it
      certainly does not mean we do not qualify. The fight is not with others
      - but with ourselves. We have to overcome ourselves and all our hidden
      voices that tell us we are not going to make it.
      ~ I am here on my own ground and I will never go back. You can kill me
      here but you cannot make me go back. ~
      DULL KNIFE - CHEYENNE
      'A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II' by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      Elder's Meditation of the Day - August 21
      "The greater the faith, the greater the result."
      --Fools Crow, LAKOTA
      The Creator designed us to act on faith. We are able to do this by
      holding firm to our beliefs. If we believe something and if we don't
      want the belief to change, we need to add the power of the Great Spirit
      to this belief. We must always have the spiritual added to our beliefs.
      If we don't add the Spirit, then we may very well change our minds
      during the first time we are tested. Each time we are tested and we
      don't change our minds, we get stronger. The wind may blow on the red
      willow trees bending them and causing the roots to grow deeper. The more
      the wind bends the tree, the bigger, stronger and deeper the roots grow.
      We should be happy that we are tested. It's the Creator's way of making
      us have greater faith for greater results.
      Great Mystery,
      Grandfather, I
      know if I am
      tested today
      that I can
      count on You
      to give me the
      courage to get
      to the other
      side. On the
      other side of
      every test is the
      reward of
      strength. Make
      me strong.
      ----------------------->
      Message 2 of 5 , May 18, 2003
        From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Sun, May 18, 2003, 10:00am To:
        [Tradition_OF_The_Redroad] May 18 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
        Bad feelings are burdens. When we get to the point of believing the
        whole world is sour because we don't understand it, we have a lot of
        self-searching to do. Maybe we helped it to lose its sweetness. Maybe
        we're the bad apple that soured the whole lot.
        Our first thought should be to make amends. Sometimes we can't, and when
        such is the case we need to get out of the way and let time and nature
        take its course.
        Life is too beautiful to go on being a bitter pill that insists that
        everyone swallow it. As in the words of Caleb C. Colton, an English
        clergyman around the turn of the century, "The man who has so little
        knowledge of human nature as to seek happiness by changing anything but
        his own dispositions, will waste his life in fruitless efforts, and
        multiply the grief which he proposes to remove."
        We need to unburden ourselves by forgetting our problems and doing
        something that will put a smile on someone else's face.
        The quickest way to solve the problem of hurt feelings is to inquire if
        this situation is important to the whole of existence. Does this
        particular thing mean more than any of the other things of life? It is
        amazing how quickly trials fade into nothingness when faced with this
        question. It places before us the need to decide here and now the
        meaning of our whole existence.
        There are not many things in our lives that we can truthfully say mean
        everything to us. The small things are important and very dear, but the
        really significant things we count on one hand - life, our loved ones,
        our good desires, our faith, and our nation.
        One of the most magnified situations in this day is taking life too
        seriously. In the stress of too much mental confusion we seem unable to
        laugh off so many little irritations. We let personality rule us into
        making each little problem the source of great anxiety and dramatically
        lay hold of it until it chokes us.
        The worthwhile side of this life is too important to let ourselves
        become involved with things that mean little to us. Too much of the
        trouble in the world is caused from ego-building importance that would
        never be missed in anyone's existence.
        May 18 - Daily Feast
        Have we lost control of who we are? Have we allowed ourselves to get in
        a position of little or no control - believing that we must forfeit bits
        and pieces of who we are to get along? The one weapon against us that
        has the total respect of the world is the business of weight loss. Never
        have so many fought so long to lose so little. Think of the dollar value
        put on a pound of flesh - the hype, the remorseful tears, the acceptance
        that we cannot control our eating. Though over-indulging in anything is
        dis-ease, it is not disease. It is the silent enemy, the spirit of
        destruction that the Cherokee calls u so nv i, which is not good but
        downright evil. It is the enemy with no power except subliminal
        suggestion. But enter the Great Holy Spirit, and its great roar is but a
        pipsqueak. We have to care, but we also need to know the truth to be
        free.
        ~ When the Great Father sent out men to our people, I was poor and
        thin,; now I am large and stout and fat. It is because so many liars
        have been sent.....and I have been stuffed full of their lies. ~
        RED DOG,  1870
        Elder's Meditation of the Day May 18
        "...Grandmother the Earth. That power is here all the time. It is
        continuous, and nobody controls it."
        --Wallace Black Elk, LAKOTA
        There are certain powers that the human being has no choice but to obey.
        We cannot negotiate or barter with this power. Our choice is either to
        conform or to live out of harmony. Whatever our choice, it will be the
        end result in our lives that we notice. So it is with the powers of the
        Earth which produce life. The Earth has the life force power. If anyone
        plants a seed, the seed will grow. The Earth treats everyone equally.
        The human cannot interfere, only obey. We should all show great respect
        for the Earth and Her powers.
        Great Spirit,
        today,
        let me honor
        and respect
        the power
        of the Grandmother,
        the Earth.
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 9, 2003
          From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Sun, Jun 8, 2003, 1:20am To:
          [Tradition_OF_The_Redroad] June 8 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
          If everyone were alike, what a dull world this would be. It is the
          individuality of each person that makes the world so interesting.
          The tremendous differences in people give a wide range of personalities,
          beliefs, and appearances to every group, no matter how small.
          If all the flowers in the world were of one color, would we think them
          beautiful? It is the variety and wide range of rainbow colors that keeps
          us fascinated.
          Cowper wrote, "Variety is the very spice of life, that gives it all its
          flavor." So many have no thought of life except what they will east,
          what they will wear, and how they can entertain themselves. And then we
          come on someone who has the ability to see loveliness in the sunlight
          and charm in quiet rain. They can say things to encourage, to make calm
          and peaceful.
          We meet many different kinds of people. Some we love and some we like
          and love, which is a terrific difference. It is to find a wholeness or a
          part of our lost self in someone else. It isn't that they are so much
          like us or that we believe the way they do, but that they communicate,
          and it is this rare communication that respects the differences between
          peoples.
          June 8 - Daily Feast
          It is unfortunate when someone fails us, but it isn't as bad as when we
          fail ourselves. The minute we make a mistake or fall short, we begin to
          condemn ourselves. How could we have been so dumb, so inept, so
          careless? We are victims by our own mouths. It is too easy to make a
          habit of thinking we are second-rate, not quite equal to others. If we
          say it enough times, we think it, and it feeds down into our hearts to
          surface again when we don't need it. Who can love us if we do not love
          ourselves? Who will build us up if we are busy tearing us down?
          Confidence is winning over self - not others. But we have to stir up the
          gift that is within us, see that we appreciate all the small things we
          can do well. We can only be what we give ourselves power to be.
          ~ These words are mine and they are true. ~
          CHIEF MENINOCK
          Elder's Meditation of the Day June 8
          "So we are connected to the moon. That gives us power, a connection to
          the earth and the moon, men don't know about."
          --Cecilia Mitchell, MOHAWK
          The Elders tell us that the Woman has access to special powers. The
          Earth Mother gives her love in a special way to the Woman. The Moon also
          gives special powers to the Woman. She uses these powers to nurture,
          heal and guide the people.
          Great Spirit,
          today,
          give
          a special
          Blessing
          our Women.
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 6, 2003
            From:  Donna <gringa@...>
            Date:  Sun Jul 6, 2003  10:37 am
            Subject:  July 5 - Daily Meditations
            There are very few days when we have control of our time. No matter what
            our schedules may be, there is always a change taking place that keeps
            something from happening when it is supposed to happen. And when the day
            is ended and our schedules have not been met, then it begins to drag on
            our spirits.
            Soon we become so wound up in the problems of the moment that the
            delights of our souls drift away and become a part of the mist of
            "someday." Someday I will get to do what I want to do. Someday when this
            necessary work is finished - and it is possible that the things we
            believe to be so necessary are really robbers of our lives? Do we spend
            too much time with the menial tasks and allow our creativity - the
            ability to bring newness into our lives - to dry up and become
            nonexistent?
            William Blake called this within us "God." One of the greatest poets
            ever to live, he believed that if we keep alive our ability to see and
            feel the beauty of life, our menial tasks will become easy and the way
            successful.
            Yesterday is only a dream, tomorrow only a vision, but today - we live.
            If we live as we should, our yesterdays will be dreams of happiness, and
            our tomorrows will be visions of hope.
            Nothing is so sad as the man who spends all his time today judging
            tomorrow by his experiences of yesterday. He has a vision, but his faith
            does not support him to pursue it. If some great stroke of good fortune
            should overtake him, he will be all ready to go, but he doesn't really
            expect it to happen. So today he sits waiting for the world to change
            for him, never guessing that he is the one who must change.
            No one is so misled as the woman who has such a busy schedule that she
            hasn't time to listen to her children. She expects to take the time to
            play with them - someday. But it is today that the bridges must be built
            from the soul to the body to the spirit. It isn't something built from a
            quick kiss or a smart smack in the right place, but from daily communion
            and understanding.
            Today is the very life of life when the best things are nearest - breath
            in our nostrils, light in our eyes, flowers at our feet, duties at our
            hand, and the path of God before us.
            Remembering can be painful and sometimes without any real benefit. It
            keeps us feeling guilty and regretting so much that the good memories
            are washed out. It is easy enough to forget the good that happened,
            without covering the good with bad memories. No doubt, everything has
            not been ideal - but haven't we given enough thought to the unhappy
            times? It doesn't do any good to ruin the present time recalling what
            went wrong in the past. But we can begin to change. Maybe only a little
            at first - but honest effort has always changed things for the better
            and given us self-respect as well. Time grows more and more precious and
            what we do with it at this moment makes or breaks today and all our
            tomorrows.
            ~ We are not afraid to work and we are not afraid to do right. ~
            TOOKLANNI
            "It does not require many words to speak the truth."
            --Chief Joseph, NEZ PERCE
            The truth shall set you free. This is the truth. When we speak the
            Truth, we do not need to be defensive. Truth needs no defense. When we
            speak the Truth, we do not need to attack because Truth cannot be
            attacked. It is so easy to want to manipulate or to be deceitful or
            dishonest. My head tells me I can get away with doing these things,
            after all everybody does it.
            My Creator,
            today let me know Truth.
            Let me live Truth.
            Let me risk the Truth.
            Let me make the Truth sweet.
            Help me to make my word good.
            Let Your spirit and intent be added to by words.
            Let My thoughts be Truth.
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 24, 2003
              From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Thu, Jul 24, 2003, 1:13am To:
              [openfires] July 24 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
              openfires@yahoogroups.com
              At night sometimes the world seems so topsy-turvy and you're so weary of
              doing things the same old way. Then nothing seems to please....You try
              desperately for something new and different, something that doesn't seem
              so much like you. Why? Tonight you are different.
              One cannot expect the world to be top side up all the time. Such
              perfection does not come so easily to human nature. And always there is
              a search for something new and different. A change of pace....that
              thought that I don't want to be me today, to think my thoughts and do my
              daily chores. I want to make a complete change now, to know a whole new
              way of life. And it is good to leave behind the many daily situations
              that sometimes stand too closely to be seen clearly, but to be wise
              enough to know which things should be left behind.
              There have been clean sweeps that have left behind the dearest
              things....and have taken along the same dreary, dark unhappy things of
              the mind that should have been left behind.
              A line from the prayer of serenity is "The wisdom to know the
              difference...." And wisdom, says Samuel Taylor Coleridge, is common
              sense in an uncommon degree. If one has the wisdom to wait a bit, wait
              until morning - or several mornings - that uncommon degree of common
              sense will give us the wisdom to know the difference.
              How like moths we are when we are caught in the dark, beating our wings
              against anything that stands between us and the light. Though we strain
              against barriers, we are the a tsv s dv, we are the light or candle that
              lights the place where we are. Others who follow watch for a signal, a
              light in the dark, to know they are not alone. We need to take some time
              to be quiet, to recharge and it may mean waiting a while in the dark.
              But whatever our need, if we wait, the light will come. And it will
              illuminate us instead of blinding us with its glare.
              ~ The path to glory is rough and many gloomy hours obscure it. May the
              Great Spirit shed light on yours. ~
              BLACK HAWK
              "Life is like a path...and we all have to walk the path... As we
              walk...we'll find experiences like little scraps of paper in front of us
              along the way. We must pick up those pieces of scrap paper and put them
              in our pocket... Then, one day, we will have enough scraps of papers to
              put together and see what they say... Read the information and take it
              to heart."
              --Uncle Frank Davis (quoting his mother), PAWNEE
              The Creator designed us to learn by trial and error. The path of life we
              walk is very wide. Everything on the path is sacred - what we do right
              is sacred - but our mistakes are also sacred. This is the Creator's way
              of teaching spiritual people. To criticize ourselves when we make
              mistakes is not part of the spiritual path. To criticize mistakes is not
              the Indian way. To learn from our mistakes is the Indian way. The
              definition of a spiritual person is someone who makes 30-50 mistakes
              each day and talks to the Creator after each one to see what to do next
              time. This is the way of the Warrior.
              Today
              let me see my mistakes
              as a positive process.